Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Finally got round to devouring season 2 of Scandal over the last few days. I'm a fan. Naturally the fella ended up in a Twitter conversation about the show with one of Love City Groove.

Just finished season one of Homeland. Thoroughly enjoyed it although a bit disappointed by the ending. Hoping for a 24 style resolution / next season where as now it looks as though the cat and mouse will continue on. Can see him running for President followed by a typical tie up further down the line. (Hope I'm wrong).

And too much Jazz!

In terms of story, plot, writing, inventive situations and solutions it's a bit emperors new clothes. It's set up as being clever but when you think it through the situations don't hold water. For example...

The roof fall was a complete copout. While I was impressed at the big "fuck you" at fans pining for answers, to offer none and take this piss out of any that are suggested was just bollocks. It renders any and every episode pointless in that they can just promise you Sherlock fixed things and tell you not to worry how.

The wedding one was the more entertaining of the 2 so far, but the string of coincidences that saw them investigate 2 random cases that were then linked to the wedding day murder was daft...and i still don't know why the murderer was getting into all those women.

...but I might be stupid and just didn't understand them myself.

What you can't take away from it is the production value. That's always brilliant and worth watching for alone. I always get more enjoyment from the flashy editing than the storylines :D

In terms of story, plot, writing, inventive situations and solutions it's a bit emperors new clothes. It's set up as being clever but when you think it through the situations don't hold water. For example...

The roof fall was a complete copout. While I was impressed at the big "fuck you" at fans pining for answers, to offer none and take this piss out of any that are suggested was just bollocks. It renders any and every episode pointless in that they can just promise you Sherlock fixed things and tell you not to worry how.

The wedding one was the more entertaining of the 2 so far, but the string of coincidences that saw them investigate 2 random cases that were then linked to the wedding day murder was daft...and i still don't know why the murderer was getting into all those women.

...but I might be stupid and just didn't understand them myself.

What you can't take away from it is the production value. That's always brilliant and worth watching for alone. I always get more enjoyment from the flashy editing than the storylines :D

Sherlock explained how he did it to the Andersen.

That was the real explanation and the use of Andersen (now an obsessed fanboy of sorts) and his doubtful reaction was the clever way of anticipating the likely reaction of the fans to any genuine explanation if they had given it simply.

The writers gave the genuine explanation but then mocked how the fans would have reacted to it. I think....

Sherlock explained how he did it to the Andersen.

That was the real explanation and the use of Andersen (now an obsessed fanboy of sorts) and his doubtful reaction was the clever way of anticipating the likely reaction of the fans to any genuine explanation if they had given it simply.

The writers gave the genuine explanation but then mocked how the fans would have reacted to it. I think....

Aye it would inevitably have got a doubtful reaction because it was bollocks, but like you say they'd written him into a situation where whatever they did would have been bollocks :D

I watched the first episode of 3 under protest, and haven't been back since.

There's a peak halfway through season 3 that results in a really annoying reveal that's just bollocks, and then it builds again to a really exciting/solid conclusion which a series so similar to 24 demands I think. I appreciated that rather than the open ended cliffhangers which falsely suggest the writers are doing any more than winging it.