What are you reading?

khay

Mein Kampf is an interesting read because it is so bad, full of lies about his background and shows he was a Nigel Farage character. Long on charisma (apparently) but short on real intelligent design. Like his leadership he gives sketchy outlines and lets people fill in the rest. Also shows what a lazy fucker he was too, he dictated the whole thing to Hess instead of writing it himself.

An interesting take. Not sure about the hess thing though, did they share a prison cell?

I thought Hess edited it after he'd written both parts?

Nope, dictated the whole thing.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/kampf.htm

also makes himself out as being a bit of a scamp who lead a gang of young boys in his youth. Not the sad little loner who hated his father and clung to his mother like a leech.

Just started on Mildred Pierce. Not read it before but love some of James M. Cain's other stuff (Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice).

Was looking to buy 'The Simple Path to Wealth' as recommended by by Gemmil (I had a £50 metro centre gift card). Not on Waterstones system though strangely so ended up with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1473652146/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484148623&sr=8-1π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+no+spend+year&dpPl=1&dpID=41znhWONJ1L&ref=plSrch

Was looking to buy 'The Simple Path to Wealth' as recommended by by Gemmil (I had a £50 metro centre gift card). Not on Waterstones system though strangely so ended up with this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1473652146/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484148623&sr=8-1π=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+no+spend+year&dpPl=1&dpID=41znhWONJ1L&ref=plSrch

That's bizarre actually - Waterstones can be fucking useless with stocking books though. They needs about a year's notice to get anywhere near ready for holding anything that isn't a blockbuster title.

I've started a revolution. ;)

Use some of the money you are gonna spend on that private number plate to get it off Amazon.

I thought you always made up your own stuff Gloom? Just basing this on your posts in the past from when you've been on about healthy eating etc. Must cost a fortune buying your lunch every day in the big smoke.

No, there are loads of places that do good healthy food near my office. And yeah, it isn't cheap but I'm lazy and it's convenient.

I was just responding to Gemmill's retire early by not buying lunch or coffee plan that was being discussed in a different thread. The fact I've saved money on lunch this week is going to be blown out of the water by dinner plans on Saturday night.

An absolutely scandalous portrayal of my argument. I've got a poncey spa day and night/dinner at a swanky hotel this weekend.

The point is not to stop doing things you enjoy 9r to become a cheapskate, it's to understand the impact over time of your tenner a day lunch and coffee insanity (40 grand over ten years) and knock it on the head (if you so wish).

Edited by Gemmill

The only book on Manson I'd recommend. Details the highly toxic drug scene in Laurel Canyon which was a big factor in the tragedies. It shows Manson and his connections from many years in prison with the criminal elements that were the main focus of his life and not all this bullshit about a 'race war' and 'Helter Skelter'.

http://www.nikolasschreck.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90%3Athe-manson-file-myth-and-reality-of-an-outlaw-shaman&catid=35&Itemid=53

51ON6VVjmPL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Park Life

• 2 months later...

There's a lot of self depreciating stuff in there and a lot of self awareness of his own dislikeability which he plays for laughs. But the stuff like that quote above is incessant and comes with no punchline.

I mean it is very funny, but it's clear where he thinks he's being self depreciating for comic effect and where he's being boastful without pulling off the knowing wink, if it was intended.

He finishes an anecdote about a small pub band he was tenuously linked to with

"by the way, what's the name of the band?"

"The Eurythmics"

Maybe I'm not giving him his due as a satirist of celebrity biographies. But reading it after Nomad doesn't help if it is supposed to be taking the piss.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonder - kids book that world for adults too, bit like curious incident of the dog at night time. V good.

glamorama - on Parky's recommendation. Enjoyed the first half, classic Easton Ellis. The second half with the terrorism plot line descends into farce.