Owen

The Fish

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cut Michael Owen, he bleeds pound sterling*.

*Depending on the exchange rate.

Cole?

Aye which to me is cold hard realisation of the gulf that has increased between the two clubs over the past 14 years. When we sold them Cole, we were selling to our rivals for the league. Owen has joined a club which are in another world to us. :lol:

Man United have asserted their dominance over English football for the best part of two decades.

We had a couple of brushes at the top and Man United were only ever our rivals once. We haven't been remotely close to them for a long time.

We are on a footballing roller coaster of embarrassment and disappointment at the moment but it will get better and anything we win in my lifetime will mean more than a whole load of Man United's trophies.

Aye Tom, I wasn't looking for a breakdown of how we've gone seperate ways like, i'm well aware of the differences... :lol:

All I'm saying is that it is stark proof of that. Even more so is that Man Utd attract him on a mere sliver of the salary we were paying him. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if signing Michael Owen on the contract we did assumed we couldn't match the outlay on decent players to 'feed' him then we shouldn't have done it.

This one was Fred's doing and I'll hold my hands up and admit I was ecstatic at the time. Mercenary bastard or not, he was far and above the best player we had on our books last season - not the player he once was but his footballing brain was ahead of everyone elses.

It's easy for us to say we're 'not arsed' about him etc but that's pride kicking him. Given what I hoped his arrival would give to NUFC, it smarts to see him wearing a Man Utd shirt now - even more so that not one penny of the £17m we paid for him has come back.

IMO Man Utd have got one of the best strikers in the league. He's not the reason we got relegated - we went down because we had a shite midfield that both dropped a half-decent defence in shit time and time again and also failed to provide what was a pretty decent front line with any type of service.

Trouble with Owen is that, as it's always been, his primary objective is to get in the England squad - particularly for a World Cup. He was never going to achieve that playing in the Championship but did Man Utd offer him the best platform to do so? I think not. IMO he'd have been better off going to somewhere like Villa and establishing himself as the first choice striker in a very good footballing side.

I really couldn't give a shit, he never felt like our player, it just felt wrong from the moment he signed, and this isn't sour grapes or bitterness.

What he said^^^

Lets face it we never saw him smile like that at Newcastle.......

_46009673_michaelowen_getty466.jpg

Bet he can't believe his luck........does not deserve it.

Will be a flop though......

Edited by duo

I really couldn't give a shit, he never felt like our player, it just felt wrong from the moment he signed, and this isn't sour grapes or bitterness.

What he said^^^

Lets face it we never saw him smile like that at Newcastle.......

_46009673_michaelowen_getty466.jpg

Bet he can't believe his luck........does not deserve it.

Will be a flop though......

I don't think he will be a flop tbh, there's several reasons he didn't do anything for us, for starters we weren't his first choice when leaving Madrid. Add that to him not getting the service he needs to score goals and our general rubbishness of our team, he was always going to struggle. At Man Utd he'll get great service, be surrounded by a winning team and have a decent manager to keep him motivated.

I don't like the little Welsh shite, I think he should never have signed for us but hindsight's a great thing.

At Man Utd he'll get great service, be surrounded by a winning team and have a decent manager to keep him motivated.

That's true... at Liverpool he only really worked with Houllier (Evans was only there for the first couple of months of his Liverpool career and one of the first things Benitez did was sell Owen). At Madrid he only had the one boss.

Whereas at Newcastle, in 4 years he worked under the following:

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

Keegan

Kinnear

Hughton

Shearer

That's nearly 2 managers per year!! Admittedly all the others who've been here since Owen signed have had to endure the same but seriously....

For the umpteenth time as a Newcastle supporter I feel like I've been bent over backwards. We are in the shit that's getting deeper and the people responsible are coming up smelling of roses.

Never fucking ends.

Just like Dyer I hope he gets injured in the first few games and then spends most of the season struggling to regain fitness. Nothing but a blight on this club, took his money and did as little as possible. Never showed promise and was one of 11 reasons for being relegated. We would have been no better off with 10 men in some games.

I'm likely to be shot down in flames for this one but fuck it, the very reason this place exists is to promote debate.

I fail to see what everyone's current beef with Michael Owen is - why there is a need to 'modify' an image so it refers to his as cunt.

Is it his fault we were prepared to pay £17m for him? No it's not.

Is it his fault he was offered a 4 year contract paying in excess of £100K a week and included helicopter transport to and from the training ground? Well his agent may have pushed for it but someone at NUFC at the time had to agree to the demands so again, the blame is not Owen's.

Is it his fault that he suffered some fucking horrendous injuries which reduced his appearance tally to 79? No it's not

Some will argue that we didn't get our money's worth out of him but one swallow doesn't make a summer. We never invested properly in the team that surrounded him and the support and delivery a player in a style such as his demands was never forthcoming.

At Real Madrid he scored 14 goals in 40 appearances - pretty much a goal every three games - something which at the time I recall was being touted as one of the best scoring averages in the entire La Liga.

With us he netted 30 goals in those 79 games - a better return wouldn't you say? Despite the shite he was playing amongst.

Who's fault is it that his contract was allowed to run down? Well I think we can firmly lay the blame for that one at the door of the Ashley administration. KK said as much this time last year when he said the most important signing of last summer would be Michael Owen. He was desperate to get him a new contract, Ashley didn't want to know. Criminal..

