Owen

The Fish

Can't say he wasn't given enough warning like..... :lol:

Capello's Owen Rap For Fergie

Fabio Capello has blamed Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson for Michael Owen's England wilderness.

Three Lions boss Capello said "Owen is a player I follow. I saw the last game he played on television and he scored three goals in the Champions League but the next game he did not play."

"I ask myself why? Why Rooney plays always and Owen not? He is an important England player."

Owen, 30, hit his hat-trick against Wolfsburg last week but found himself on the bench against Villa on Saturday and played only 15 minutes as sub last night.

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...for-Fergie.html

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just find it amusing if englands michael owen didn't get into the world cup squad

If he'd used his fuckin brain and signed for Villa he'd be going (if fit). O'Neil said last week he was gutted he didnt get him.

But no Owen thought of the champions league and not the world cup (playing with Heskey every week would've helped as well) and went to a club where he was told he'd be on the bench more often than not. Silly cunt, its his own fault if he doesnt make it.

I'd just find it amusing if englands michael owen didn't get into the world cup squad

If he'd used his fuckin brain and signed for Villa he'd be going (if fit). O'Neil said last week he was gutted he didnt get him.

But no Owen thought of the champions league and not the world cup (playing with Heskey every week would've helped as well) and went to a club where he was told he'd be on the bench more often than not. Silly cunt, its his own fault if he doesnt make it.

No guarantee he would be playing first team football for Villa either.

No guarantee he would be playing first team football for Villa either.

If he played week in week out he'd probably be injured for long periods. The Man Utd gig might suit him better in that sense - he might not play often but gets injured less as a result. Like when he moved from Liverpool to Madrid.

Surprised he's not worth a place on England's bench. Then again I don't care whether he plays again for England; we seem to be doing OK without him.

I'd take him to the World Cup simply because apart from Rooney, I think the rest of our strikers would fold in the big games. Still hate the odious little cunt mind.

I would've thought he was worth a place in the squad purely for his big match experience. He's got to offer more on the world stage than Carlton Cole or Agbonlahor.

I'd take him to the World Cup simply because apart from Rooney, I think the rest of our strikers would fold in the big games. Still hate the odious little cunt mind.

I would've thought he was worth a place in the squad purely for his big match experience. He's got to offer more on the world stage than Carlton Cole or Agbonlahor.

Agbonlahor offers pace that Owen no longer has. I'd probably have Agbonlahor in the side ahead off Owen TBH. However with Defoe in the side he has the pace of Agbonlahor so Owen's experience and dare I say finishing could come in handy at some stage. Carlton Cole is a bolter IMO. Darren Bent would be a better inclusion.

Up front I think they should take Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch and one from Owen, Bent and Agbonlahor.

In 2006 they took only Rooney, Owen, Crouch and Walcott. Ridiculous in retrospect in a squad of 23.

Agbonlahor offers pace that Owen no longer has. I'd probably have Agbonlahor in the side ahead off Owen TBH. However with Defoe in the side he has the pace of Agbonlahor so Owen's experience and dare I say finishing could come in handy at some stage. Carlton Cole is a bolter IMO. Darren Bent would be a better inclusion.

Up front I think they should take Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Crouch and one from Owen, Bent and Agbonlahor.

In 2006 they took only Rooney, Owen, Crouch and Walcott. Ridiculous in retrospect in a squad of 23.

i'd be starting rooney and defoe up front too, the goal scoring form defoe is in.

Rooney's our best forward but is Defoe a good partner for him? That would be my concern.

I think you'd be better off having a "big and small" front two.

You can only really have a pair of small pacey/tricky strikers if your midfield is filled with passing gods who can play through balls to them all day long, and England don't have Silva/xavi/iniesta.

Also I'd say that while Torres' movement is top drawer he's more than capable of providing a decent physical presence / target upfront as he's a big lad and he's probably the main reason Spain are now so effective and don't just flatter to deceive like they've done so often in the past. I.e. even players like that sometimes need someone who can play with their back to goal.

Rooney's our best forward but is Defoe a good partner for him? That would be my concern.

I think you'd be better off having a "big and small" front two.

You can only really have a pair of small pacey/tricky strikers if your midfield is filled with passing gods who can play through balls to them all day long, and England don't have Silva/xavi/iniesta.

Also I'd say that while Torres' movement is top drawer he's more than capable of providing a decent physical presence / target upfront as he's a big lad and he's probably the main reason Spain are now so effective and don't just flatter to deceive like they've done so often in the past. I.e. even players like that sometimes need someone who can play with their back to goal.

Ashton would have been the ideal 'big man' to partner Rooney, if it wasn't for that vicious hatchet man Wright-Phillips.

