Owen to Hull?

bobbyshinton

Owen hopes for Premier League switch

By Graeme Bailey Last updated: 22nd June 2009

Michael Owen has confirmed to Sky Sports News there is plenty of interest in his signature from both home and abroad.

The Newcastle striker has confirmed that he will not be remaining at St James' Park following their relegation to The Championship.

Owen admits that his preference would be to remain in England this summer when his contract at Newcastle expires, but he refused to rule out a fresh move to the continent.

The England international has already experienced life playing in Europe after spending a season with Real Madrid in 2004.

"It remains to be seen where I am going to go, there are plenty of clubs that would interest me, but we will see where that is, whether it is at home or abroad," he told Sky Sports News.

"There has been a lot of interest from abroad and quite a bit from home as well, but obviously the Premier League is where I feel I belong.

"I played a year out in Spain and enjoyed it at Real Madrid but that confirmed to me that I definitely prefer the Premier League, so if it was to be a good English club, that would be my preference, but I have had a lot of interest from abroad so I wouldn't rule that out.

"I am still contracted to Newcastle for a few weeks, so that is where I am at the minute. I don't think I am going to be re-signing at Newcastle, as one I don't think I am going to be offered a new contract and I want to play in the Premier League or a top division somewhere else."

Hull City are the latest side said to be ready to offer him a contract, but Owen admits he is not aware of the interest from The Tigers at this stage.

"I haven't been made aware of that, it is a new one - but I have been linked with virtually every team in last few weeks," he continued.

"I will sit down but I don't think it is fair to Newcastle at the moment. I had four enjoyable years there, and I am very sorry to leave them when they are going to be in the Championship so I wouldn't like to talk about specific clubs who I am going to join."

Owen admits it has been hard reading a lot of negative press about him over the past 12 months.

"There is a lot said and written about me in last few weeks and not many nice things, but that is life!" he said.

"I have got skin thicker than 99.9 per cent of the population. I get used to it - people write you off but when I scored a goal in the World Cup at 18, people were writing me off six months later. Then I was scoring a hat-trick in Germany and winning trophies with Liverpool and then they write you off again.

"Somebody will always criticise you no matter what, so if you let that affect you, I wouldn't be where I am today.

"Yes I prefer people to say nice things about me as it is not as if I have murdered someone, but you get more criticism as a footballer and you have to be thick skinned."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still all about superstar Michael Owen. The sooner he pisses off and distracts some other club with his self absorbed bullshit, the better. He's an ex-player from 1 July and we've more important things to worry about.

From .com:

Feel free to take your gissa job brochure, your helicopter, your equine fixation and your miserable face to anywhere daft enough to employ you. We're already looking forward to your duet on the KC Stadium pitch with Phil Brown...

Don't think that this criticism has anything to do with your fading talents as a footballer though - no, our beef with you remains the four years-worth of utter contempt shown to the people who bought the shirts, seats and subscriptions that funded your lavish lifestyle. 

At least people like Joey Barton go through the motions of badge-kissing and patronising the punters. You couldn't even be bothered to do that, spending your time on Tyneside with a face like a smacked arse, interspersed with brief interludes of sucking lemons.  

Your skin may be thick but it'll never be as thick as your wallet. Don't feel bad about us though - we'd have only blown the tens of millions of pounds that went into your offshore accounts on other ungrateful pillocks. 

No shame, no guts, no soul, but a bulging portfolio. Role model? my arse. You put the con in Icon.

Biffa and Niall have really become some miserable sods in the last couple of years. Owen wasn't worth his money in the end and we are better off without him, but this criticism is way over the top and just sounds like sour grapes. I'd expected more of them tbh.

Biffa and Niall have really become some miserable sods in the last couple of years. Owen wasn't worth his money in the end and we are better off without him, but this criticism is way over the top and just sounds like sour grapes. I'd expected more of them tbh.

I know what you mean. I looked at their criticism of Owen and I thought, well he's no different to the rest of the mercenaries really.

I know what you mean. I looked at their criticism of Owen and I thought, well he's no different to the rest of the mercenaries really.

Owen was doing all right in interviews he gave (which were very few), he even was statistically doing all right on the pitch. What wasn't alright was that he didn't get the necessary goals in the important matches, something you can and should expect from someone with his status and experience. He just wasn't worth his ridiculous 100k wages a week, but that was his only problem during his time at Newcastle so far as I'm concerned.

