World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

It is wholly laughable to host the world cup in what is effectively a hi tech village. Apart from that I hate it when the host nation don't win any games/get out of group. WC's should basically be held in Africa, Europe and South America, the rest of the world should be discouraged from taking up football.

Talking shite here, I understand, but without the WC held in Korea/Japan they wouldn't be credible players on the world stage as they are now. Shame we haven't been given the same opportunity.

Robot football should be a different sport tbf.

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

Also, Jack Warner appears to have stitched them up big time.

I don't think it has something to do with the attitude towards England in the world but rather with England's attitude tbh. If it was down to ze good standing in ze vorld ve vould never have hosted it tbf.

I think England were a bit too confident (you even might say arrogant) when running the bid. Of course the process as well as the running of FIFA is a complete farce and needs a complete overhaul. But if you seriously want to host a competition you have to play to these rules at least as good as you (morally) can. Of course looking at the objective and logical reason England's was by far the best bid and should have won by a landslide. But it wasn't just down do the quality but also down to politics and that's were the English bid failed. Just from the outside perspecitve I think what the bid was missing was maybe a bit of humbleness. In the end there are probably far too many similarities between the performances of the FA and the English national team. They know they are good on paper but don't put in the right amount of effort (and may I say "planning"?) to perform successfully.

Agree about Qatar. It doesn't bother me that it's being held in that part of the world but they're talking about building cities for it. Not fucking stadiums but actual cities in which to host the games. What the fuck is all that about? :lol:

Pretend cities. Al 3d modelling and wire framing. Then they'll take then down ans ship them to Liverpool.

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

I don't think it has something to do with the attitude towards England in the world but rather with England's attitude tbh. If it was down to ze good standing in ze vorld ve vould never have hosted it tbf.

I think England were a bit too confident (you even might say arrogant) when running the bid. Of course the process as well as the running of FIFA is a complete farce and needs a complete overhaul. But if you seriously want to host a competition you have to play to these rules at least as good as you (morally) can. Of course looking at the objective and logical reason England's was by far the best bid and should have won by a landslide. But it wasn't just down do the quality but also down to politics and that's were the English bid failed. Just from the outside perspecitve I think what the bid was missing was maybe a bit of humbleness. In the end there are probably far too many similarities between the performances of the FA and the English national team. They know they are good on paper but don't put in the right amount of effort (and may I say "planning"?) to perform successfully.

I defy you to find any evidence of arrogance in, say, Stevie's posts about this.

I agree with you there. The FA have been a shambles in the run up to the bid. You need a dynamic figurehead who is actually running the bid and the organisation. David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

I tell you something if Qatar can host a WC Scotland can. It's a disgrace.

Scotland can't host a world cup because they dont meet the criteria....that being the financial ability to buy off fifa and the actual finance to put the tournament on. It's all about making money for fifa and they will give the tournament to the country who they will make the most from, legally or illegally.

Not legally mate, not legally. It was an accepted fact that England's bid was by far the most economically viable, and profitable.

Yeah fifa probably accept that but then ask themsleves "well whats in it for us?" which is where we fall down by being pretty straight and principled. Thats why I couldnt get too upset about the MPs expenses "scandal" last year....we have the straightest public figures on the planet, regardless of the monor ways in which they step out of line.

Anyway I can't disagree with anything Stevie has mentioned there. How the fuck does an arab country get an opportunity to host the most important tournament in the world?

A country with 1.5 million, most of them immigrants to do hard labour no less. Until they appreciate sport why give it to them?

You've all been warned, expect a prayer-like chanting through speakers. Fucking worse thing I've heard in my life.

I'd rather it have gone to America again than Qatar, at least they appreciate sport and fans can enjoy themselves.

Edited by Ken

I disagree, they were accused of arrogance after the failed 2006 bid and I think they definitely learnt from that. This time around they did put in the leg work and were travelling the world to shake hands and try to gain as much positive PR as possible.

Labour have demanded a root and branch enquiry into the failed bid, personally, I can't see a whole lot that they did wrong. Edit: Lord Triesman aside.

Edited by ewerk

Anyway I can't disagree with anything Stevie has mentioned there here. How the fuck does an arab country get an opportunity to host the most important tournament in the world?

A country with 1.5 million, most of them immigrants to do hard labour.

You've all been warned, expect a prayer-like chanting through speakers. Fucking worst think I've heard in my life.

I'd rather it have gone to America again than Qatar, at least they appreciate sport and fans can enjoy themselves.

America can fuck off an all.

(although I thought USA '94 was mint)

Anyway I can't disagree with anything Stevie has mentioned there here. How the fuck does an arab country get an opportunity to host the most important tournament in the world?

You've all been warned, expect a prayer-like chanting through speakers. Fucking worst think I've heard in my life.

The Iranians are very keen on football. Opp missed to bring together the two tribes imho.

The Iranians are very keen on football. Opp missed to bring together the two tribes imho.

They aren't Arabs though, are they? Keep up man! :lol:

I agree with you there. The FA have been a shambles in the run up to the bid. You need a dynamic figurehead who is actually running the bid and the organisation. David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

Well, we sent the nonsense babbling idiot Beckenbauer around the world back then. But I agree with what you are saying. I am not sure who would have been a charismatic figurehead for the English bid thoug.

They aren't Arabs though, are they? Keep up man! :lol:

Muslims tho innit. The cia could have got in dresses as mascots and blown up shit or summink.

Well, we sent the nonsense babbling idiot Beckenbauer around the world back then. But I agree with what you are saying. I am not sure who would have been a charismatic figurehead for the English bid thoug.

Des Lynam.

Sent the wrong prince - Andrew has no problem with corruption.

David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

The delegates aren't looking for substance though, they're looking for someone to make them feel important, to mix with 'celebrities'.

On a related note, I read that Andy Cole was in Zurich promoting the England bid, getting a bit desperate there.

David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

The delegates aren't looking for substance though, they're looking for someone to make them feel important, to mix with 'celebrities'.

On a related note, I read that Andy Cole was in Zurich promoting the England bid, getting a bit desperate there.

In an official capacity? Jesus Christ.

I know what you mean. What I was really getting at though is that there's no proper figurehead from the FA with authority etc. as the organisation has been a joke of late, what with Lord Triesman etc. Not saying it would have made a difference like but it's a bigger issue for the organisation as a whole. As an aside though, the funny thing is that the English PL is the most popular league in the world but we're fucking hated throughout the globe.

In an official capacity? Jesus Christ.

No, he had white rings painted round his eyes and was doing a jig.

IIRC we sent Claudia Schiffer to the final presentation for those reasons...