Arsenal announce Henry departure

Jimbo

Can't help but laugh at how Arsenal could have had £50 million for him. A year and a few million pounds wages later he hasn't done that much for them, and they will get £34 million less. B)

Although its only a few months but I guess the thought of paying out for 28 yearold is a bit different to justify paying out a similar sum for someone who's nearly 30.

Definitely, but it just goes to show Arsenal is the loser in this one.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bobby, what's the Catalan for va va voom?

(Nearly got my head kicked in shouting that in a room full of Arsenal fans watching the CL final last year! That and a few other chants..I'd been drinking)

I'll miss the great player, but not the arrogant tosser. Hope we don't lose one of our strikers to the Arse.

THIERRY HENRY last night opened his heart on why he is quitting Arsenal for Barcelona.

In an exclusive letter to SunSport readers, he said: “It’s now or never for me — sadly it has to be ‘Now’.”

Henry, 29, will have a medical at the Nou Camp on Monday.

Barca claim he will sign for £16million in a four-year deal worth £128,000 a week.

In his letter, Henry added: “Arsene Wenger has said that at this moment he will not commit to the club past the expiration of his current deal, which finishes at the end of this coming season.

“I respect his decision and honesty but I will be 31 at the end of next season and I cannot take the chance to be there without Arsene Wenger and David Dein.”

Henry also cites Dein’s departure as vice-chairman as a key reason for his move.

He added: “David Dein is no longer there and there is no denying the fact this has de-stabilised the team and the manager.”

Henry held talks with Wenger on Wednesday.

They came after Wenger made it clear he was not ready to extend his deal as manager.

It meant the time had come for skipper Henry to end his eight-year love affair with the Gunners.

Wenger met with Barca’s financial director Ferran Soriano in France last week.

Henry has parted company with agent Jerome Anderson and will arrange personal terms himself.

Barca were last night celebrating victory after a two-year chase for Henry, who will form a devastating strike force with Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto’o.

The news comes as a devastating blow to Arsenal fans and places a huge question mark over Wenger’s future.

The Catalan giants will now make Wenger their No 1 target to replace boss Frank Rijkaard.

Barca supremo Joan Laporta said: “Henry is one of the greatest players in the world and a player who could improve our side. He has interested us for a long time.”

Henry hit 226 goals in 364 games at Arsenal, winning two titles and four FA Cups.

The striker, who arrived from Juventus for £10.5m in 1999, has flirted with Barcelona since they first targeted him in 2005.

Tbh I reckon Wenger should follow him there, his big mate Dein is gone and it looks like he's not going to be given the money to compete with the rest of the big 4 so realistically Arsenal aren't going to win the PL or CL next season.

Bastard.

Means i owe my housemate £5.

He's not getting it like B)

Tighter than a duck's butt you are.

Well he shouldnt make a bet ,then go and win it should he? B)

Arsenal are fucked now.

Not really, he hardly played last season. I'd go so far as to say they missed van Persie more.

They missed him massively, just they still had a good enough squad and manager to retain a decent position, but genuinely challenge for the title? No way.

Also if he is worth £16m how can anyone justify £17m for Bent? B)

Just goes to show how fucking silly the prices are for English players in the Premiership. Bent for £17m or £18m or Thierry Henry for £16m. It would be nice if this was a benchmark by which clubs/agents gauged transfer values this season so we can get away from some of the silly figures banded about for the likes of Andy Johnson, David Nugent, Dean Ashton and Bent.

Agree with Gemmill, Henry going for £16m just shows how fucking silly the likes of West Ham are getting making bids for mediocre players.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tevez replace him.

Barca are going to be awesome next season, with Toure coming to add a bit of solidarity to midfield and Chivu on the way from Roma as well.