iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

How much is that gonna cost, Renton? Handset and then what's your monthly simplicity setup? My only concern with doing something like this is that I'll have to resist wanting to change my phone sooner, or else it'll soon become a more expensive approach.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is that gonna cost, Renton? Handset and then what's your monthly simplicity setup? My only concern with doing something like this is that I'll have to resist wanting to change my phone sooner, or else it'll soon become a more expensive approach.

Hand set around 400 quid (should get up to 140 back for my iPhone if they don't notice the buttons are a bit fucked :blush2:) . Rolling contract is 16.50 with a 500 meg data allowance and enough minutes and texts for my purposes (usually): don't forget to download using wifi obviously. I don't want to leave O2 because it's the only network that gives 3g reception in my office plus they're pretty efficient. If 4g arrives turns out to be a must have I can change easily, otherwise I'll keep the handset until its knackered or something much better comes along. I had planned to get a 12 month contract but O2 removed that as an option yesterday.

10 a month for unlimited data and texts plus 250 minutes on giff gaff Renton. No contract tie in but no need for top ups.

Best deal available by miles. Me bro has been using them for a week and a few mates have used them for months with no issue.

One lad is averaging 8gb a month :lol:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2012/09/21/161591319/do-you-know-the-way-to-san-jose-iphone-users-may-not?sc=ipad&f=1001

Do You Know The Way To San Jose? iPhone Users May Not

by Laura Sydell

NPR - September 22, 2012

As I write this I'm certain that there are people at Google smiling. I'd venture to say CEO Larry Page may actually be laughing. Why? Because everyone is complaining about Apple's new mapping system — the one that replaced Google Maps in Apple's newest mobile operating system.

Apple and Google are fighting a war for dominance in the smartphone market. When Apple founder Steve Jobs was still alive he told biographer Walter Issacson that Google's Android operating system for mobile was a stolen product based on ideas from Apple. He vowed to go "thermonuclear" to destroy Google's Android.

There have been various fronts in this war — among them Apple's international patent battle against smartphones and tablets running the Android operating system.

Apple won a major battle against Samsung in a San Jose federal court last summer. It got a $1.05 billion verdict against Samsung for patent infringement. (It isn't over, though: Samsung is appealing.)

When Apple introduced its new mobile operating system along with the iPhone 5, no one was surprised that Apple nixed Google as its default mapping system and introduced a mapping service of its own. It's even got Siri's voice telling you which way to go.

The only problem is, she may not know where she's going. The complaints about Apple's maps have come from everywhere — from New Jersey to London. Apple fans in Tokyo and France might not even be able to see the streets of their city, let alone get the 3-D experience Apple promised.

The London Telegraph wrote that Paddington Station isn't on the map and that the town of Stratford-upon-Avon is marked as Shottery — a village to the west of Shakespeare's birthplace.

Reviews say Apple Maps is shoddy. Nilay Patel at The Verge wrote: "Apple's decision to swap out Google Maps is a rare example of the company openly placing its own interests above those of its customers."

Blog posts have appeared explaining how you can get Google Maps back on your iPhone. Will Google make that any easier? The company isn't saying, but its statement seems like a hint that something's in the works. It wrote that the "goal is to make Google Maps available to everyone who wants to use it."

But hang on, says Apple. In a statement, company spokeswoman Trudy Muller wrote: "We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better." In fact, the mapping system in the iOS 6 does get better as it gathers information from people using it. But I hope that Apple doesn't wait for us users to fix the problems.

If there is a little glee at Google over this flap, it will be short-lived. Mappageddon doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from buying the new iPhone 5. People are lining up at Apple stores across the globe to buy it.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster told Reuters: "The line for the iPhone 5 was 70 percent greater than the line for the iPhone 4S despite Apple taking two [times] as many online pre-orders." [Copyright 2012 National Public Radio]

Only Gemmill on here has Google Play but what he failed to mention is the cost of the VPN required to get the US service.

I didn't fail to mention anything. You need US based DNS settings to sign up for the service, but those are freely available all over the Internet at no cost. Once you have signed up, you google "Google Play Music apk" to download the app and then that's it, you're done. The Music Manager runs in the background on your computer, uploading new music any time you add it to your computer, and it all appears on the Play Music app on your phone.

Free up to 25,000 songs.

10 a month for unlimited data and texts plus 250 minutes on giff gaff Renton. No contract tie in but no need for top ups.

Best deal available by miles. Me bro has been using them for a week and a few mates have used them for months with no issue.

One lad is averaging 8gb a month :lol:

Sounds almost too good to be true but will check this out HF. Why doesn't everybody do this? :)

Reason I wouldn't is that everyone I know is on O2 so therefore nearly all my calls are free anyway.

I pay £15 a month (part of which is the £7.50 data payment) and I never run out.

Mind I probably don't talk as much as you young'uns do. But I would be screwed changing networks.

It's killing me knowing the shops have stock but I can't stomach a big contract. :(

Might go and feel one today and see what I think. Unless Mrs Renton I could do with an extra 2 inches. :lol:

Are calls free O2 to O2? If so I never knew! :lol:. I'm the same CT, my calls consist of "Hi, OK, where, what time?". There's exceptions but an hour a month normally suffices. As for texts, who needs more than 10 a day?

Been looking into this giff gaff thing since reading it on here. Any bother with them at all, HF? Any bother transferring your number over or anything like that?

For some reason I fell like I've heard nightmare stories about this lot, but I might just be imagining that. Would definitely be interested in switching to these when my contract expires next April. Looking at my call details on my bills, I'd need the 400minutes deal for 15 a month, but genuine unlimited data appeals.

CT, if you want the new iPhone but don't want a big contract, do what Renton is doing and just buy the handset direct from Apple. You won't get the phone for around a month now like, cos a lad from work ordered his off Apple on Friday and got told 4 weeks.

Sounds daft but I feel a bit of customer loyalty to O2. Things have fucked up in the past (e.g. Getting a three figure bill for data from Jamaica when my phone was in airplane mode in a safe in Barbados), but they've sorted them out really well with an English call centre. I'm reluctant to give that up. Plus, the one month rolling contract is hugely appealing.

Been looking into this giff gaff thing since reading it on here. Any bother with them at all, HF? Any bother transferring your number over or anything like that?

For some reason I fell like I've heard nightmare stories about this lot, but I might just be imagining that. Would definitely be interested in switching to these when my contract expires next April. Looking at my call details on my bills, I'd need the 400minutes deal for 15 a month, but genuine unlimited data appeals.

CT, if you want the new iPhone but don't want a big contract, do what Renton is doing and just buy the handset direct from Apple. You won't get the phone for around a month now like, cos a lad from work ordered his off Apple on Friday and got told 4 weeks.

That's probably the route I'll go down when the wife let's me keep some wages.

Sounds daft but I feel a bit of customer loyalty to O2. Things have fucked up in the past (e.g. Getting a three figure bill for data from Jamaica when my phone was in airplane mode in a safe in Barbados), but they've sorted them out really well with an English call centre. I'm reluctant to give that up. Plus, the one month rolling contract is hugely appealing.

Same with me. I use the for home broadband as well and having dealt with Oranges Indian call centre, o2's uk ones are great. Even got through to the CEO's secretary during a problem overseas.

You can port your number, the same as any network. Apparently the unlimited data deal is being put up to £15....but everyone I know on there is still happy to pay it. Not heard a bad word.

I didn't fail to mention anything. You need US based DNS settings to sign up for the service, but those are freely available all over the Internet at no cost. Once you have signed up, you google "Google Play Music apk" to download the app and then that's it, you're done. The Music Manager runs in the background on your computer, uploading new music any time you add it to your computer, and it all appears on the Play Music app on your phone.

Free up to 25,000 songs.

Sorry I just assumed you needed a VPN, that DNS trick is meant to work for the iplayer too but I never got it to work. Amazon just launched their cloud service in the uk for the same price as match but you can store 250k songs. I've got 10k so I don't think that matters. The nice thing about these paying cloud services is that they actually pay royalties to the artists providing another important income stream. I didnt sign up for match straight away as I thought if was a bit expensive and I didn't know if I'd actually need it. The integration with my tv and iPad is great though. How do you put your music on to the pad? Do you have the app on that too? Does your tv support it too? I had friends over last night, it was nice to browse on the tv which is also connected to my big amp and speaker.

I'd be surprised if google continue to provide a free service in the future given how much grief they are getting on loss of revenues with the move to mobile and their 2 biggest rivals charging the same reasonably large fee.

As an aside, how immature do you and Renton come over in this thread? :lol:

Marginally less than you come over as a massive Apple fanboy. :razz:

I actually paid for Match for a year when it first became available, just to see what it was like so at the minute I don't need google play on the iPad. I'll not get match for a second year though, as I barely listen to music on the iPad tbh.

I use unblock-us as a proxy service and it works really well on iPad, PC and PS3. I'm not sure what a UK equivalent would be though for iplayer.

What is a pain in the arse with the google service is the initial upload of your music. There's no match process, so every song needs to be uploaded, so it takes days and it cripples your bandwidth in the process.

The riot is the latest in a series of problems at Foxconn which have threatened to sour Apple’s reputation. A succession of workers at its factories in Chengdu and Shenzen committed or attempted to commit suicide in 2010, raising fears over the working conditions.

At one point, Foxconn began asking new members of staff to sign a contract promising that they would not kill themselves..... :unsure2:

Edited by Park Life

Wifes just walked in with an Iphone 5 for me. :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank: :spinwank:

Like a rocket compared to my 3G and way lighter than the IPhone 4 but still feels solid.

Renton, each to their own, but the size feels fine already. No big difference imo.

Now just the task of trying to get my head around swapping stuff over. (This usually involves a pencil, paper and writing down contacts) :lol:

Happy Bunny