What are you drinking?

Guest alex

I don't deny it might be a good brandy but the way you put it forward was well hipster wanky. "Actually I think you will find the little known drink from the arse end of buck tooth to be a far superior quality and enjoyed by all the cognoscenti"

Winston Churchill was a fan, wasn't he? Him being a well-known hipster and all that.

@@Tooj Spanish Brandy is really good value and a very nice tipple but, on the whole a bit less complex than a lot of Cognac, Armagnac etc. A young Spanish brandy for about 12-15 quid a bottle is often a more pleasant drink than a VS Cognac for a similar price (probably more though). Once you have a nice VSOP or XO and then go back to a young Spanish one straight after you'll find the latter seems like it has very little taste or body. Btw, they've got Osbourne 103 in Aldi atm for £12 and that's spot on imo

I don't deny it might be a good brandy but the way you put it forward was well hipster wanky. "Actually I think you will find the little known drink from the arse end of buck tooth to be a far superior quality and enjoyed by all the cognoscenti"

You really are cheerful fellow, aren't you? Did we get out of the wrong side of bed today? Have you ever tried Armenian Cognac?

Love that scene in Only Fools and Horses where they're at the conman's house (it's the episode where the same bloke gets carted away in a fake ambulance with chest pains). He asks Del if he wants a drink. His response is 'Brandy'. The bloke says: 'Armagnac ok?' Del says: 'Alright then, if you haven't got a brandy'.

:lol:

Edited by Alex

• 4 weeks later...

If red wine tasted like variants of Ribena, the world would be a much better place.

Won a bottle of this in a raffle a few weeks back. Instantly consigned it to the back of the cupboard in preparation for the kids to take in on a teachers present day or similar. Desperation struck one night and I was surprised how drinkable it was.

You would probably love it, but alas your snobbery would get in the way of a purchase ;)

f473fc2d6ea820a77b288e119c2947f1.jpg

The bairns dad text me earlier to say he'd found a bottle of red wine in the back of a cupboard that I'd bought at a cellar door in Calitzdorp, South Africa. Nice little 8yr old shiraz that I'd forgotten about coming my way tomorrow!

I reckon if I was an alcoholic I'd probably have remembered it was there before I moved out 3yrs ago ;)

Actually, thinking back, there was a dodgy bottle of Baileys in the back of that cupboard too. I really hope he's thrown it away....

"Now all week, Friday was referred to as "The Day We Drive to Cape Town" and was looked upon with an element of dread. Not only did it mean that the adventure was coming to an end but it was a 400km journey on a coach through valleys and mountain passes and we'd been told it would take us all day.

So how do you make the journey more exciting and enjoyable? Well.... you could make an impromptu stop at the Boplaas vineyard and wine cellar in Calitzdorp for a bit of wine-tasting. It is, after all, the port wine capital of South Africa and has been exporting it's award-winning brandy to London since the 1800's. Oh, and did I mention that this impromptu visit took place at 8.55am?! My parents woud be so proud! The shiraz and pinotage were particularly good if I may say so.

240776_11947036404776_bigthumb.jpg
Pretty views

OH, and then we stopped at Barrydale for coffee around 10'ish and were encouraged to try a shot of the locally produced moonshine known as Vitblitz. Coffee, cheesecake and tequila slammers - what a morning!"

Happy days :D I'm now going to stay up far too late re-reading this....