Gazza

peasepud

Not saying I'm right, but based on what I've seen I always get the impression people loved seeing him pissed and i can imagine him buying drinks all night. Reckon he has had a very lonely life and most "friends" bought now don't want to know.

Don't excuse the man for the shite he has done but clearly this is a bloke who has needed help for a long time. It's painful to see and must be agonising for anyone who sees him regularly.

For his agent to put him on a stage in that state? Fuck me. Very sad :(

You have to wonder about the agent & his intent.

What's he taking off Gazza? I'd have though Gazza is fixed beyond repair anyway - so anyone facilitating his drinking needs to give their head a shake.

My mate seen him in the metro a month ago and he was fine. Sober, having a laugh, Must take a lot of drink to look like the ill man in the picture.

Don't excuse the man for the shite he has done but clearly this is a bloke who has needed help for a long time. It's painful to see and must be agonising for anyone who sees him regularly.

He's had more help than most though. I'm far from an expert on the matter but his deeper problems could well be his undoing. It's all good going to rehab and drying out for a few weeks when you have all the support in the world at your disposal but when you come out and go back to the real world and your empty home all day and night then that's got to be tough.

Just my amateur psychologist's theory.

I've just read a biography of Garrincha & his tale is very similar to Gascoigne's (though at least Garrincha achieved what he was capable of in the game); dysfunctional family, no education, precocious talent, early fame, inability to manage money, bad friends & worse advisers, terrible problems with personal life (violence, self-pity & tears).

Garrincha died of the drink aged 46 or so

But did Gazza lose his virginity to a goat?

quite probably - you seem the quality of talent available round Dunston?

as regards sexuality, i always thought Gascoigne was actually an unacknowledged gay man - presumably because he had no male role model in his life, he sought companionship & protection from strong male figures & made terrible decisions regarding women.

seriously, with all his money (gone i know), why did he only ever have 1 serious relationship (destructive as it was) with a woman?

He tried it on with my sister a few years back, even sent her some of his own poetry via text message. The old romantic.

and he tried to chat up this woman who used to be on Skunkers, who's now married to the People football writer Dave Kidd

I've just read a biography of Garrincha & his tale is very similar to Gascoigne's (though at least Garrincha achieved what he was capable of in the game); dysfunctional family, no education, precocious talent, early fame, inability to manage money, bad friends & worse advisers, terrible problems with personal life (violence, self-pity & tears).

Garrincha died of the drink aged 46 or so

I might have to give that book a go.

*ebay*

I've heard this before but always taken it to be an old wive's tale. So there's truth to the theory?

Straight up. Benzo withdrawal is worse but can't kill you. Alcohol withdrawal is very dangerous. Patients get topped up with chlordiazepoxide as a substitute to help them off it.

quite probably - you seem the quality of talent available round Dunston?

as regards sexuality, i always thought Gascoigne was actually an unacknowledged gay man - presumably because he had no male role model in his life, he sought companionship & protection from strong male figures & made terrible decisions regarding women.

seriously, with all his money (gone i know), why did he only ever have 1 serious relationship (destructive as it was) with a woman?

Cos he was bumming men obviously

As a player he was a genius and a hero. As a man he is a mess. Unfortunately too many "friends" have used him over the years for their own benefit and when he most needs loyalty, support and love they're not interested. How in fuck's name any genuine human being could think for a second that he was in any fit state for him to do an after-dinner speech is ridiculous. My views on Gazza as a man have been well documented on here over many years but I feel desperately sorry for him. We all know it's just a matter of time, because due to a combination of personality, poor advice, gold diggers and freeloaders it's far too late for anyone to help him in any meaningful way.