8 Managers have turned us down

Jimbo

Eight managers have rejected the chance to become Newcastle’s new boss.

Owner Mike Ashley’s search to find a manager as well as a buyer for his club is turning into a farce.

The bosses – from home and abroad – believe succeeding Kevin Keegan is mission impossible. They will be tainted in the eyes of Geordie fans as Ashley’s stooge appointment.

And it was another humiliating day for struggling Newcastle as they were thrashed 3-1 by West Ham at Upton Park.

Newcastle ended a nightmare week with a sorry defeat that left them in the bottom three of the Premier League.

Put up for sale by controversial owner Mike Ashley, the Toon subsided meekly to a West Ham side led into action for the first time by Gianfranco Zola.

And the travelling Toon Army had to endure home fans’ chants of: “There’s only one Mike Ashley.”

Caretaker Newcastle boss Chris Hughton could only hope for better in the midweek Carling Cup tie against Tottenham at St James’ Park.

Hughton said: “It was always a massive game because it is important for a big club like ours to stay in the cup competitions for as long as is

possible. A win is the best way to lift morale.”

Hughton insists the players prepare as they always do and that he has not considered the prospect of taking the job at the crisis-ridden club on a permanent basis.

“All my thoughts are getting the team ready and preparing them for the next game. All I think about after the game is whether there is anything I could have done better as a coach.”

Hughton admitted that the sooner the uncertainty at Newcastle is resolved, the better. The furore surrounding the departure of Kevin Keegan and the decision by owner Ashley to sell up has clearly had an affect.

“The sooner it all gets sorted out the better,” said Hughton. “That has been the case from day one. All we can do in the meantime is our best.”

Hughton was at least heartened by the response of his team to going three goals down against a West Ham team rejuvenated by the arrival of Zola.

Advertisement - article continues below »

“We were unlucky with the first goal because there were two deflections,” he said. “The last thing you want to happen is to concede an early goal against what we knew would be an offensive side.

“Then we let in a second and the third early in the second half. But we showed spirit to come back and now all we can do is prepare the players for the next game.”

Zola basked in the delight of his first win as West Ham manager – then apologised to the fans for failing to acknowledge their welcome.

“I am sorry,” he said. “The reception was fantastic but I couldn’t hear anything! My mind was completely closed.”

He declared his immense satisfaction at the manner of the victory.

“The last 20 minutes we were a bit tired because we had put so much into the game in the first 70 minutes.

“It was a hard week for me. Was I nervous? Every single moment! This is a new adventure for me.

“You don’t know how the players will react to what you are telling them but I have to say that the players made it comfortable for me.

“I was happy with two goals from David Di Michele and he could have had a hat-trick. But Carlton Cole was also excellent. He has all the qualities to be playing for the England team.”

"if" its true, I would say it's because there are few managers willing to work in this "continental" style structure and are unwilling to join the club whilst it is in a state of flux.

We might aim high, but the quality will plummet as we get desperate. Oh wait....

Anyway, MA says he isnt thick. He must know that a relegated side is a side worth half what is it now.

We're Doomed I tells ya.

In all honesty who in there right mind would want to come to us as manager with the setup we have at the mo-----Unless they are in Ashley or Wise's pocket.

The great player exodus will start soon as things rot even further, relagation now looks very likely to be the way we are going unless some dramatic changes occur very soon. At least MA has made a statement of things but notice Wise has kept his ugly little head down heard nowt come out of his mouth he is just sitting pretty pocketing his wages

Surely its down to the simple fact that every manager knows hes being brought in whilst the owner is looking to sell, who in their right mind would want to join knowing that 6 months down the line he maybe removed as the new owners want their own man in??

I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw the public acknowlegement from Ashely as it means quite clearely we wont get a manager of any value until the ownership changes hands

Surely its down to the simple fact that every manager knows hes being brought in whilst the owner is looking to sell, who in their right mind would want to join knowing that 6 months down the line he maybe removed as the new owners want their own man in??

I was utterly gobsmacked when I saw the public acknowlegement from Ashely as it means quite clearely we wont get a manager of any value until the ownership changes hands

Bassett's a coming!

"if" its true, I would say it's because there are few managers willing to work in this "continental" style structure and are unwilling to join the club whilst it is in a state of flux.

Yes plus whoever is next manager will have to bare the brunt of being known as the man who replaced the messiah. Rightly or wrongly the next man in charge will have the piss taken out of him. Oh, and there's the small issue of having to work with a small squad that lacks serious quality in many departments.

I just hope the next time you put your telly into use Jimbo, that it's good news, and that we aren't in the Championship... :nufc:

I'm surprised it isn't more than 8, in the current situation I'm not even sure a currently out of work manager that is desperate to get back into football would take the job (of first team coach).

So many ways for it to go wrong (and they'd get blamed) and hardly any ways for it to go right.

Anyway, MA says he isnt thick. He must know that a relegated side is a side worth half what is it now.

I think it is probably worth labouring that point to him in anyway possible. At the moment I'd say he's got some relegation insurance he's trying to cash in (only explanation that makes any business sense).l

I think it is probably worth labouring that point to him in anyway possible. At the moment I'd say he's got some relegation insurance he's trying to cash in (only explanation that makes any business sense).l

Have you just made this concept up or does this actually exist?

Shirley knot?

Have you just made this concept up or does this actually exist?

Shirley knot?

I've no idea, you can probably cover contracts for something like that, maybe (but he wouldn't get the cash).

Just that something like that is the only thing that makes any sense at all. Otherwise his current behaviour is just nonsensical and self-destructive (to his own investment, never mind the club). :nufc:

Bassett's a coming!

Gulp, how scary is that thought especially as he was sat alongside the wonkey eyed dwarf at Watford yesterday??

Didn't Zico say something about wanting to manage us?

Throw some money at the man and get him in before we sink beyond all recovery (and before he changes his mind, if he hasn't already.) I don't care if he's a terrible manager, we need someone and we need him now.

Throw some money at the man and get him in before we sink beyond all recovery (and before he changes his mind, if he hasn't already.) I don't care if he's a terrible manager, we need someone and we need him now.

Im all for steadying the ship as such but throwing a contract at a bad manager for the sake of it is silly wouldnt you say?

Im all for steadying the ship as such but throwing a contract at a bad manager for the sake of it is silly wouldnt you say?

Plus you'll probably find he'd changed his mind once he got wind of the real situation here.

Here's my take on it.

A managerless club is a club in crisis. Nobody knows who's in charge. Nobody will want to buy a club in crisis, and the players and fans will rapidly lose confidence just as we are doing now.

By having a manager, we at least give the appearance of functioning as a normal club should. And you have to ask one question of any potential appointment: can he make the situation any worse? I don't think Zico can, myself.

Here's my take on it.

A managerless club is a club in crisis. Nobody knows who's in charge. Nobody will want to buy a club in crisis, and the players and fans will rapidly lose confidence just as we are doing now.

By having a manager, we at least give the appearance of functioning as a normal club should. And you have to ask one question of any potential appointment: can he make the situation any worse? I don't think Zico can, myself.

I agree, I really think anyone will be better than the current setup right now, even rubbish managers like O'Leary or Venables, because it's only for the short-term. Beggars can't be choosers etc.

Here's my take on it.

I agree, I really think anyone will be better than the current setup right now, even rubbish managers like O'Leary or Venables, because it's only for the short-term. Beggars can't be choosers etc.

From what is being said pretty much everyone is turning us down. Insane leprous beggars are fucked, unfortunately. :nufc: