Who's going to sign Owen?

TicTacWoe

All things considered, his wages, his injury record, his supposed gambling problems and his seeming lack of heart for this club are their really going to be that many buyers for Owen? Personally I can't see where he's gonna end up. Previously I had a feeling Man City would end up signing him after they fail in any of their outlandish bids for Kaka, Villa etc, but even they have Bellemy and Robinho, who in the modern game are far more useful to have around then the often crocked Owen of today.

Spurs already have 5 international strikers, having just re-signed Keane and Defoe I can't see him going there either. Aston Villa are another option but O'Neill does not like to sign players with a track record of injuries, and is generally a very cautious character so I can't see him taking the risk.

Then there's Everton but there's no way they could afford wages anything like what we've been paying him and after their injury ravaged season it's unlikely Moyes would go for him either. That leaves another bunch of clubs that would either be unable to afford him or may not be seen as good enough/high profile enough for Owen.

Unless he goes abroad (again who'd want him?) I really can't figure out what's going to happen to Owen. Could it be possible that he could end up staying here after all?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All things considered, his wages, his injury record, his supposed gambling problems and his seeming lack of heart for this club are their really going to be that many buyers for Owen? Personally I can't see where he's gonna end up. Previously I had a feeling Man City would end up signing him after they fail in any of their outlandish bids for Kaka, Villa etc, but even they have Bellemy and Robinho, who in the modern game are far more useful to have around then the often crocked Owen of today.

Spurs already have 5 international strikers, having just re-signed Keane and Defoe I can't see him going there either. Aston Villa are another option but O'Neill does not like to sign players with a track record of injuries, and is generally a very cautious character so I can't see him taking the risk.

Then there's Everton but there's no way they could afford wages anything like what we've been paying him and after their injury ravaged season it's unlikely Moyes would go for him either. That leaves another bunch of clubs that would either be unable to afford him or may not be seen as good enough/high profile enough for Owen.

Unless he goes abroad (again who'd want him?) I really can't figure out what's going to happen to Owen. Could it be possible that he could end up staying here after all?

no, he's out of contract

no, he's out of contract

Im aware of that thanks, I mean he could sign a new contract, no doubt on less wages. It's very unlikely but as I said who's going to take him?

I'm struggling to think of who could and would take him to be honest

he'll have to take a massive wage cut either way

If he cut his wages by 3/4, and sorted out his fitness, he may be worthy of the blue and white halves. He'd fit in well with who's apparently going to be our first signing-Andy Van Der Meyde!!!

If he cut his wages by 3/4, and sorted out his fitness, he may be worthy of the blue and white halves. He'd fit in well with who's apparently going to be our first signing-Andy Van Der Meyde!!!

I reckon Owen thinks he's too good for the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, don't get me wrong, he isn't but I think he'd sooner retire then join another club that could potentially be battling for relegation (though I reckon Blackburn will be safe next year myself)

Does anyone even care? I know I don't...

beat me to it. He can rot in Gatesheads reserves for all I care.

I'd put him in America to be honest, fucker's only after money anyway.

I reckon Owen thinks he's too good for the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, don't get me wrong, he isn't but I think he'd sooner retire then join another club that could potentially be battling for relegation (though I reckon Blackburn will be safe next year myself)

Owen seems a shadow of his former self, so a Bolton or a Blackburn is probably his level. He may get his mojo again, but it looks like it'll be a long wait which would exclude Villa, Spuds or similar teams. He may go to Everton as they don't have many strikers.

He was after beating Bobby Charlton's record of goals for England, but Capello has pretty much thrown that chance out of the window.

Owen seems a shadow of his former self, so a Bolton or a Blackburn is probably his level. He may get his mojo again, but it looks like it'll be a long wait which would exclude Villa, Spuds or similar teams. He may go to Everton as they don't have many strikers.

exactly, but whether he thinks that or not is the problem

He was after beating Bobby Charlton's record of goals for England, but Capello has pretty much thrown that chance out of the window.

Aye and as soon as it fuckin dawned on him that Capello wasn't watching he gave up - he hasn't struck a fuckin bat for six months

wouldn't work in capello's system.

Yeah, the MLS might well be where his future lies. I know it doesn't really matter at all now, I just started the thread because I'm trying to think of things other than what happened earlier.

I think Everton will sign him.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to add that I don't care if he goes to Everton or Outer Mongolia, he barely broke a sweat in the last six months and I've always hated him, irrationally or not.

Edited by acrossthepond