The Annual How's Your Other Team Doing Thread

Kid Dynamite

I've still to find a decent grammar add on for Chrome. :lol:

I wasn't having a pop mate it's just Lee Hendrie is a massive twat.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
AFC Wimbledon doing well, sitting second in the league and they've been picking up points away from home too.

A chance they could be in the same league as MK Dons next season (should the Dons get relegated). Now wouldn't that be an interesting propostion? :D

AFC Wimbledon doing well, sitting second in the league and they've been picking up points away from home too.

A chance they could be in the same league as MK Dons next season (should the Dons get relegated). Now wouldn't that be an interesting propostion? :D

That would be tasty. :D

It's bizarre, so far I've been to the biggest games in their history, the day they clinched promotion, their first game at conference level, their away trip to Millwall and been an observer rather than feeling like I was properly involved, but if I missed out on that game I'd be genuinely gutted.

• 3 weeks later...
Mainz are top of the Bundesliga. Five wins in five games. Basically the equivalent of West Brom or Wolves (yo-yo clubs) doing the same. Canny.

FYP.

St Pauli aren't fairing as well but still a win, a draws and two defeats keeps then middle table in tenth. St.Pauli.png

As for the other Newcastle, they are in all sorts of trouble. Unable to pay their wages for the last two weeks the FA has bailed them out but fuck knows what will happen. That said they beat Fowler's Perth on the weekend with a cracking goal from Michael Bridges (did you know he's a spuds fan because Gazza and Waddle left the Toon to play for them - twat!)

Edited by sammynb

As for the other Newcastle, they are in all sorts of trouble. Unable to pay their wages for the last two weeks the FA has bailed them out but fuck knows what will happen. That said they beat Fowler's Perth on the weekend with a cracking goal from Michael Bridges (did you know he's a spuds fan because Gazza and Waddle left the Toon to play for them - twat!)

FOOTBALL Federation Australia today announced that the Newcastle Jets team would be continuing in the Hyundai A-League under new ownership arrangements.

Buckley is pleased to announce that local businessman Nathan Tinkler has stepped in to take on the Newcastle Jets licence and secure the club's future for the remainder of the season.

Just saw this, Sammynb.

Glad too, even though I'm a Glory supporter. The Jets seem to developed a small but passionate following, and it would be a great pity to see them disappear.

Everyone seems to state that the future of the A-League depends on whether we (Australia) get the 2022 World Cup.

I disagree, simply because:

(i) we're not likely to get the Cup (though I really, really, really hope we do)

(ii) people seem to forget that the league has only existed for 5 years, and it's going to take some time before it really establishes itself in the Aussie consciousness.

AFL and (to a lesser extent) rugby league will always rule the roost in this country, so what the FFA has to be happy with is realising that there is a niche market for round-ball football in this country and the A League has to market and work financially within these limits.

Long may the Jets (and, ahem, Glory) continue.

FOOTBALL Federation Australia today announced that the Newcastle Jets team would be continuing in the Hyundai A-League under new ownership arrangements.

Buckley is pleased to announce that local businessman Nathan Tinkler has stepped in to take on the Newcastle Jets licence and secure the club's future for the remainder of the season.

Just saw this, Sammynb.

Glad too, even though I'm a Glory supporter. The Jets seem to developed a small but passionate following, and it would be a great pity to see them disappear.

Everyone seems to state that the future of the A-League depends on whether we (Australia) get the 2022 World Cup.

I disagree, simply because:

(i) we're not likely to get the Cup (though I really, really, really hope we do)

(ii) people seem to forget that the league has only existed for 5 years, and it's going to take some time before it really establishes itself in the Aussie consciousness.

AFL and (to a lesser extent) rugby league will always rule the roost in this country, so what the FFA has to be happy with is realising that there is a niche market for round-ball football in this country and the A League has to market and work financially within these limits.

Long may the Jets (and, ahem, Glory) continue.

Nice one, I was having a look on a few sites and hadn't seen any updates, so that is good news.

My personal opinion on the problems of the national league is there are to many teams/owners looking at their return, instead of realising that now is the time to build support. Ticket prices need to reflect the level of football on the pitch and if it was me I'd make kids up to 16 free as long as they are accompanied by an adult, so say 2 or 4 kids for every adult.

The team owners don't understand the importance of getting decent size crowds, Newcastle being a classic example.

Honestly what's the difference between having 3000 pay over inflated prices opposed to 10000 paying a fraction of the ticket price? None because the ticket income will return the same but the crowd will spend more on merchandise, food, bevies, etc. Plus the team gets a lift from the extra numbers.

