What are you drinking?

Guest alex

There's no such thing as Santa Barbra Chablis. It's a town in France and an AOC meaning only wine made in that town is allowed to use the name. It is confusing wine terminology tbf.

I meant to say their Chardonnay is awful, not their Chablis, mainly because its oaked and I find oaked white wine rank. Obviously there was no Chablis on a tour of Santa barber county vineyards.

Most American Chardonnay is rank. They love their oaky, buttery, tropical fruit laden whites over there - vile.

Their Pinot noir on the other hand is delicious. Some of the Grenache was lovely too

Edited by Dr Gloom

Sicily produces more wine than Australia. There's a conversation starter for your next party, Fish.

29 glasses of Australian wine are drunk in the UK, every second.

Back atcha big guy.

Riesling is my favourite white. But it has to be the dry, minerally variety.

Unoaked Chardonnay is lush as is Chablis.

Agree with both comments.

I miss my days of wine school. :( I should really get back into it.

Only applies in the EU though.

They stopped doing that a long time ago. They are much more sophisticated nowadays.

California has some amazing white wines but i cant get on with their reds unless they are stupidly expensive. Me and a colleague were in a wine bar in San Francisco about 4 years ago and this bloke sits down next to us. My mate says 'have you seen his watch, must be worth 100k'. He then orders a bottle of Rombauer, which was about $40 on the menu.

We thought good enough for him, good enough for us. Superb stuff, from Carneros which is between Sonoma and Napa Valley.

They stopped doing that a long time ago. They are much more sophisticated nowadays.

California has some amazing white wines but i cant get on with their reds unless they are stupidly expensive. Me and a colleague were in a wine bar in San Francisco about 4 years ago and this bloke sits down next to us. My mate says 'have you seen his watch, must be worth 100k'. He then orders a bottle of Rombauer, which was about $40 on the menu.

We thought good enough for him, good enough for us. Superb stuff, from Carneros which is between Sonoma and Napa Valley.

Ah, right. Haven't been to America for years but remember seeing 'Chablis', 'Champagne' and the like on labels over there when it was actually mass produced Californian stuff. Cool story btw

Ah, right. Haven't been to America for years but remember seeing 'Chablis', 'Champagne' and the like on labels over there when it was actually mass produced Californian stuff. Cool story btw

:lol: One of my best anecdotes that, been desperate to slip it into a conversation.