Other games

Park Life

FA-cup? If they win the cup and end up fifth I think 6th will also get EL.

if chelsea win the FA cup (and finish 5th) against everton then everton will get the EL spot

if we finish 5th it doesnt matter, unless chelsea win the champions league which they wont

But say we finish 5th, Chelsea below us but Chelsea win the Cup against Liverpool, won't they get the EL spot?

Where am I going wrong? :D

One place is awarded for each of the cups and 5th place in the league. If the FA Cup winner also qualifies for the CL by finishing in the top 4 then the runners up get the EL place normally awarded to the FA Cup winners - it doesn't get handed to the side who finish 6th in the league unless both Cup Finalists have already qualified for Europe by other means.

4th, 5th & 6th will almost certainly be taken up by Spurs Chelsea & Newcastle in one order or another therefore if we finish 4th or 5th we qualify for Europe on our own merits, if we finish 6th we're reliant on both FA Cup finalists to have qualified for Europe by other means. Liverpool have already qualified and Chelsea and Spurs will do so via the league if we don't. Therefore the only club that can ruin it for us is Everton.

In short, if Liverpool beat them on Saturday, we'll be in Europe so long as we finish top 6 (and we're only 4 points shy of guaranteeing 6th place!)

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Craig!

5 games to secure 4 points is definitely doable.

On our form it'll be a disaster if it doesn't happen. Particularly when the next two games are Stoke (H) & Wigan (A).

Maximum points Everton can get now is 62. Liverpool is 61. So basically if we beat Stoke, Liverpool cannot catch us! :D

It'd be nice if Liverpool did win on Sunday and we were virtually then guaranteed a place in Europe cos then we could just go all out for fourth spot in the knowledge that it's already been a very successful season (barring a spectacular collapse). There's just no justification for Dalglish's behaviour if you ask me, but I'd love to see who it was who told him he had to continue answering the questions on Sky!

Wigan take the lead against man utd. 1-0

man utd been really poor tonight

So if it stays like this man city could get within 2 points of man u on Saturday.

I'd love to see Fergie blow it :lol:

With one another still to play as well. Would be right back in the mixer. Come on Wigan.

Whats everyone think for today then? are we going to be in europe by half 2?

think everton will win this tbh, Liverpool are shit, Everton are in decent form and too many results have gone our way lately

I think Liverpool will find another gear for Everton but even still it will be a tough match where it's fairly likely that there will be a bunch of contentious refereeing decisions.

Struggling to be going for a Liverpool win but if Everton go through we then have to hope they don't win pending their opponents final position on the table.

Whats everyone think for today then? are we going to be in europe by half 2?

think everton will win this tbh, Liverpool are shit, Everton are in decent form and too many results have gone our way lately

yup. really worried about this.

Guest CabayeAye

Liverpool will scrape a win, but only due to 3 or 4 utterly disgusting refereeing decisions including a penalty for nothing, an Everton player getting sent off and Everton getting a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Liverpool's cup form has been excellent this season to be fair to them, they've beaten Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea in the domestic cups and you have to hope that their experience of big games and playing in finals will see them through.