Official match thread. Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United

tommo

Wrong tactics first half i'm afraid, Shearer or not. Against Stoke there was a clear reason for 3 CB's and that is Stoke are the single most one dimensional team in the prem and won't trouble you with any football so you can sacrifice a bit in the middle. Against Spurs who are strong in midfield we were left short and midfield is our weak spot anyway so to reduce it by playing 3-5-2 which rapidly becomes 5-3-2 only, as the midfield isn't good enough and the wing backs beome pushed back as fullbacks, was wrong.

We weren't in the first half at all because we had nothing in the middle and surrendered possesion continually and could have been out of it by halftime. We didn't manage a single shot off target, never mind on!

Once he made the bold change to throw on Martins and Viduka and play a better formation we were in it and could have snatched a draw if Martins hadn't blown his chance.

As usual R Taylor and Nolan were a waste of space and those corners from Taylor and Duff fitst half were appalling, and one of them lead to their goal!

Also Harper should have saved that shot comfortably, or at the very least pushed it outwards whe he saved it, not all his fault though as the defender put it back across goal in the first place.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost 1-0 away to a pretty decent Spurs side. I'm not happy about it, but it's hardly the worst result we've ever had.

We are in the mix with the other sides around us. Until we're mathematically down we can't let our heads down. Come on you fucking pussies, don't give up yet. :wacko:

Absolutely. Where would this negative attitude have got us in 91? Look what Fulham and West Ham have done in recent seasons. We're staying up!* :icon_lol:

* I'm entitled to change my position come next Monday.

When did you become Mr Optimist? :nufc:

We lost 1-0 away to a pretty decent Spurs side. I'm not happy about it, but it's hardly the worst result we've ever had.

We are in the mix with the other sides around us. Until we're mathematically down we can't let our heads down. Come on you fucking pussies, don't give up yet. :wacko:

Absolutely. Where would this negative attitude have got us in 91? Look what Fulham and West Ham have done in recent seasons. We're staying up!* :icon_lol:

* I'm entitled to change my position come next Monday.

When did you become Mr Optimist? :nufc:

I know it not a usual characteristic but I genuinely believe we can get out of it and there's just no point in being negative at this point.

I regarded this, the Chelsea game, and the Liverpool game, as write-offs. It's what we do in the other games that will count. Realistically, my head says we have about a 30% chance of survival, but for some reason I just feel we will be playing in the premiership next year. Next Monday's match is the most crucial for us in nearly 20 years, perhaps we will feel differently after that, one way or another?

Today's result changes nothing. A win against Pompey is imperative - we all know that. Who reckons we can't beat them????? Anyone????

Agreed

It wasn't so much today's result that mattered - it was the fact that the results yesterday did not help us.. making today more important, even a single point today would have been better than none, as the gap now remains 4 points...

A lot closer to going down I'd say..

4 points adrift with 5 games to go. 1 of those is a write off away to Liverpool. We have to win 3 home games in a row now, considering we've only won 4 all season, its looking very, very difficult.

much better 2nd half. Home games are where we were always going to have to get the points. Good to see Viduka and Martins back on the pitch, hopefully the next few games will see them starting.

reverting back to the Owen, Viduka, Martins combination was the right thing to do aside of Carrols performance last week, this is the best combination we have, in fact its the only combination.

If we don't win next monday night, we are going down.

This.

Defeat today is never going to be the thing that drops us, we showed in the second half that we have something to fight for and I would say three wins will be enough. I'm not convinced we will get those three wins but today hasn't changed anything.

I don't think we need 3 wins, and I don't think we will get them either, but I can't see Hull getting many more points. My head says we are going down now, but my heart says we can get 2 wins and a draw or two.

This is what happens when you make a profit in transfer windows and do your shopping at the cut price, heap of shite player store

Spot on. You reap what you sow. We're shit because Ashley didn't invest properly in the first team last summer and then again in January.

No cover at left-back fucked us up again today. And we don't create chances because we've got wank like Ryan Taylor, Nolan, Smith and the past-it Nicky Butt playing in midfield, which completely wastes the decent options we've got up front. I don't know what Danny Guthrie's done wrong not to get a game ahead of the likes of Smith and Nolan by the way. He's not top class but he's miles better than those two useless cunts.

much better 2nd half. Home games are where we were always going to have to get the points. Good to see Viduka and Martins back on the pitch, hopefully the next few games will see them starting.

reverting back to the Owen, Viduka, Martins combination was the right thing to do aside of Carrols performance last week, this is the best combination we have, in fact its the only combination.

