The Boxing thread

Jimbo

Difficult to see a different result at the rematch. After Fury's post fight comments, it's just unfortunate that Usyk didn't land that shot earlier in the round so he could have finished him. 

It was a clear Usyk win, but some of the rounds were fairly close where Usyk actually put in more work just to counter some big hits from Fury. Usyk had the first 3 and I had Fury with the next 3 but once Usyk smashed him in the nose, Fury tailed away and was lights out on those ropes. His eyes were in different postcodes before the ref jumped in which I thought was too early. He either stops it as a contest or Fury takes a few more before hitting the canvas. Weirdly when Fury was in control in the 5th and 6th, he didn't go on and stay on the front foot, so Usyk just dictated a higher tempo. 

Fury probably was in his best shape for this fight but I'm glad he lost for his disrespectful showponying in the first few rounds and his complete lack of class at the final bell. He's a fucking idiot and Usyk did a proper job of it. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The ref was a fucking disgrace tbh. You either stop the fight or let Usyk finish him off. You don’t step in and give him an eight count which was actually longer than 8 seconds. It was a close fight until then and I think Ritchie Woodall’s scorecard that had Fury a round up until then was probably spot on (at that point). Although a lot of those early rounds were close and difficult to score. Usyk won the last three rounds though so that should’ve been a 5 point swing with the 9th. I think fitness really showed in the end. Also I thought Fury had a big opportunity after hurting Usyk in the 5th with some body shots. But he sat back and admired his work instead of going for the kill. Excellent fight like. Shame Fury had to be an ungracious wanker at the end. But that’s entirely in character. The TNT commentary team were very optimistic in terms of how they saw the fight from Fury’s pov too :lol: 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chaser said:

It was a clear Usyk win, but some of the rounds were fairly close where Usyk actually put in more work just to counter some big hits from Fury. Usyk had the first 3 and I had Fury with the next 3 but once Usyk smashed him in the nose, Fury tailed away and was lights out on those ropes. His eyes were in different postcodes before the ref jumped in which I thought was too early. He either stops it as a contest or Fury takes a few more before hitting the canvas. Weirdly when Fury was in control in the 5th and 6th, he didn't go on and stay on the front foot, so Usyk just dictated a higher tempo. 

Fury probably was in his best shape for this fight but I'm glad he lost for his disrespectful showponying in the first few rounds and his complete lack of class at the final bell. He's a fucking idiot and Usyk did a proper job of it. 

Exactly how I saw it. Very telling that it was a very fit and focused Fury but he was still clearly second best 

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 14:43, Dazzler said:

That's what I am expecting - Except I fully expect a bent decision with the scores that leads to a draw and forces a shitfest rematch no one wants.

Unless Fury can knock Usyk down I expect Usyk to outbox/score him as he's the superior technician IMO, but the judges will still score it evenly.

Bookmark this to royally mock me on Sunday morning when I get this immensely wrong :lol:

Pretty much nailed it...

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

I thought it was a great fight with both of them going at it. These massive bouts can often be cagey and underwhelming. Fury looked good in the middle rounds but Usyk clearly won it in the 9th when the ref could have stopped the fight and fury was saved by the bell. How the fuck didn’t he go down  The lights were out and the way he was bouncing off the ropes was comical. 

Glad Usyk won in after hearing Fury’s salty comments at the end. The better fighter won. 

Did anyone notice that Fury coach was telling him one thing when he was in his corner and his dad was contradicting him telling fury he was ahead in the fight, when he clearly wasn’t. Bizarre from old man fury and probably time to sling him from his corner 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

That Canadian judge who scored the fight to Fury btw :lol: Maybe he was in the toilet when Usyk had him rebounding off every corner, stumbling into more and more punches for about 30 seconds 

squirrel GIF

I'm not convinced that it will be the same result when they meet again. To me, the first few rounds, Fury was trying to weigh up Usyk. I also think it was a bit demoralising as it appeared that he coold not hurt Fury at that point. Then Fury seemed to hurt Usyk and I couldn't see a way back for him. 

I have not watched it back yet.

Clearly a victory for Usyk on what I watched last night but I would be really pleased to see another fight between them. 

I would also like to see the AJ we have seen in his last two fights face both Usyk and Fury.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I'm not convinced that it will be the same result when they meet again. To me, the first few rounds, Fury was trying to weigh up Usyk. I also think it was a bit demoralising as it appeared that he coold not hurt Fury at that point. Then Fury seemed to hurt Usyk and I couldn't see a way back for him. 

I have not watched it back yet.

