World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

My in-laws had a student lodger from Qatar and he was alreet actually. Had never cooked for himself before though as they had Thai housemaids who did everything for them and they also payed no tax. Sounded like a good deal to me. Only problem I had was that he liked showing me videos of beheadings on the internet, whilst touching his nipples. Swear down.

David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

The delegates aren't looking for substance though, they're looking for someone to make them feel important, to mix with 'celebrities'.

IIRC we sent Claudia Schiffer to the final presentation for those reasons...

Heidi Klum would have been preferable to Miss Piggy like.

My in-laws had a student lodger from Qatar and he was alreet actually. Had never cooked for himself before though as they had Thai housemaids who did everything for them and they also payed no tax. Sounded like a good deal to me. Only problem I had was that he liked showing me videos of beheadings on the internet, whilst touching his nipples. Swear down.

:razz::lol:

I wonder if the fifa delegates are aware of such proclivities. :icon_lol:

David Beckham is nice, good looking lad but there's not a lot of substance beyond that. It's a shame like because I honestly think we could have hosted a great tournament.

The delegates aren't looking for substance though, they're looking for someone to make them feel important, to mix with 'celebrities'.

:lol: Heidi Klunge ftw.

You just don't need those sorts of distractions when you're touching his nipples.

That explains Elle Macpherson's appearance for us then. Until your post I was at loss why she was there, especially since she did nought. :lol:

Edited by Ken

See, you would make a great member of the next English commitee. It's not about quality but about what those corrupt old perverts want to see.

On a related note, I read that Andy Cole was in Zurich promoting the England bid, getting a bit desperate there.

In an official capacity? Jesus Christ.

No, he had white rings painted round his eyes and was doing a jig.

:lol:

Qatar has no stadiums, no trains, no major cities. They will construct 12 stadiums then take them down and donate them to other countries after the World Cup.

Fuck me you couldn't make it up. They might aswell have give it to Haiti.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

The Quatar presentation looked quite snazzy and they pointed out that fifa could cover the whole world prime time or summink which has a big impact on tv revenues and sponsorship.

Qatar had the best presentation no doubt. Australia's wasn't so good. An animated Skippy stealing the WC trophy and taking it around Australia. Not the best pitch you'll ever see, not even mediocre tbh, but the execs had made their mind up beforehand anyway. $45 million down the sewer and an assurance bidding again will be a waste of time and effort.

The Quatar presentation looked quite snazzy and they pointed out that fifa could cover the whole world prime time or summink which has a big impact on tv revenues and sponsorship.

Qatar had the best presentation no doubt. Australia's wasn't so good. An animated Skippy stealing the WC trophy and taking it around Australia. Not the best pitch you'll ever see, not even mediocre tbh, but the execs had made their mind up beforehand anyway. $45 million down the sewer and an assurance bidding again will be a waste of time and effort.

Liverpool bids take note. :lol:

I just got done saying that Qatar had nothing 12 years ago and was a desert 24 years ago. They're building cities? Of course they're building cities, they have a country that's essentially a blank slate and unlimited money. They have something imaginatively named Education City now, which is just a built-from-the-ground-up nexus for all the divisions of various universities around the world that build their outposts in Qatar.

This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground. Not where I would've chosen to have the first Middle Eastern world cup, but there's many worse choices.

The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies. People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons. Australia probably would've been a good pick but the time zone issue will have cost them. Nevertheless I expect they'll get it at some point in the future and I wish them well, it'll do the world some good for Australia to have the world cup, just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it.

If fifa are serious than it should go to China.

Aren't they interested in 2026? no point in anyone bidding against them if they are.

Word is very strong that that's the plan for 2026, yes. However, with Qatar in 2022, and a *possibility* of change by then (Sepp has to die at some point, right?) we might see it in Europe. Or the US, or Australia. Any of those would be "reasonable" outcomes.

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

I'm sorry mate but Qatar? do me a favour. It's a charmless, characterless, backward desert backwater. One of the less plesant emirates, and that's saying something. Never in a million years should they be getting the world cup

I just got done saying that Qatar had nothing 12 years ago and was a desert 24 years ago. They're building cities? Of course they're building cities, they have a country that's essentially a blank slate and unlimited money. They have something imaginatively named Education City now, which is just a built-from-the-ground-up nexus for all the divisions of various universities around the world that build their outposts in Qatar.

This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground. Not where I would've chosen to have the first Middle Eastern world cup, but there's many worse choices.

The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies. People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons. Australia probably would've been a good pick but the time zone issue will have cost them. Nevertheless I expect they'll get it at some point in the future and I wish them well, it'll do the world some good for Australia to have the world cup, just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it.

You're a fuckin idiot. Do one. This post to me is like what the Satanic Verses was to your parents. You ignorant cunt.

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

Also, Jack Warner appears to have stitched them up big time.

I don't think it has something to do with the attitude towards England in the world but rather with England's attitude tbh. If it was down to ze good standing in ze vorld ve vould never have hosted it tbf.

I think England were a bit too confident (you even might say arrogant) when running the bid. Of course the process as well as the running of FIFA is a complete farce and needs a complete overhaul. But if you seriously want to host a competition you have to play to these rules at least as good as you (morally) can. Of course looking at the objective and logical reason England's was by far the best bid and should have won by a landslide. But it wasn't just down do the quality but also down to politics and that's were the English bid failed. Just from the outside perspecitve I think what the bid was missing was maybe a bit of humbleness. In the end there are probably far too many similarities between the performances of the FA and the English national team. They know they are good on paper but don't put in the right amount of effort (and may I say "planning"?) to perform successfully.

I respect you, you're a good lad and all that, you come over from Germany to support the toon, brilliant lad by all accounts, very intelligent, totally shite footballer, but a very very welcome bloke by everyone I've spoken to, but what a load of fuckin shite you've just written. Did you copy and paste this from "Bild"?

Over confidence????? Mate look, I'm trying not to be arrogant, but we are fuckin England. That is arrogant reading it, sat in a hoose in Krefeld, but we are. It's our game. We have the most passionate fanbase on earth, us or the Argies, but their clubs are just little mafia's so they don't count. We have the best infrastructure, we're the most famous country on earth, we have arguably (cos i know you krauts have canny stadiums - nee character mind) the best stadiums, best people, funniest people, fuckin honestly. See if I was German and I mean this, if it was a World Cup vote between England and Germany I'd want it to be in England. Everyone knows the World Cup should be in England. Over confidence doesn't come in to it. FIFA's own report said our bid was 10/10, Russia's and the rest 7/10 at best. Holland/Belgium was like fuckin Hayes and Yeading of bids, they got four votes. FUCKIN FOUR. To stop any possibilty of us getting it. Four votes in the first round of voting, yet in the second round two of the total cunts who voted for them changed their vote. Scum cunts. All this English arrogant bollocks. Fuck off. It was a stitch up, and any level headed person on earth would fuckin say the same. We should've had it in 2006. The fact is no cunt likes us. Us and Spain are more powerful than the rest of the world put together, we should just fuck off and start our own association, cos what has happened is the most corrupt disgusting thing I've known in this world since them 1.5m tsioutsi's were murdered in 1995.

You can just imagine the kraut press, "bitter english". It's a fuckin utter Belsen of an outcome is what it is. Level headed people are saying how unjust this is, so fuck off with your "English arrogance" you mug.

Edited by WDP

You're a fuckin idiot. Do one. This post to me is like what the Satanic Verses was to your parents. You ignorant cunt.

Better an ignorant cunt than a drunk one, you utter, utter wanker. Have a good look at yourself when you wake up tomorrow lad. :lol:

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

Also, Jack Warner appears to have stitched them up big time.

