What are you drinking?

Guest alex

It's shit being a non drinker on a night out. You go to Tyneside Cinema and they have about 15 varieties of traditional soft drink to pick from. Gan to a 'bar' and its lemonade or rola cola out of the pump

Here's a little tip. When I worked at a certain local brewery, I'd take an empty can of coke in with my bait. I'd then take a bottle of Broon up to the bait room kitchen, fill a mug with the Broon ale then sit in plain sight with my mug of broon ale with the empty can strategically placed near the cup with a bit of broon ale round the rim of the can of coke to make it look freshly poured pop instead of an actual 'icer' as we called them*. You could sneak a bottle of any of your carefully selected 15 varieties of soft drink into a bar, take an empty can of stella and do the reverse and still keep your cool credentials. :good:

*Most times I just necked the bottle out of the way like everybody else, though.

Here's a little tip. When I worked at a certain local brewery, I'd take an empty can of coke in with my bait. I'd then take a bottle of Broon up to the bait room kitchen, fill a mug with the Broon ale then sit in plain sight with my mug of broon ale with the empty can strategically placed near the cup with a bit of broon ale round the rim of the can of coke to make it look freshly poured pop instead of an actual 'icer' as we called them*. You could sneak a bottle of any of your carefully selected 15 varieties of soft drink into a bar, take an empty can of stella and do the reverse and still keep your cool credentials. :good:

*Most times I just necked the bottle out of the way like everybody else, though.

I don't need to pretend I'm drinking alcohol to be cool ;)

What's the deal with white jeans and wicker sandals btw. Must be de rigueur these days

I don't need to pretend I'm drinking alcohol to be cool ;)

What's the deal with white jeans and wicker sandals btw. Must be de rigueur these days

Is that really a thing? The white jeans thing. What is wrong with men today ffs. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Merlot and Chardonnay are types of grapes. Chablis is an AOC and a village in the north of Bourgogne and the grape that grows there is Chardonnay. It tends to be unoaked and is therefore acidic and fresh rather than fruity and oaked. The top Chablis does get some oak treatment but it's usually fermented in steel vats which allows it to retain a mineral taste. It's by far my favourite white wine. The Grand Crus are very reasonable at around 50 a bottle, I have 6 ageing until 2017-2020.

Don't know much about Aus wine but that Wolf Blass is oaked and fruity which is a different style to a Chablis.

New World Chardonnay bears little resemblance to Chablis. Interesting to make the comparison though. But, I don't tend to like New World Chardonnays whereas I do like Chablis.

Edited by Alex

Riesling is my favourite white. But it has to be the dry, minerally variety.

Unoaked Chardonnay is lush as is Chablis. I did a wine tasting tour of the Santa Barbara county vineyards a few years backs. The pinto noir or there is superb, their Chablis less so.

There's no such thing as Santa Barbra Chablis. It's a town in France and an AOC meaning only wine made in that town is allowed to use the name. It is confusing wine terminology tbf.

Only applies in the EU though.

Mrs Watson is a saint and I'll not hear a bad word, nor any tawdry suggestions about her. She's like a mother from an Enid Blyton book and you'd all be ashamed of your behaviour if you met her.