Clearly a victory for Usyk on what I watched last night but I would be really pleased to see another fight between them. 

I would also like to see the AJ we have seen in his last two fights face both Usyk and Fury.

Against Ngannou, AJ demonstrated his fearless and ruthless style which in his early days, had him at the top of the heavyweight tree. If he gets Fury, I do wonder if he'll have the mental resilience to trust in his boxing and take the fight to him. Fury is one of those boxers who against lesser opponents, can finish them off when he chooses to. AJs chin and how he guard against that is key for him. Although I was firmly in the Usyk camp for last night, Fury is a massive problem for AJ. 

It seems to have been missed that before the 12th Fury's corner were telling him to be sensible and if we wins the round then he wins the fight. About half way through it he stunned Usyk and didn't pounce. Best man on the night won but I'd ask questions there cos Usyk was clearly winning.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same, I don't know why the corner don't tell their fighter they need to win by KO. 

But then you see the scorecard, and what all corners probably know is never to second guess the judges. Better to get through the round and get to the decision, than go loco and get knocked out yourself, only to discover you were unexpectedly ahead on the scorecard. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I was thinking the same, I don't know why the corner don't tell their fighter they need to win by KO. 

But then you see the scorecard, and what all corners probably know is never to second guess the judges. Better to get through the round and get to the decision, than go loco and get knocked out yourself, only to discover you were unexpectedly ahead on the scorecard. 

The trainer for Fury was saying it, but his dad was telling him he was winning and his ego wouldn’t let him listen to the objectivity of his trainer.

56 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Against Ngannou, AJ demonstrated his fearless and ruthless style which in his early days, had him at the top of the heavyweight tree. If he gets Fury, I do wonder if he'll have the mental resilience to trust in his boxing and take the fight to him. Fury is one of those boxers who against lesser opponents, can finish them off when he chooses to. AJs chin and how he guard against that is key for him. Although I was firmly in the Usyk camp for last night, Fury is a massive problem for AJ. 

The bloke is finished now, the wilder fights have took their toll, and his chin isn’t remotely as strong as it used to be. His awkwardness could be a problem for him but if AJ continues as he has in his last 2-3 fights and lands that monster right on Fury then it’s lights out. Unlike Wilder Joshua wouldn’t panic if he got back up and would turn the pressure up.

Fury has avoided Joshua like the plague despite what Fury’s hoop lickers would have you believe, and that’s because Joshua is all wrong for Fury IMO. He hits like Wilder but is far more accurate and laser focused, plus has a lot more technique than he’s given credit for. In their current form I think AJ batters him. Five years ago I’d have said the opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

Two on one is a bit unfair.

• Haha 3

Apart from Usyk (who is 37) I think an over the hill Klitschko (who I accept was still a very good fighter), I don’t think Fury has fought anyone of note. I’m not saying he isn’t a really good heavyweight. For a bloke his size he’s very fast but for someone being talked about as an all time great then his record is less than impressive in terms of opponents. Wilders got a hell of a knockout punch on him but he’s never been a great technical boxer. I bet he never fights Joshua either. I wouldn’t be surprised if this rematch doesn’t happen too. 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Apart from Usyk (who is 37) I think an over the hill Klitschko (who I accept was still a very good fighter), I don’t think Fury has fought anyone of note. I’m not saying he isn’t a really good heavyweight. For a bloke his size he’s very fast but for someone being talked about as an all time great then his record is less than impressive in terms of opponents. Wilders got a hell of a knockout punch on him but he’s never been a great technical boxer. I bet he never fights Joshua either. I wouldn’t be surprised if this rematch doesn’t happen too. 

Another retirement followed by a cash grab in Saudi against Chisora is almost nailed on at this point.. The only thing that keeps him going is his pride, so he may well want the rematch but Usyk has the measure of him now, and Fury isn’t all that adaptable, as was proven last night. Usyk came under pressure and changed things up and Fury couldn’t really recover.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

it was just his dad though telling him he was ahead, it sounded like to me. he seemed to contradict what sugarhill steward was saying. 

might explain fury's comments at the end of the fight. that his dad convinced him he was ahead in the fight - it was pretty obvious he lost it in the 9th and needed a KO in the final round or a knockdown for it to be close 

Edited by Dr Gloom

On 19/05/2024 at 15:51, Alex said:

Since he nacked Wilder again I've thought he was back on the gear from his interviews. I think he's a better boxer than Usyk but he's self-destructive, if he stays clean I can see him knocking Usyk out in October, but aye I'll be slightly surprised if the fight even happens.

• Like 1