World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

All about the cash and spreading the 'brand'. Chechnyan sepratists ftw. :lol:

Cash and hookers would be my guess. No wonder the Russkis won. You need deep expertise in corruption and pandering egos to stand a chance with Blatter and his bloated cronies.

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

It will no doubt be a spectacle because no expense will be spared, but that's hardly the point.

How exactly this will be good for the middle east as a whole is beyond me, because the hatred amongst countries in the middle east is essentially ingrained in their people from birth. No doubt the Qatari elite will use this as bragging rights over their neighbours. Seriously the facilities that would be required to foster Football participation that's accessable to all Qatari's is excessive. What's next? Antarctica? Why not? The Qatar World Cup will essentially be an indoors event so the actual venue is more or less irrelevant. Likewise it will be irrelevant to the non-elite Qatar and general middle eastern population who won't be able to afford to go to matches.

That's before you even consider the general feeling in Qatar towards women. I mean seriously, any Qatar women who wishes to work in her own country needs to register in order to be able to legally do so. Firstly though the company must make an application in order to employ a woman.

Anyway, FIFA is beyond a joke, the corruption there is obvious. The whole selection process is ridiculous.

Oh dear, without them who in their right mind will go, and will they be forced to cover themselves from head to toe in 50 degree heat?

Fuck you, Blatter!

I believe they remain nameless to protect FIFA's 'image'.

Sure they said yesterday the votes would be revealed after initial claims it would be kept behind close doors.

A few points

1 - England were promised 8 votes the 48hours ago

2 - The 2 they received were from an Englishman and one of the guys Panorama investigated

3 - After each bidding country spent millions on a comprehensive report to send to Fifa to be rated, only 3 out of 22 of the delegates asked to see them!

4 - Whats going to happen if Israel get to Qatar 2022 seeing as Jews are banned?

5 - With homosexuality being a criminal offence in Qatar what does this say to gay fans and players wanting to attend?

5 - Qatar is the size of Manchester

I believe they remain nameless to protect FIFA's 'image'.

Sure they said yesterday the votes would be revealed after initial claims it would be kept behind close doors.

Ah it was the number of votes they got each round rather than who voted for them. my bad.

Follow SexyPutin on Twitter:

Sexy Putin has 99 problems but not having a World Cup ain't one. Suck it British pig dogs! Hhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahaha.

Sexy Putin laced FIFA bribes with uranium. They not realise yet. Hhahahahahahahahahahahah. Fuck you Blatter.

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

Also, Jack Warner appears to have stitched them up big time.

Why would the kickback hungry and profiteering members of the fifa executive comittee want a World Cup held in a country that already has all its stadiums built? :lol:

They can also play the "first time in Eastern Europe" card

They also get to meet the future King of the United Kingdom, have their and their wives photo's taken with him,shake him by the hand and look him in the eye, and then blatantly lie to him. And to David Beckham. But he's a cock sucking coroporate whore who deserves everything he gets :icon_lol:

It may also be something to do with the fact that England aren't particularly well liked around the world.

This played a major part tbh. And the Premier League is a massive brand globally as well. Perhaps FIFA felt threatened by it?

We should be more bothered about trying to win the World Cup than winning the right to host it at the end of the day. Neither seem very likely to happen like.

Some of the knee-jerking going on in this thread is OTT. Russia was a stitch-up and to me the far more egregious problem. Qatar is an attempt to choose a new frontier for the game, to give something positive to a region where there are relatively few positives, and to show that FIFA are capable of progress. I don't doubt that money played a massive part, but ffs, it's 2010 and some on here are writing off a World Cup that won't happen for 12 years.

I think the Qatari WC will be a true spectacle. The country's administration clearly has ambition and they will spare no expense to make this a success. So much can change in 12 years in a country like Qatar. 12 years ago, it was a shadow of itself; 12 years before that it was a desert. Why don't we wait and see?

