Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

If the Star Trek universe is assumed to be a future version of ours. e.g. Marvel is mostly set in the here and now, yet thanks to Stark the world has tech that's not available now, the Winter Soldier has had a robotic arm since WW2, and so on.

In the ST universe, 3D holographic video conferencing were apparently commonplace pre-Kirk. As were replicators and so on.

Aye but back in the days of Kirk, these things may have been thought of, but they certainly weren't widely known about.  And the TV production companies of the day had no way of bringing them to life on screen anyway.  3D Printers for example are well known things now and they could be easily considered to be a precursor to replicators.  So once they've been used in that universe on TNG it makes no sense to go back to what the known technology of the 60's could bring to the screen.   Yes they could make them slightly less advanced than other incarnations set further in the future, but you can't make a show that has future where we can travel the universe and fuck green bints but most of the other technology is behind what we have now.

14 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Aye but back in the days of Kirk, these things may have been thought of, but they certainly weren't widely known about.  And the TV production companies of the day had no way of bringing them to life on screen anyway.  3D Printers for example are well known things now and they could be easily considered to be a precursor to replicators.  So once they've been used in that universe on TNG it makes no sense to go back to what the known technology of the 60's could bring to the screen.   Yes they could make them slightly less advanced than other incarnations set further in the future, but you can't make a show that has future where we can travel the universe and fuck green bints but most of the other technology is behind what we have now.

Aye, but again, you're assuming it's a future iteration of our science, of our universe. It doesn't bother me in things like Aliens, where we've more advanced technology now than they had in that film, because it's a separate universe. But in Prometheus and stuff, how if it's a prequel do they have more advanced shit than Ripley and her pals?  

e.g. the Star Trek films, with young Kirk, the stuff looks cleaner, sleeker, but the tech is in-keeping with that universe's timeline, isn't it? If Chris Pratt's Kirk was dicking about with shit that Stewart's Pickard didn't have yet, that'd be odd, wouldn't it? In the terrible Star Wars prequels, they made an effort to make the ships look like older, clunkier versions of the more sleek ships we saw in the originals. The targeting systems on the Millenium Falcon were the same in TFA to the ones used in the originals.

It's absolutely a minor thing, but it just jars when I see something like that.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

Aye, but again, you're assuming it's a future iteration of our science, of our universe. It doesn't bother me in things like Aliens, where we've more advanced technology now than they had in that film, because it's a separate universe. But in Prometheus and stuff, how if it's a prequel do they have more advanced shit than Ripley and her pals?  

e.g. the Star Trek films, with young Kirk, the stuff looks cleaner, sleeker, but the tech is in-keeping with that universe's timeline, isn't it? If Chris Pratt's Kirk was dicking about with shit that Stewart's Pickard didn't have yet, that'd be odd, wouldn't it? In the terrible Star Wars prequels, they made an effort to make the ships look like older, clunkier versions of the more sleek ships we saw in the originals. The targeting systems on the Millenium Falcon were the same in TFA to the ones used in the originals.

It's absolutely a minor thing, but it just jars when I see something like that.

If Chris Pratt was dicking about with anything in the Star Trek universe I'd wonder where the rest of Guardians had got to well before considering the technology.

Tbh I thought it was a bit daft in the Chris Pine Star Trek films where they tried to back to the technology of the original Shatner tech that as I say was based on the available tech of the time it was made.  It makes no sense to me that you'd go back to stuff that is out of date in the present day. 

Clearly we're not going to agree on this so I'll just sit back and bask in the glory of knowing my Star Lords from my Kirks.

23 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I'd watched the first couple of episodes of season 3 when they were first shown but then got distracted with Twin Peaks, Game Of Thrones and re watching The Sopranos.  So I've just watched the last couple of Fargo's and so last night when I got in after five a side I thought I stick episode 3 on.  I ended sitting up until 1 watching it and then watched episode 7 this morning.  The lead up to and fall out from Jimmy's Bar Association hearing was excellent.

I finished Better Call Saul last night.  I thought Jimmy's story got a little bit less interesting post the Bar review and pre the final scene.  But Mike, Nacho  & Gus kept it going.

I started watching the latest Electric dreams but ended up falling asleep.  It seemed pretty mental though.

18 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I finished Better Call Saul last night.  I thought Jimmy's story got a little bit less interesting post the Bar review and pre the final scene.  But Mike, Nacho  & Gus kept it going.

I started watching the latest Electric dreams but ended up falling asleep.  It seemed pretty mental though.

Nacho's a really good character actually. I like the interaction of Jimmy and Kim too and the subtle way their relationship plays out.

46 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

If Chris Pratt was dicking about with anything in the Star Trek universe I'd wonder where the rest of Guardians had got to well before considering the technology.

Tbh I thought it was a bit daft in the Chris Pine Star Trek films where they tried to back to the technology of the original Shatner tech that as I say was based on the available tech of the time it was made.  It makes no sense to me that you'd go back to stuff that is out of date in the present day. 

Clearly we're not going to agree on this so I'll just sit back and bask in the glory of knowing my Star Lords from my Kirks.

:lol: I am defeated.

Different rules for different universes, but in those universes the rules have to be consistent. :dunno:

25 minutes ago, Alex said:

Nacho's a really good character actually. I like the interaction of Jimmy and Kim too and the subtle way their relationship plays out.

Does Jimmy actually shag Kim much if at all. I'd be all over her like a rash in his position. 

Just now, Renton said:

Does Jimmy actually shag Kim much if at all. I'd be all over her like a rash in his position. 

It's definitely inferred a few times, like she's stayed over at his and she's waering his University of American Samoa ( :lol: ) top and he stays over at hers at least once. There's an intimacy about them when (for example) they're both brushing their teeth at the same time which suggests a relationship beyond the platonic. But, aye, it's just hinted at and he's punching well above his weight. Something I know all about ;)

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've started watching the new Twin Peaks. I think I might be too old for this shit. 

Sounds like this might be right up your straza

Currently got Ray Donovan (good, like the new direction this series has taken)

Tin Star (Tim Roth is good but there's a few plot holes, still decent enough)

Electric Dreams (only watched the 1st one but good so far)

on the go and have The Deuce ready to watch too. But I'll defintely give Mindhunter a go as it sounds like my type of thing and the reviews look good. And Gemmill even likes it

46 minutes ago, The Fish said:

CT would love it, guaranteed.

Nah, I have no time for 99% of these formula same thing every week shows.

Struggling to find anything very good with a few seasons to go at. Luckily having a diabolically shit memory means I can revisit stuff regularly. Just watched the superb Narcos again.

Apart from that I’m delving into the bowels of Netflix for stuff like Wallander.

Also heard on the radio today that Peaky Blinders is canny.

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Currently got Ray Donovan (good, like the new direction this series has taken)

Tin Star (Tim Roth is good but there's a few plot holes, still decent enough)

Electric Dreams (only watched the 1st one but good so far)

on the go and have The Deuce ready to watch too. But I'll defintely give Mindhunter a go as it sounds like my type of thing and the reviews look good. And Gemmill even likes it

Check The Americans on Netflix.