Do this for 5 years and guess what, those that started coming to games at 12 will be 17 and they will pay because it becomes ingrained into them, they become football supporters - not league or aerial ping pong fans.

Not sure if you're old enough to remember Northern Spirit in the NSL but their first few years they did the same for up to 12 year old kids and their crowds were huge, eventually they fucked it up but there were many other reasons for that.

Mainz are top of the Bundesliga. Five wins in five games. Basically the equivalent of West Brom or Wolves (yo-yo clubs) doing the same. Canny.

FYP.

Nah, not really. West Brom and Wolves at least have some kind of history of success, whereas Mainz were never even in the top flight until 2004. Wigan is a closer match than Stoke even.

FYP.

Nah, not really. West Brom and Wolves at least have some kind of history of success, whereas Mainz were never even in the top flight until 2004. Wigan is a closer match than Stoke even.

• 2 months later...

Yo-yo club or not, Mainz are somehow still in second place at the halfway stage of the Bundesliga, albeit level with Leverkusen and 10 points behind the leaders Dortmund (whom I have a great deal of time for if only because of their former Meenzer manager Jürgen Klopp - I'll be amazed if he's not the German team boss within the next few years).

What's more remarkable is that Mainz's record so far is 11-0-6 (to coin an Americanism) - i.e. 17 games down and not a single draw so far. I'm sure it's not a record, but it must be pretty unusual in the bigger leagues at least...

AFC sitting top of the conference, but it's really tight.

Danny Kedwell is still banging them in, as he has done for as long as he's played for the Dons. Andre Blackman is a very good left back.

5-1 to win the league.. which is tempting, because they're in a good position and have been playing ok.

As sadly predicted by myself, the Vipers moving out of the Arena into Whitley Bay looks like being the death knell for them. Bottom of the league, losing money hand over fist with an owner now wanting out and propping them up week to week. We had 1,000 at the game at the weekend..well..not really..about 300 of them were tickets bought by other clubs to help with the financial situation. Performances and results have actually picked up since they announced they were in the financial shite actually which is the weird thing.

The plan was to hole up in Whitley until the new rink was built at Gateshead stadium..alas my second sad prediction is that with pissing about and financial cuts they'll run out of time and I don't expect them to see out the season to be honest...

• 2 months later...

Two more days and then I am off on a 18 hour drive to Denver, Colorado. The match will be the first ever for my local team in Major League Soccer. Wish I could just leave right now. :lol:

Here is a video the supporter group released today:

Given my relocation to Houston I've started following the Dynamo, a very lose Toon connection, Paul Dalglish is a coach at their Austin based academy, a new stadium is being built, one of the backers is Oscar De La Hoya the former boxer, things are looking up, plus they have a nice Orange Adidas home shirt.

Two more days and then I am off on a 18 hour drive to Denver, Colorado. The match will be the first ever for my local team in Major League Soccer. Wish I could just leave right now. :icon_lol:

How many Portland are expected to be going. I do believe that yank football football fans have some kind of passion, you must do to drive 18 hours, but see clips like when a team scores a goal, they give me the impression like "am I doing this right", it's because there's never been a football culture there before. Like in England, football is the most English of things, it's more part of the nations fabric than the Royal Family or winning wars. It will take 4 or 5 generations before America has that, but I think it's mint yous are having a go.

Two more days and then I am off on a 18 hour drive to Denver, Colorado. The match will be the first ever for my local team in Major League Soccer. Wish I could just leave right now. :icon_lol:

How many Portland are expected to be going. I do believe that yank football football fans have some kind of passion, you must do to drive 18 hours, but see clips like when a team scores a goal, they give me the impression like "am I doing this right", it's because there's never been a football culture there before. Like in England, football is the most English of things, it's more part of the nations fabric than the Royal Family or winning wars. It will take 4 or 5 generations before America has that, but I think it's mint yous are having a go.

about 350 have went through official supporter connections to get tickets for this match. MLS only gives an away allocation of 500. it was less than that just a few months ago. hopefully after putting up consistent numbers away the league will give us more of an allocation. especially for the derby matches.

Given my relocation to Houston I've started following the Dynamo, a very lose Toon connection, Paul Dalglish is a coach at their Austin based academy, a new stadium is being built, one of the backers is Oscar De La Hoya the former boxer, things are looking up, plus they have a nice Orange Adidas home shirt.

maybe we can meet up for a pint at the August 14th match. i plan on making that road trip also.

maybe we can meet up for a pint at the August 14th match. i plan on making that road trip also.

sounds good to me, let me know closer to the date and we can arrange something.