• 2 months later...
Michael Owen not expecting England World Cup call-up

Manchester United striker Michael Owen has all but given up hope of making England's World Cup squad this summer.

Owen, 30, who has scored 40 goals in 89 games for England, last played for the national side in March 2008.

"It's been a long time since I was in the England squad," Owen told BBC Radio 5 live. "You never give up but it's probably a long shot in racing terms."

England boss Fabio Capello has said his players must be first-team regulars but Owen has not held down a United place.

Owen has started only five league games for his club this season following his July move from Newcastle, scoring two goals in the top flight and seven in all competitions.

The former Liverpool forward's most impressive performance this season came in United's 3-1 win over Wolfsburg in the Champions League, when Owen scored a hat-trick, but he was back on the bench for United's next game - the home defeat by Aston Villa.

Capello flew to South Africa on Sunday for Fifa's World Cup pre-tournament workshop in Sun City after watching in-form Fulham striker Bobby Zamora in the London side's 2-1 win over Birmingham City.

England play Egypt at Wembley on 3 March, with Capello set to announce his squad for that friendly this weekend.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson said of Zamora: "I think Capello will have been impressed. I know the fans were chanting his name for England and that was quite right.

"Capello knows football very well and is a person I regard as a friend. I've got every faith in his judgement.

"If he believes Bobby can do a job for him he'll pick him. I'm sure that being the good judge of a player that he is, he'll have gone away realising that in Bobby Fulham have a good player."

Capello has to pick an initial 35-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa by 12 May, with a 1 June cut-off date set by Fifa for teams to name their final 23-man squads.

As well as deciding whether Zamora is worthy of a call-up for the game against Egypt, Capello has to choose whether to pick Wayne Bridge for that friendly at Wembley.

It would raise the prospect of Manchester City full-back Bridge, a direct replacement for the injured Ashley Cole, playing alongside Chelsea defender John Terry.

Terry is alleged to have had an affair with Bridge's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8527408.stm

:(

I said back in July he should have gone to Everton and he'd have got his 1st team football which would have given him a chance.

To give him a bit of slack though, Rooney has been fucking awesome this season - that said, I don't think Berbatov has set the world alight.

Michael Owen not expecting England World Cup call-up

Manchester United striker Michael Owen has all but given up hope of making England's World Cup squad this summer.

Owen, 30, who has scored 40 goals in 89 games for England, last played for the national side in March 2008.

"It's been a long time since I was in the England squad," Owen told BBC Radio 5 live. "You never give up but it's probably a long shot in racing terms."

England boss Fabio Capello has said his players must be first-team regulars but Owen has not held down a United place.

Owen has started only five league games for his club this season following his July move from Newcastle, scoring two goals in the top flight and seven in all competitions.

The former Liverpool forward's most impressive performance this season came in United's 3-1 win over Wolfsburg in the Champions League, when Owen scored a hat-trick, but he was back on the bench for United's next game - the home defeat by Aston Villa.

Capello flew to South Africa on Sunday for Fifa's World Cup pre-tournament workshop in Sun City after watching in-form Fulham striker Bobby Zamora in the London side's 2-1 win over Birmingham City.

England play Egypt at Wembley on 3 March, with Capello set to announce his squad for that friendly this weekend.

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson said of Zamora: "I think Capello will have been impressed. I know the fans were chanting his name for England and that was quite right.

"Capello knows football very well and is a person I regard as a friend. I've got every faith in his judgement.

"If he believes Bobby can do a job for him he'll pick him. I'm sure that being the good judge of a player that he is, he'll have gone away realising that in Bobby Fulham have a good player."

Capello has to pick an initial 35-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa by 12 May, with a 1 June cut-off date set by Fifa for teams to name their final 23-man squads.

As well as deciding whether Zamora is worthy of a call-up for the game against Egypt, Capello has to choose whether to pick Wayne Bridge for that friendly at Wembley.

It would raise the prospect of Manchester City full-back Bridge, a direct replacement for the injured Ashley Cole, playing alongside Chelsea defender John Terry.

Terry is alleged to have had an affair with Bridge's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8527408.stm

:(

Has Terry been alleged to have an affair with Bridge's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel? Owen should keep his nose out tbh, won't help him get in the squad.

he's nowhere near good enough for england now. shame he turned crap while he was with us. we didn't even get more than a handful of decent appearances from him in between all his injuries.

capello called it, fergie got it wrong this time.

fergie got it wrong this time.

Not for the first time that's for sure - Bosnich, Taibi, Blanc, etc...?

There's a lot of mileage in the old "Fergie's never sold a decent player" addage. Maybe not but he sure has signed some utter garbage.