Right the whole thing is and was a stitch up regarding Russia. If the entire world bid to host a World Cup and it was fair, not just four countries, the entire world, if it was fairly done England would win every time. That's not in doubt. Everyone knows this was England's World Cup. Now as I said yesterday I'm very bitter, it would've been a magic thing for this country, and I'd have prefered Spain to Russia. However, Russia is a very unique country, the largest in the world unlike any other and being fair about it they have a footballing heritage, so to see Russia win a WC bid at some point, well as one of the super powers, and a country where the league is ranked 6th best in the world, their club sides are regularly starting to compete and win European trophies and they have a few world class players like Arshavin. In a country of 150m people, where football is the number one sport, you can understand why FIFA would give them a World Cup at some point, not our fuckin expense though I may add, the mother country of the game and modern life.

Now, I'm not going to make this in to a race or religion thing, I've got nothing against Muslims, I have a muslim pal as it goes although he says it's a load of bollocks, but your comments about Qatar are being written as a member of the muslim faith in pride at a muslim country hosting the tournament. Russia winning their bid is a fuckin disgrace, but there's merits in having it there. There is not one reason to host a tournament in Qatar not one.

There's 200,000 people in Qatar who are Qatari nationals. There's as many in fuckin Gatesheed and Hebburn and they're going to host a World Cup!! It's a fuckin disgrace. 1.6m people in an area not much bigger than Northumberland hosting THE most important event on earth. Listen don't get me wrong, don't take this as an anti-muslim rant it's anything but, if Egypt had've won it, I'd have supported it had they bid because it's an incredibly passionate football country, who have been champions of Africa three times in a row. Qatar's national team would never qualify for the World Cup in the next 300 years that's a fuckin fact.

40 degree heat???? I've played football in 30 degree heat in Spain and I was fit as fuck and couldn't breath properly for 30 mins after it. They're saying they'll have air conditioned stadiums, they haven't even developed the technology yet for this to cool the playing area down. One stadium built. Two cities with a population of over 30,000 in the entire country. One of the host cities not even built. Ah aye but they'll allow alcohol consumption for the duration of the tournament, fuckin good of them, no doubt 20 quid a pint. It's a disgrace, and they should be held accountable, anyone trying to justify Qatar's selection is a wank. I tell you something if Qatar can host a WC Scotland can. It's a disgrace.

See even if Iran weren't mugs, I'd think aye play it there, or Turkey, or like I say Egypt, I recognise the muslim worlds growing importance, and large amounts of people love football in these countries, but look at it like this if you look at the Arab world as one, it's like England hosting a World Cup on the Isle of Wight. It's a fuckin joke, and there's absolutely no justification for it at all, and you're talking fuckin pish.

It is wholly laughable to host the world cup in what is effectively a hi tech village. Apart from that I hate it when the host nation don't win any games/get out of group. WC's should basically be held in Africa, Europe and South America, the rest of the world should be discouraged from taking up football.

I tell you something if Qatar can host a WC Scotland can. It's a disgrace.

Scotland can't host a world cup because they dont meet the criteria....that being the financial ability to buy off fifa and the actual finance to put the tournament on. It's all about making money for fifa and they will give the tournament to the country who they will make the most from, legally or illegally.

I tell you something if Qatar can host a WC Scotland can. It's a disgrace.

Scotland can't host a world cup because they dont meet the criteria....that being the financial ability to buy off fifa and the actual finance to put the tournament on. It's all about making money for fifa and they will give the tournament to the country who they will make the most from, legally or illegally.

Not legally mate, not legally. It was an accepted fact that England's bid was by far the most economically viable, and profitable.

It is wholly laughable to host the world cup in what is effectively a hi tech village. Apart from that I hate it when the host nation don't win any games/get out of group. WC's should basically be held in Africa, Europe and South America, the rest of the world should be discouraged from taking up football.

They shouldnt be held in Africa again, the last one was fucking gash.

They shouldnt be held in Africa again, the last one was fucking gash.

Yeah strike Africa.

Talking shite here, I understand, but without the WC held in Korea/Japan they wouldn't be credible players on the world stage as they are now. Shame we haven't been given the same opportunity.

Agree about Qatar. It doesn't bother me that it's being held in that part of the world but they're talking about building cities for it. Not fucking stadiums but actual cities in which to host the games. What the fuck is all that about? :lol:

Russia are hardly winning any popularity contests either are they though...