I don't think it has something to do with the attitude towards England in the world but rather with England's attitude tbh. If it was down to ze good standing in ze vorld ve vould never have hosted it tbf.

I think England were a bit too confident (you even might say arrogant) when running the bid. Of course the process as well as the running of FIFA is a complete farce and needs a complete overhaul. But if you seriously want to host a competition you have to play to these rules at least as good as you (morally) can. Of course looking at the objective and logical reason England's was by far the best bid and should have won by a landslide. But it wasn't just down do the quality but also down to politics and that's were the English bid failed. Just from the outside perspecitve I think what the bid was missing was maybe a bit of humbleness. In the end there are probably far too many similarities between the performances of the FA and the English national team. They know they are good on paper but don't put in the right amount of effort (and may I say "planning"?) to perform successfully.

I respect you, you're a good lad and all that, you come over from Germany to support the toon, brilliant lad by all accounts, very intelligent, totally shite footballer, but a very very welcome bloke by everyone I've spoken to, but what a load of fuckin shite you've just written. Did you copy and paste this from "Bild"?

Over confidence????? Mate look, I'm trying not to be arrogant, but we are fuckin England. That is arrogant reading it, sat in a hoose in Krefeld, but we are. It's our game. We have the most passionate fanbase on earth, us or the Argies, but their clubs are just little mafia's so they don't count. We have the best infrastructure, we're the most famous country on earth, we have arguably (cos i know you krauts have canny stadiums - nee character mind) the best stadiums, best people, funniest people, fuckin honestly. See if I was German and I mean this, if it was a World Cup vote between England and Germany I'd want it to be in England. Everyone knows the World Cup should be in England. Over confidence doesn't come in to it. FIFA's own report said our bid was 10/10, Russia's and the rest 7/10 at best. Holland/Belgium was like fuckin Hayes and Yeading of bids, they got four votes. FUCKIN FOUR. To stop any possibilty of us getting it. Four votes in the first round of voting, yet in the second round two of the total cunts who voted for them changed their vote. Scum cunts. All this English arrogant bollocks. Fuck off. It was a stitch up, and any level headed person on earth would fuckin say the same. We should've had it in 2006. The fact is no cunt likes us. Us and Spain are more powerful than the rest of the world put together, we should just fuck off and start our own association, cos what has happened is the most corrupt disgusting thing I've known in this world since them 1.5m tsioutsi's were murdered in 1995.

You can just imagine the kraut press, "bitter english". It's a fuckin utter Belsen of an outcome is what it is. Level headed people are saying how unjust this is, so fuck off with your "English arrogance" you mug.

Wow.

Better an ignorant cunt than a drunk one, you utter, utter wanker. Have a good look at yourself when you wake up tomorrow lad. :lol:

Right I've had a good look at myself, my green eyes are a bit red, but you are still an idiot. I'm all for people having opinions but yours is ridiculous. You're sat in America with no concept of the world game saying what a good thing it is for this non-event country to host a World Cup.

"The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies."

You must be taking the piss? What about the fans and players who have to play in a climate more suitable for camels than professional athletes? That is ignorant.

"People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons."

Remind me the last time a Middle Eastern country made it to the World Cup Quarter Finals, and regularly gets out of the group in the finals. America's biggest participation sport in terms of kids is football up to the age of 18, and eventually it will grow to rival the other yank sports. They have a history of producing top players now, and they have a league which far outstrips anything in the middle east. I ask you again tell me the last time a middle East country had a good World Cup. The best WC I remember a middle east country having was Egypt in 1990 and I think they scored one goal. Football culture my arse.

"just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it"

How?????????? How?? Explain this ridiculous remark.

"This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground."

and? I don't actually think you have a point, "yeah it's a good thing them getting it", why???? Just be honest to say it's because a muslim country has it. Like I say Egypt aye, Turkey aye, a country no cunt can point to on the map cos a. it's too small and b. no cunt knows where it is anyway. Mate do one.

Edited by WDP