Barton/Zoggy/Duff

Butt/Emre? Diarra?

Dyer/Milner

Bridge?/Edgar

Rozehnal/Huntington/Ramage

Beye?/Taylor

Geremi/Solano

Given/Harper/Krul

A left-back, holding-role midfielder and another central defender will do, tbh.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/6244976.stm

Magpies hope to seal Geremi deal

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is hoping to complete the signing of Chelsea's utility man Geremi on Monday.

The 28-year-old is out of contract at Stamford Bridge after four years with the Blues and talks with Newcastle are believed to be already under way.

Geremi, who can play at right-back or anywhere in midfield, is being chased by a number of Premier League sides.

Allardyce has already signed midfielder Joey Barton, striker Mark Viduka and defender David Rozehnal this summer.

Allardyce said last week: "Geremi is something we would like to pursue, but many other clubs in the Premier League will be doing exactly the same thing as Newcastle.

"Hopefully we can persuade him - if we get the opportunity - to join this football club and not the others who will be chasing him as well as us."

The Magpies are also in talks with Barcelona over a possible swoop for their Brazilian star Edmilson.

geremi will be an asset. better than carr at right back and can play in midfield.

Is he though?

He's a midfielder being played in defence, I've not seen enough of him to know quite how good he was there for Chelsea last season. Did anybody else see much of him? I know Carr can be shit, but at least it's his natural position.

There's every chance he was brilliant there last season, I don't remember him standing out at any stage.

In either case he'll probably be a decent acquisition as he can play in a few positions.

Owen/Ameobi?

Viduka/Luque?

Martins?/Gudjohnsen

Barton/Zoggy/Duff

Butt/Emre? Hangeland?

Dyer/Milner

Bridge?/Edgar

Rozehnal/Huntington/Ramage

Beye?/Taylor

Geremi/Solano

Given/Harper/Krul

A left-back, holding-role midfielder and another central defender will do, tbh.

Hangeland is actually a central defender, but apparently can play as a defensive midfielder. He in central defence all season for FCK in the Danish premiership. Strong header, but doesn't look that fast. He playeds alongside Michael Gravgaard, that was a toon target earlier.

IMO going for Hypia would be the wiser choice, instead of Hangeland. They have similiar qualities, but Hypia have at least proven himself in the Premier League, though Hangeland is alot younger

Still not a bad price for someone who should be playing at about their peak I suppose, and can fill a couple of positions where we require cover.

Exactly.

I reckon he's worth £2m, more because that's his value to our team rather than any cost to Chelsea to replace him.

plus, £2m is hardly breaking the bank.

I think its a step in the right direction compared to some of our previous signings(under Roeder). He looked a decent full back at chelsea which is where I think BS will use him plus he has the option of slotting into midfield in the event of injuries.I dont think there is any hope of Bridge joining us but I would like to see Baines & Young, neither of which should need much persuading considering their present clubs. ;)

remember geremi as the rampaging full back for real madrid in the 2001 season, eventually getting replaced/ alternating with salgado.

he is definitely better than carr as a full back because he's played in a championship wimnning side, carr is past his best and playing like he's facing the gallows for gods sake!

NEWCASTLE United today completed the signing of Cameroon World Cup star Geremi.

The Chelsea defender has quit Stamford Bridge in favour of a switch to Tyneside, where he has been assured of more first-team opportunities under new Toon chief Sam Allardyce.

United will pay the Blues £2m for Geremi’s services and he will sign a three-year deal after passing a medical at the club’s Benton HQ.

The player broke off from his holiday in Africa to fly to Tyneside, and was impressed by the set-up and the area.

Geremi is no stranger to the North East after spending time with Middlesbrough four years ago, an experience that will make his transition from the Blues an even easier one.

It takes United’s tally to four in the summer transfer window, with Aussie striker Mark Viduka already on board, having snubbed a new deal at Middlesbrough, and cash signings Joey Barton from Manchester City and Czech defender David Rozehnal also looking forward to the new season at Gallowgate.

However, the capture of the versatile Geremi will provide Allardyce with options at both right-back and midfield, as he has played in several different roles throughout his career at both international and club level.

And Geremi will bring plenty of experience with him too, after starring for Chelsea in both the Champions League and the Premiership, as well as playing in the World Cup and African Cup of Nations for his country.

Earlier in his career, Geremi also pulled on the famous shirt of Real Madrid before heading to Boro on loan in the 2002/03 season, where he picked up the accolade of player of the year on Teesside.

That was enough to persuade Claudio Ranieri to splash out £7m for his services, and under the Italian he enjoyed plenty of run-outs at first-team level.

Yet it has been a totally different story under Jose Mourinho, with the star struggling to nail down a regular place.

Boro dearly wanted to sign Geremi four years ago after his successful stint, and would loved to have done the same this summer on a permanent basis before United got there first again to trump them, just like they did with Aussie striker Viduka last month.

But after Allardyce made his intentions crystal clear that he wanted Geremi to be part of his plans, the 28-year-old was excited by the prospect of joining Big Sam’s revolution on Tyneside and didn’t ponder too long once United made their move.

And the Chronicle understands that the carrot of regular first-team action finally swayed the player into joining the Magpies.

All this transfer activity this early on in the window just shows Roeder up for the incompetent fuckwit that he is. "No one is working harder than me to sign players for Newcastle United. I spent all weekend on my phone etc etc." Tit.

Guest alex

The transfer activity so far by Allardyce just serves to highlight how completely incompetent Roeder was in this regard.

Edit: Great minds, eh Scott?

Edited by alex