Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

I tend to believe the story on nufc, I reckon he was told who to play at certain points. Hope we do get Benitez after all this

I don't believe that, he made poor tactical decisions, subs and starting line ups and those were his errors. There is the whole argument about the squad being unbalanced etc which is firmly at the door of Ashley and co but I'm not blaming playing Yoann Gouffran on Ashley and them, that's firmly on McClaren. Ashley finally looking like paying money for a proper manager as well as throwing cash about in January show how desperate he is so I don't see why he would force a manager to play shit players, just to what? put them in the shop window? I can't see that being the case.

What story?

They mention that suspiscions remain that he was given certain directions who to pick. I'm not sure where this comes from or whether it makes any sense. Surely the players that he would have been most likely to be instructed to player would be ones we'd brought in like Thauvin, Saivet and Doumbia. I can't see any logical reason why he would have been instructed to play Gouffran, Obertan or Aarons at leftback.

I think .com like to hoy the odd thing in like that. Ages ago they were ITK when Shepherd was still at the helm but they haven't had the inside track for ages. By mentioning something as vague as they have they can kid people they know shit without actually adding any meat to the bones. As Howay and DK have mentioned it would make no sense if someone else was picking the team and leaving out the new signings.

I tend to believe the story on nufc, I reckon he was told who to play at certain points.

McClaren could run you over and not stop and you'd still blame Ashley

I'm jus saying that him selecting the players we are most likely to never be able to offload is strange. Gouffran just seemed weird - we all said when he came well he's done well cos gouffrans not even on the bench, then he ends up playing him when hes got better on the bench.

And yes, anything to do with NUFC I will blame on Ashley, because it is down to him, all of this shit - if we do (and its not even fuckin done yet) get Rafa , I'll cream myself , but I'll be very surprised if this bunch of fucknuts actually get him and retain him.

FWIW - I see Rafa as a massive step up from McClaren, but I'm not sure he's the same guy he was 5 or 10 years ago. Pretty much lost it in his last job.

Edited by scoobos

Actually, whereas I'm glad McClaren has gone I'm also sorry about it.

Initially I didn't like it when he was hired after just been fired by Derby but in all honesty I wanted him to succeed for our sakes.

Sadly he took on a job he wasn't qualified for and was in over his head from day one and kept digging a hole he could never climb out of.

I guess you won't be seeing me using the term Brolly-boy again which is sure to please someone. :no:

Initially I didn't like it when he was hired after just been fired by Derby but in all honesty I wanted him to succeed for our sakes.

Sadly he took on a job he wasn't qualified for and was in over his head from day one and kept digging a hole he could never climb out of.

I guess you won't be seeing me using the term Brolly-boy again which is sure to please someone. :no:

:flowers:

He has been paid millions for the shit job he did, I'm not worried at all about the bloke.

From .com

Sky Sports News report that McClaren was informed of his dismissal by telephone earlier in the day, having declined to attend a face to face meeting.

While the final knockout blow was Saturday's home humiliation by Bournemouth, the insurmountable problems he faced in the dressing room meant his days were numbered once the last transfer window closed.

Despite the arrivals of Andros Townsend and Jonjo Shelvey, the fruitless pursuit of Saido Berahino and panic loan signing of Seydou Doumbia left the coach at the mercy of players who were already letting him down - both on and off the field.

Had the likes of Cheick Tiote, Papiss Cisse, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Gini Wijnaldum, Moussa Sissoko or Fabricio Coloccini behaved in a professional manner then we'd not be second bottom of the table.

And had the goalscorer he craved arrived, then we would have a far better chance of avoiding the drop - not just in January, but also before a ball was kicked (doubts over the suitability of Mitrovic as the main striker were quickly raised by the coaching staff).

McClaren does have to carry the can for the failures in his own area of responsibility; selecting, organising and motivating the XI on the field - but even then suspicions remain that he was given "direction" on certain occasions as to who should be picked.

Ultimately, the man who came to United and tried to alter the role he accepted from within was unable to finish what he started, this squad seeing off a third manager/coach/apologist/scapegoat/patsy.

It's important to remember though that none of the new signings he fielded at the start of the season were his choice - all being lined up before his arrival.

By January he'd gained sufficient influence to push through the Shelvey and Townsend deals - but the arrival of Henri Saivet reinforced the fact that some failing parts of the system remained off limits.

If there's any legacy at all from Steve's nine months at the club, its in finally proving that their model was unfit for purpose and needed to be scrapped.

A martyr then, albeit a well-paid one.

“I am obviously very disappointed with the decision.

“I appreciate any frustrations relating to the team’s results and the club subsequently finding itself in a battle to avoid relegation. I remain confident, however, that we would have stayed in the Premier League with a view to building for next season.
“Whilst there has been a lot of intense speculation surrounding my position over recent days, my sole priority has been to maintain my professionalism and carry on with my work to best prepare the team.
“I would like to place on record what a privilege it has been to manage Newcastle United Football Club. It is a great a club - the embodiment of the city, with incredible supporters.
“I’d also like to thank Mike Ashley and the Board for giving me the opportunity to manage the club, and the staff and players for their loyalty and efforts.
“For every supporter of Newcastle United, I genuinely hope the club can produce the results I believe they are capable of, between now and the end of the season, to maintain their Premier League status.
“Newcastle United is a club that must build for the long term to deliver what the supporters deserve – success and silverware.”