Owen was doing all right in interviews he gave (which were very few), he even was statistically doing all right on the pitch. What wasn't alright was that he didn't get the necessary goals in the important matches, something you can and should expect from someone with his status and experience. He just wasn't worth his ridiculous 100k wages a week, but that was his only problem during his time at Newcastle so far as I'm concerned.

That chance against James in the Pompey match summed it up for me.

That chance against James in the Pompey match summed it up for me.

Maybe a confidence thing. Still not excusable, but so are Martins' misses against Spurs and Aston Villa...

but that was his only problem during his time at Newcastle so far as I'm concerned.

I really went off him when he turned out for England v Sweden in 2006 and did his knee. He freely admits he wasn't fully fit and yet he still turned out notwithstanding he'd been out for ages before that with his metatarsal. He was never the same player afterwards and to me that episode illustrated how little he thought of NUFC. I don't blame him for wanting to play for his country but he must have known the risks he was taking when he wasn't fit. England's Michael Owen.

If martins was worth 60k a week, geremi 60k and viduka 60k then Owen was worth 100K. It's all relative. Throw in the argies, smith, barton ........None of the cunts were worth it in the end. Owen just happened to be worth it when we signed him.

If martins was worth 60k a week, geremi 60k and viduka 60k then Owen was worth 100K. It's all relative. Throw in the argies, smith, barton ........None of the cunts were worth it in the end. Owen just happened to be worth it when we signed him.

Well you can only say with hindsight it was a lousy signing. It was those serious injuries (foot/knee) that did for him, if he hadn't had those he would still have got injured imo but with the sort of muscle niggles Martins gets. The sad thing is that he's sucked away huge amounts of money on transfer fees and wages that could have been used to strengthen the team. Still, that's not his fault, and we'd have probably wasted the money on more JFK "bargains" anyway.

At least people like Joey Barton go through the motions of badge-kissing and patronising the punters. You couldn't even be bothered to do that, spending your time on Tyneside with a face like a smacked arse, interspersed with brief interludes of sucking lemons.  

:icon_lol:

That's wank.

I see. He should have been spouting bollocks and grinning like a Cheshire cat as he spent 2 years injured and 2 years fighting relegation...single handedly staving it off first time around to no fanfare whatsoever.

Then he would have been an honorary Geordie like Joey Barton who gets his name chanted for getting sent off against Liverpool.

Fucking embarrassing.

I actually think people like Martins and Barton took the piss even more than Owen with their fake as fuck love for the fans, club, etc.

.com is wank now as well btw. Has been for ages as well. They've replaced any inside track on stuff they once had with bitter soopafan bollocks.

I really went off him when he turned out for England v Sweden in 2006 and did his knee.

Same here - as far as I can see he dliberately took it easy coming back for us so he'd be fresh for the world cup - I know it ultimately cost us as well but I can't help feeling his knee injury was karma.

When I read the .com stuff I thought it was a bit strong but apart from fully siding with Gemmill on the Owen/Martins war, I think the criticism is justified - I think his obvious "I wish I wasn't here" is the crux of the matter.

I actually think people like Martins and Barton took the piss even more than Owen with their fake as fuck love for the fans, club, etc.

.com is wank now as well btw. Has been for ages as well. They've replaced any inside track on stuff they once had with bitter soopafan bollocks.

I agree with that. I barely even look at these days.

Owen never *wanted* to play for us anyway despite getting paid handsomely. I'm half wondering if the decline in his football ability is actually down to a complete lack of effort or the injuries.

I agree with that. I barely even look at these days.

Owen never *wanted* to play for us anyway despite getting paid handsomely. I'm half wondering if the decline in his football ability is actually down to a complete lack of effort or the injuries.

Or option C. The creative talent of Butt, Guthrie, Duff and Guttierez.

i dont *want* to do my job, however if im not perfoming as expected i will get told as much and expected to put in more effort, not sit around raking in the cash and looking pissed off at `having` to do so.

He should have done his talking on the pitch when not injured and been a spokesperson and advocate of the club when injured, yet he hasnt.

whether you like .com or not i think they have it spot on - and yes what they say applies to the rest of the sorry twunts who have done feck all to stop the rot.

close the door on your way out.

So 24 weeks since Michael(I can guarantee one thing- I will score goals)Owen managed to actually score a goal for us.

By my reckoning he's trousered a cool 3 million for his efforts since then.

Nice to know he is only a couple of days away from collecting his loyalty bonus - good luck to his next sugar daddy

Just read his 'brochure'...

'Good Looking' as a brand value? WTF has that got to do with it? Dirk Kuyt looks like a fucking mong but at least he had a better season last year.