Can you blame him for signing for Manchester United? Really?? The bloke has no affinity with Newcastle - he ISN'T Shearer and despite many of you claiming you understand and / or appreciate that, what you say often suggests you don't. He's no more Newcastle than Andy Cole was (another player who jumped to OT at the drop of a hat). He's pushing 30 and been offered the chance to play for the Champions of England and possibly challenge for a Champions League medal - of course he's going to take it.

Any animosity born out of this whole sorry affair should be directed at the board of directors, both past and present, of Newcastle United Football Club.

Shepherd's board are responsible for signing him on such a ridiculous salary package

Ashley's board are responsible for failing to re-negotiate the contract at all - if KK is to be believed, negotiations barely took place

Both boards are ultimately responsible for the fact that the team his abilities needed was never built around him.

The vitriol aimed towards him borders on obsessive and in the case of some (the NUFC.COM boys included) goes way beyond it. He owes us fuck all - was paid what the club thought he deserved (how this can be his fault is lost on me - I know if my employers agreed to pay me a huge retainer that I felt was beyond what it should be I'd rip their fucking hands off and so would the rest of you.

The saddest point of all is that we had the equivalent of Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Greaves, Kevin Keegan or Gary Lineker of his generation on our books and we failed to provide a team to be able to get the best out of him.

All a bit gutting really.

Fair play Craig, he came to us because we were the only club willing to take him on, thats not his fault, its not his fault that we were willing to offer such a lucrative wage, its not his fault his signed up for it, despite his injury record during his spell at the club he would constantly be picked out by cameras during his recovery during televised matches in his private box, often with his wife and daughter despite rumours of him traveling up by helicopter and never falling in love with the club as was expected.

But what I will blame him for is his motivation to be fit for England internationals at the expense of prematurely injuring himself for his club, and using Newcastle United as his recovery team and as a vehicle for getting an England recall, and to the latter period looking generally non-comital to the cause of keeping his generous benefactor in the Premier League.

As I said before, I bare no malice, he joined us out of a lack of alternatives, he never ever felt like our player, and never had the service and delivery from his team mates to show us truly what he could, now I fear he will.

Fair comments Jimbo although I think we knew he was England's Michael Owen long before we bought him.

To put another angle on it I'd suggest that if he wasn't so motivated by playing for England, he'd never have come here in the first place.

You weren't one of the ones I was suggest was baring him malice and I see where you're coming from when you say he never really felt he was our player. Even that though I can't solely blame on him - it highlights what a fucking shambles NUFC has been over the past 5 years.

Aparently only the 4th player to play for both Liverpool and Manchester United. The others being Phil Chisnall, Paul Ince and.....

Peter Beardsley :lol:

I'm likely to be shot down in flames for this one but fuck it, the very reason this place exists is to promote debate.

I fail to see what everyone's current beef with Michael Owen is - why there is a need to 'modify' an image so it refers to his as cunt.

Is it his fault we were prepared to pay £17m for him? No it's not.

Is it his fault he was offered a 4 year contract paying in excess of £100K a week and included helicopter transport to and from the training ground? Well his agent may have pushed for it but someone at NUFC at the time had to agree to the demands so again, the blame is not Owen's.

Is it his fault that he suffered some fucking horrendous injuries which reduced his appearance tally to 79? No it's not

Some will argue that we didn't get our money's worth out of him but one swallow doesn't make a summer. We never invested properly in the team that surrounded him and the support and delivery a player in a style such as his demands was never forthcoming.

At Real Madrid he scored 14 goals in 40 appearances - pretty much a goal every three games - something which at the time I recall was being touted as one of the best scoring averages in the entire La Liga.

With us he netted 30 goals in those 79 games - a better return wouldn't you say? Despite the shite he was playing amongst.

Who's fault is it that his contract was allowed to run down? Well I think we can firmly lay the blame for that one at the door of the Ashley administration. KK said as much this time last year when he said the most important signing of last summer would be Michael Owen. He was desperate to get him a new contract, Ashley didn't want to know. Criminal..

Can you blame him for signing for Manchester United? Really?? The bloke has no affinity with Newcastle - he ISN'T Shearer and despite many of you claiming you understand and / or appreciate that, what you say often suggests you don't. He's no more Newcastle than Andy Cole was (another player who jumped to OT at the drop of a hat). He's pushing 30 and been offered the chance to play for the Champions of England and possibly challenge for a Champions League medal - of course he's going to take it.

Any animosity born out of this whole sorry affair should be directed at the board of directors, both past and present, of Newcastle United Football Club.

Shepherd's board are responsible for signing him on such a ridiculous salary package

Ashley's board are responsible for failing to re-negotiate the contract at all - if KK is to be believed, negotiations barely took place

Both boards are ultimately responsible for the fact that the team his abilities needed was never built around him.

The vitriol aimed towards him borders on obsessive and in the case of some (the NUFC.COM boys included) goes way beyond it. He owes us fuck all - was paid what the club thought he deserved (how this can be his fault is lost on me - I know if my employers agreed to pay me a huge retainer that I felt was beyond what it should be I'd rip their fucking hands off and so would the rest of you.

The saddest point of all is that we had the equivalent of Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Greaves, Kevin Keegan or Gary Lineker of his generation on our books and we failed to provide a team to be able to get the best out of him.

All a bit gutting really.

Eggs fucking zactly.

Peter Beardsley ;)

Take it that was unknown to you then? :lol:

Was on Manchester United's books between September 1982 and March 1983. Only ever played one game for them in the league cup.

Pedro is the only player to play for both Liverpool clubs and both Manchester clubs (he went on loan to Citeh from Bolton in 1998).

Thank god he didn't play for both North East clubs though ;)