The Guitar Thread

Tom

Bought myself an old Technics Organ. :lol:

Just something to mess around on - though I'm going to see what it sounds like too. I've got my eye on a Hammond but I'm trying to find out if they've made a lesley speaker smaller than a house yet - Although I do know the location of one I could get cheap it's far too big.

Here's Jack White's for example -

R600_White_Stripes_A100_3300.jpg

and that's about the smallest I've seen.

(Depending on whether it's wood or a veneer I might give mine a paint job too)

• 1 month later...

Over the moon with this so far. I've only had a quick blast on it but so far it's very nice. The construction & finish are flawless, it's not too heavy - about the same as a strat but everything feels heavy after playing the thinline telecaster for a few months.

The combination of mahogany (body) and rosewood (neck) give the guitar a nice natural sustain which is enhanced by the P90 pickups which wail - and I haven't had it through a proper drive pedal yet. First guitar I've bought with P90s but it's certainly not the last.

The neck is lovely and the scale is short - which is weird because the body on a Jaguar always feels massive. It's a nice guitar to have.

I bought it to sell after seeing it criminally under priced on gumtree. It's evidently brand new & has never been played - perhaps once or twice but no more. So I got it boxed and 'new' for £180 which is fucking unreal. You can't even get a Squire Jaguar for under £250 and although these models are selling reasonably cheap now it's a discontinued style of Jaguar - which means I can probably double my money in 6 months.

However it's fucking class so I'm keeping it. Literally couldn't pass it up.

Okay so I'm hear now.

As nice as your guitar might be, it is not a "proper" Jag.

Why I hear you ask?

Well Tom the thing that makes a Jag and a Jazzmaster for that matter is the bridge and tremolo and the "ringing" associated with it.

Plus your's has P-90s where a Jag should have craw single coils.

This is what a Jag should look like, well without the WRHB in the bridge pickup.

blondejag_zps9a2a50d3.jpg

I know I'm being a pedant.

Btw you been over to offsetguitars.com?

Hey if you're open to organ suggestions, and no not in a smooth operator kind of way, keep an eye out for either a Vox Jaguar or Vox Continental. If you find one cheap grab it.

Yeah - Guess it isn't a proper Jag, but I've tried two previous to this -

One was a bizarre duel HB job with mirror hardware & scratch plate - for some reason it felt like the biggest guitar I've ever played, I've a suspicion it was a baritone but I can't be sure as I'd had at least 10 pints. It was a Fender - expensive apparently.

The second was your standard sunburst job - old style bridge, all the bells and whistles - I tried two and the strings kept slipping off the bridge. I always wanted a Jag after seeing a candy apple red one in EBGB's (RIP) in Durham. He had the same one in for years - a Jap guitar, aesthetically perfect- but I never dared ask to try it as a kid. So that was always in my head - even the headstock was Candy Apple ffs!

But yeah this one was an opportunist purchase - bought to sell but I've kept it. If anything it sounds more like a Les Paul junior - mahogany body, P90s, it makes sense. I do like it though, strangely good for slide guitar but for £180 - I was laughing all the way home.

I'm quite enjoying my organ - though my hands have been hurting from playing it quite a bit. The last piano style thing I owned was a synth which did a lot of the work for you, I've started out learning songs by chord and a lot of the time the lead just appears in the chord shapes or not far off, So it sounds pretty cool. It has some sweet sounds - it only cost £10 but as a learning tool it's been great. Shame I didn't pick up the Hammond some bloke was selling up the road really!

Can play a few things now and I have a good enough understanding just to jam a bit and it's not guesswork.

(Last song I learned was Christmas Card from a hooker in Minneapolis)

• 1 month later...

Best Geetar shop in town ???

I'm assuming Windows ??

Am toying with the idea of getting a Telecaster, just wanna try before I buy (well wor lass buys me it for Christmas)

Any recommendations gratefully received.

• 1 month later...

Aye :lol:

I read a review -

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/squier-vintage-modified-cabronita-telecaster-w-bigsby-589164

and watched some videos.

and already own one very similar -

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/26114-the-guitar-thread/?p=1264632

So I know it's going to be good but the pickup combo/trem bar would cost £150 by themselves so it worked out a bit of a no brainer really :lol:

But I'm happy with 36 minutes aye.

• 4 weeks later...

:lol: Must look like you're in immense pain at all times.

On a side note. Has anyone used Rocksmith? It's quite a fun little game. Especially since you can download pretty much any song you like to play along with in the game. Has got me back into playing again after a few years break.

• 1 month later...

Watching Joe Bonamassa concerts on Palladia right now, makes me want to go buy that beautiful ocean blue Les Paul with the nice wood grain at the local shop.

Went to see him at the hammersmith Apollo on Thursday. Great show, he had a lass come out with him for the encore who was are but I couldn't make out her name at the end.

Went to see him at the hammersmith Apollo on Thursday. Great show, he had a lass come out with him for the encore who was are but I couldn't make out her name at the end.

He's done a couple shows with some blues singer, can't remember her name. Supposedly touring here in a few months. Will have to be on the lookout for dates. He's impressive.

He's done a couple shows with some blues singer, can't remember her name. Supposedly touring here in a few months. Will have to be on the lookout for dates. He's impressive.

Beth Hart? wasn't her, this lass was on the guitar

Was it a blonde lass? Chantel McGregor I reckon. I think she's played with him before a couple of times.Seen her play with him at Leeds Cockpit in 2008 - which was an amazing gig but she was fairly artless at the time but that can be excused given the circumstances I suppose.

but that said I seen her at Durham Blues and she was pretty poor too, just shredding without any blues, but you get that at little festivals where most artists profess to be blues but sound like Bon Jovi. :up:

Would love to see Bonamassa again soon as there's really not a better live act for guitar but I just looked at the prices for his arena gig and it's £75 a ticket. Seen him for £10 at Shields Customs house :lol: