Oasis

Happy Face

I like them and I'm looking forward to their next album. After their poor period they seem to be pulling it back together. The change in personnel has helped to freshen things up a bit I think.

In a way they are the victims of their own success. The first 2 albums were excellent. They dodged the difficult 2nd album bullet with an album many argue was better thsn DM. Problem was, they were expected to go one better again with BHN and because it was so highly anticipated, when the result didn't quite match up the reaction was overblown. Those who remember the Stone Roses will see the likeness with 'Second Coming'. BHN wasn't bad and had some good stuff on it, but a good chunk of it was stuff the Noel had written much earlier and didn't get into the 1st 2 albums. I think Noel was sort of running out of ideas at that point (burnout perhaps?). SOTSOG was awful. Hindu Times showed some signs there was life in the old dog yet, but was no means a recovery. DBTT carried on the recovery process but if you look at the sleeve notes, it's no longer just Noel writing the songs. Most of Liam's stuff has been a bit crap to date, but Gem has contributed some canny stuff (A Bell will Ring anyone?).

They aren't at the peak they once were and I don't realistically expect them to be like that again. It was 15ish yrs ago and things have changed - the key is that they are changing too. It's worked for Led Zep (I struggle with some of their later stuff to be honest :rolleyes: ) and Paul Weller really is 'The Changing Man' to name two examples.

Liam is a dick, but by the same token, on form he's a great frontman and Noel is clearly talented. Liams antics have really contributed to the apathy Oasis now receive from many people IMO.

Overall though, I think they are probably one of the best bands this country has produced.

*puts tin hat on, retreats to a safe distance :rolleyes: *

Edited by maggiespaws

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them and I'm looking forward to their next album. After their poor period they seem to be pulling it back together. The change in personnel has helped to freshen things up a bit I think.

In a way they are the victims of their own success. The first 2 albums were excellent. They dodged the difficult 2nd album bullet with an album many argue was better thsn DM. Problem was, they were expected to go one better again with BHN and because it was so highly anticipated, when the result didn't quite match up the reaction was overblown. Those who remember the Stone Roses will see the likeness with 'Second Coming'. BHN wasn't bad and had some good stuff on it, but a good chunk of it was stuff the Noel had written much earlier and didn't get into the 1st 2 albums. I think Noel was sort of running out of ideas at that point (burnout perhaps?). SOTSOG was awful. Hindu Times showed some signs there was life in the old dog yet, but was no means a recovery. DBTT carried on the recovery process but if you look at the sleeve notes, it's no longer just Noel writing the songs. Most of Liam's stuff has been a bit crap to date, but Gem has contributed some canny stuff (A Bell will Ring anyone?).

They aren't at the peak they once were and I don't realistically expect them to be like that again. It was 15ish yrs ago and things have changed - the key is that they are changing too. It's worked for Led Zep (I struggle with some of their later stuff to be honest :icon_lol: ) and Paul Weller really is 'The Changing Man' to name two examples.

Liam is a dick, but by the same token, on form he's a great frontman and Noel is clearly talented. Liams antics have really contributed to the apathy Oasis now receive from many people IMO.

Overall though, I think they are probably one of the best bands this country has produced.

*puts tin hat on, retreats to a safe distance :blink: *

Excellent post and I agree with pretty much all of that however dont think any of the albums after BHN are a patch on their first 3.

Interestingly the clip for the new song sounds promising and hopefully the rest of album will be much better.

On the subject of Weller, I was a massive of fan of his first 3 albums to the point where I could sit and listen to an album all day on repeat without getting bored however, since Heliocentric, things seem to have changed a lot and he's only shown glimpses of the stuff which got me into his music. He is oustanding Live though.

One of my favourite bands despite not producing anything of worth for 13 years, I'll probably buy the next album out of some misguided loyalty. It probably won't be any good.

That's what's kept me buying every Therapy? album since 2000. At least your band was Earth-straddling in the first place. :icon_lol:

On the subject of Weller, I was a massive of fan of his first 3 albums to the point where I could sit and listen to an album all day on repeat without getting bored however, since Heliocentric, things seem to have changed a lot and he's only shown glimpses of the stuff which got me into his music. He is oustanding Live though.

In fairness to the guy, even when he was commercially lauded in the mid-90s he seemed to be struggling with being "that bloke from the Jam who people like again now that he's got old and given up the Style Council brass overdose". Not that he was ever particularly old even during the "Stanley Road" era, since he started out so young in first place. He seems a lot more comfortable and focused nowadays, though, even if the spark has understandably dimmed a bit.

Edited by Meenzer

They aren't at the peak they once were and I don't realistically expect them to be like that again. It was 15ish yrs ago and things have changed - the key is that they are changing too. It's worked for Led Zep (I struggle with some of their later stuff to be honest :icon_lol: ) and Paul Weller really is 'The Changing Man' to name two examples.

*puts tin hat on, retreats to a safe distance :blink: *

Excellent post and I agree with pretty much all of that however dont think any of the albums after BHN are a patch on their first 3.

Interestingly the clip for the new song sounds promising and hopefully the rest of album will be much better.

Yeah, the new single sounds like it might be canny. According to Noel, the album have more of a groove to it. Not sure what he means by that - time will tell.

I know what you mean about Weller. I thought 'Wild Wood' was class. He's not come close to that since IMO. Saw him live at Glasto last year I think. Absolutely top notch live.

EDIT: A Quick look at his discography on wikipedia has reminded me that 'Stanley Road' was a canny album too.

Edited by maggiespaws

• 2 weeks later...

You can always rely on Noel for a few good soundbites tho :lol:

Oasis star Noel slams Amy Winehouse

(Friday August 15, 2008 03:48 PM)

Noel Gallagher has hit out at uber-producer Mark Ronson and troubled singer Amy Winehouse.

The Oasis star, 41, recently caused a stir by saying rapper Jay-Z should not be headlining Glastonbury.

And he compared Brit award-winner Winehouse, 24, to a "destitute horse".

Of Ronson, 32, who remixed The Zutons' track Valerie for Winehouse and the Kaiser Chiefs' tune Oh My God for Lily Allen, he said: "He wants to write his own tunes instead of ruining everyone else's.

"Mark Ronson needs to learn three chords on the guitar and write a tune."

Gallagher described Scouting For Girls as "Scouting For Idiots" and had a go at the Kaiser Chiefs, saying: "The Monkees haven't split up, they're just going under the name of the Kaiser Chiefs."

He told the Chris Moyles' breakfast show: "I did drugs for 18 years and I never got that bad as to say, 'You know what? I think the Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant'."

Meanwhile, Oasis announced dates for their UK tour, beginning in October.

Guest Stevie
He told the Chris Moyles' breakfast show: "I did drugs for 18 years and I never got that bad as to say, 'You know what? I think the Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant'."

:lol: :lol: fucking brilliant. I think this song will grow on me, it's decent.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: fucking brilliant. I think this song will grow on me, it's decent.

Nick Hodgson for one wasn't taking it personally.

He said: "We're definitely not offended but I do actually like it, I think it's a bit of sport.

"It is funny though because it does happen every single time they put out an album. And the last two albums it's been us.

"When I was 17 and Noel was going on about Blur I was watching it and now I'm 30 and he's 50 and he's talking about us, it's brilliant."

:icon_lol:

From standing on the shoulders of Giants to tugging on the coat tail of Kaiser Chiefs. B)

Nick Hodgson for one wasn't taking it personally.

He said: "We're definitely not offended but I do actually like it, I think it's a bit of sport.

"It is funny though because it does happen every single time they put out an album. And the last two albums it's been us.

"When I was 17 and Noel was going on about Blur I was watching it and now I'm 30 and he's 50 and he's talking about us, it's brilliant."

Squelch. B)

• 3 weeks later...