World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

...I care because it will be held in the Middle East and I think the "world game" and indeed the world could do with that. You agree that it's a good idea to have the WC in a Middle Eastern country and you suggest Egypt and Turkey as alternatives. Well, Egypt got exactly zero votes for the 2006 World Cup and there's a reason for that. Of course the football culture there is very strong (I don't know what Ken is talking about - he must be referring to Persian Gulf football specifically when he talks about Middle Eastern football) but the infrastructure isn't and the place is obscenely corrupt. Nobody would be happier than me to have the WC in Egypt, but it just isn't a good host at this stage (and the heat that you and others keep complaining about is no better in Egypt, take it from me.)...

Correct, I refer to the Persian Gulf region (Qatar, UAE, Iraq, Bahrain, Lebanon, Yemen, Jordan, Kuwait) I apologise if I've missed out on any other country. But I excluded Egypt because technically they are a part of the African continent as others have explained, despite the majority having a diet, culture, and language being more arab influenced, and their football association is part of the confederation of Africa. I don't think one person's disputed Egypt's passion for the game, one just has to go through their results as a participant of the African Nations Cup to recognise just how serious a player they are in African football despite falling short in their attempts to qualify for the WC. They even have a proper rivalry with Algeria which makes people sit up and take notice.

Anyway, up to now you've not made one fair point as to why Qatar deserved to host it over the other countries. You've now even tried to play down the climate as an issue, and you think money and belief of a country with a population of 1.5 million will make everything right. I'm sorry, but you've lost me completely.

"Yemen, Jordan" - Yemen is bloody long way from the Persian Gulf...................... and you missed out Saudi

now they are football crazy & have the infrastructure - should have gone there

"Yemen, Jordan" - Yemen is bloody long way from the Persian Gulf...................... and you missed out Saudi

now they are football crazy & have the infrastructure - should have gone there

Yeah, well, you're a self described pedant, so FORW.

Edited by Ken

If we were going to hold the competition in the Middle East we should have gone for one of the countries that are keen

Algeria, Egypt or Iran would do

Rob's geographical brilliance coming to the fore again...

Egypt as well. :lol: They probably should've got the African one as they have as good a tradition of football as anyone on the continent. Was a done deal South Africa were going to get it. Anywhere round there would be a challenge in terms of hosting a tournament in June/July though.

Egypt is normally counted as Middle East - Algeria is Near East if you wish to be pedantic

Both are in the African federation though, therefore neither was able to bid this time round. That was my point.

If we were going to hold the competition in the Middle East we should have gone for one of the countries that are keen

Algeria, Egypt or Iran would do

Rob's geographical brilliance coming to the fore again...

Egypt as well. ;) They probably should've got the African one as they have as good a tradition of football as anyone on the continent. Was a done deal South Africa were going to get it. Anywhere round there would be a challenge in terms of hosting a tournament in June/July though.

Egypt is normally counted as Middle East - Algeria is Near East if you wish to be pedantic

Is it fuck :lol: Near East :) The likes of Cyprus and Lebanon are near east. How can Algeria be "Near East" when it's western most point is the same latitude as the Isles of Scilly. You remind me of Danny Dire.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/0...-foreign-policy

Qatar is using the Arabic news channel al-Jazeera as a bargaining chip in foreign policy negotiations by adapting its coverage to suit other foreign leaders and offering to cease critical transmissions in exchange for major concessions, US embassy cables released by WikiLeaks claim.

The memos flatly contradict al-Jazeera's insistence that it is editorially independent despite being heavily subsidised by the Gulf state.

They will also be intensely embarrassing to Qatar, which last week controversially won the right to host the 2022 World Cup after presenting itself as the most open and modern Middle Eastern state.

@pkelso#Qatar2022 latest: Gay Football Supporters Network 'condemn FIFA's decision and will boycott all activities associated with World Cup 2022 unless they involve Ronaldo in pink speedos'

FTP

England's bid suffered the same fate as Australia's.

Most of the brown paper bag tactics [bribes] were carried out early on re: the first round of voting. Russia & Qatar's two biggest threats [Eng & Aust] were taken out early by the swing vote, or those that were not aligned with the winning parties respective voting blocs from the get-go.

And when China eventually throw it's hat into the ring it will be a waste of time having a crack at it.

I've said this before, either on here or on Newcastle Online.

The sooner England pull out of FIFA, along with all the other major european countries the better.

Then FIFA can continue to award their world cups etc to banana republics and mickey mouse countries, while ignoring the major nations who bring in the money, have the stadiums, the support and most crucially of all, the backing and financial support of the TV companies, who will have the desire to pursue maximum coverage ie pay per view where europe will be the biggest market with all the best players, the best leagues and the major club level international competitions.

What will tip the scales, is when the TV companies demand FIFA to do this, or pull out the money.

Then we will see the FIFA executive squirm, when the major countries of europe along with Brazil and Argentina by special invitation play for the real world cup, leaving the banana republics and the small time pc correct loonies of FIFA to watch their mini world cup comprising of the African and Middle eastern countries that they are obsessed with.

comprising of the African and Middle eastern countries that they are obsessed with.

I think they're obsessed with money, or more specifically, the amount of money that's going into their back pockets. I agree with your sentiment about pulling out, it's a great big pig's trough and the FA and other mugs are paying for the whole damn party. It stinks basically.

comprising of the African and Middle eastern countries that they are obsessed with.

I think they're obsessed with money, or more specifically, the amount of money that's going into their back pockets. I agree with your sentiment about pulling out, it's a great big pig's trough and the FA and other mugs are paying for the whole damn party. It stinks basically.

Great act to pursue on principle but what effect will the FA's removal of itself from FIFA have?

Nothing, mate. Wouldn't make the slightest difference to anybody.

Time for the FA and other clean associations to play dirty.