If we don't win next monday night, we are going down.

This.

Defeat today is never going to be the thing that drops us, we showed in the second half that we have something to fight for and I would say three wins will be enough. I'm not convinced we will get those three wins but today hasn't changed anything.

I don't think we need 3 wins, and I don't think we will get them either, but I can't see Hull getting many more points. My head says we are going down now, but my heart says we can get 2 wins and a draw or two.

Since the smogs have arse and manu next two matches you have to hope that after that if we beat them that's them down meaning its a fight to avoid one last place between probably us, Hull and mybe Blackburn. Would be nice for the mackesm to be in it as well, but i don't think with their run in that they should be.

Despite our shite home form i do think we can get 2 wins and a draw and even 3 wins if the crowd, Shearer and the team all play their part. And last game of the season i think Villa will be safely in a UEFA place but no chance of CL place so don't have to kill themselves to win, so i'm not writing that game off either.

This is what happens when you make a profit in transfer windows and do your shopping at the cut price, heap of shite player store

Spot on. You reap what you sow. We're shit because Ashley didn't invest properly in the first team last summer and then again in January.

No cover at left-back fucked us up again today. And we don't create chances because we've got wank like Ryan Taylor, Nolan, Smith and the past-it Nicky Butt playing in midfield, which completely wastes the decent options we've got up front. I don't know what Danny Guthrie's done wrong not to get a game ahead of the likes of Smith and Nolan by the way. He's not top class but he's miles better than those two useless cunts.

Compare our january spending with todays opponents 40/50m? and it's perfectly clear why we struggled

Keegan wanted another left back all summer but was ignored

I actually though Smith used the ball reasonably well when he came on surprisingly, but toally agree, Guthrie should be walking into the team ahead of Nolan and even though Guthrie isn't a wide player i'd play him wide right ahead of R Taylor who is a nothing player.

I actually though Smith used the ball reasonably well when he came on surprisingly, but toally agree, Guthrie should be walking into the team ahead of Nolan and even though Guthrie isn't a wide player i'd play him wide right ahead of R Taylor who is a nothing player.

Difficult to say who's worse - Ryan Taylor or Nolan. They're both abysmal.

Difficult to say who's worse - Ryan Taylor or Nolan. They're both abysmal.

Its touch and go isn't it! Neither has offered anything whatsoever positive and so its down to what's worse between Taylor looking likely to give goals away ie vs manu and tried it again vs Stoke, or Nolan costing us the Everton game with his red card and i think against Stoke he did another dodgy tackle that could have got him in bother.

I'm going to repeat what I said a couple of months ago in the context of this game - our only hope is the presence of Viduka and Martins in as many matches as possible.

Just got in from the pub, havent read the thread, but what a pile of absolute dross.

Shearers goodwill reduced with the fielding of that pathetic shit of a team.

Theres one thing talking the talk in midweek, but putting out that pile of dross is strange to say the least.

Part of me now thinks we need to drop down to bottom out and go through the cleansing process.

Wankers

It's looking like we'll be finding out soon enough. :nufc:

No good will come of relegation. This "cleansing process" or "getting rid of the deadwood" bullshit is annoying beyond the pail.

No good will come of relegation. This "cleansing process" or "getting rid of the deadwood" bullshit is annoying beyond the pail.

Like the majority of your posts you fat dullard.

good to see you weighing in with something insightful and witty again Wacky, truly, your ability to really explain the game in all it's guises is remarkable.

Now run along and leer after some fat tramp, won't you?

Bassong wants locking up for their goal tbh.

So ridiculously deep compared to the rest of the back line. Normally when a defender makes an interception like that his defensive colleagues are there to mop up. This wan't possible due to the weapon being 10 yards deeper than everyone else.

Edited by Sima

Like the majority of your posts you fat dullard.

good to see you weighing in with something insightful and witty again Wacky, truly, your ability to really explain the game in all it's guises is remarkable.

Now run along and leer after some fat tramp, won't you?

:nufc: Touchy, touchy