Liverpool up for sale

Sonatine

......... and I think that any owner, who knows the game in this country, would look beyond Liverpools trophy winning years and realise that buying Newcastle would be by far the better buy.

We'll see I suppose. I don't think either of them are good buys at the price they'll both probably cost at the minute though to be perfectly honest. The Liverpool price being quoted is insane mind.

potentially the 2nd biggest club in the country, maybe even the biggest as witnessed by the KK era - when half the city wanted to go to games never mind all the millions of global gloryseekers who latch onto you when you are successful - at what price compared to the other clubs ? A one club football mad city, the only major city with only one club. If I were somene wanting to buy a football club, there is only one club that I would buy.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......... and I think that any owner, who knows the game in this country, would look beyond Liverpools trophy winning years and realise that buying Newcastle would be by far the better buy.

We'll see I suppose. I don't think either of them are good buys at the price they'll both probably cost at the minute though to be perfectly honest. The Liverpool price being quoted is insane mind.

potentially the 2nd biggest club in the country, maybe even the biggest as witnessed by the KK era - when half the city wanted to go to games never mind all the millions of global gloryseekers who latch onto you when you are successful - at what price compared to the other clubs ? A one club football mad city, the only major city with only one club. If I were somene wanting to buy a football club, there is only one club that I would buy.

Aye, but you're biased ;)

of course, but I'm also right <_<

of course, but I'm also right <_<

I agree about our potential btw but I think Liverpool have a far bigger world wide profile which is what the PL is all about now, unfortunately. Anyway, see who has more interest.

"now claim themselves to be the second city of the UK."

the critical word here is "themselves"

every one else knows its a dump

and I was there in February............. this year (unfortunately)

It's definitely not the UK's second city (that would be Manchester now imo) but the centre is no way a dump either, so it's not 'every one else' is it?

The one thing that grabs me about both LFC and MUFC when I go and see them away (always stay overnight), is the huge number of Irish and Scandinavian supporters they both have. In theory, it would be easier for them (Scandinavians at least) to support Newcastle mind. But would we want that?

Edited by Renton

It's definitely not the UK's second city (that would be Manchester now imo) but the centre is no way a dump either, so it's not 'every one else' is it?

The one thing that grabs me about both LFC and MUFC when I go and see them away (always stay overnight), is the huge number of Irish and Scandinavian supporters they both have. In theory, it would be easier for them (Scandinavians at least) to support Newcastle mind. But would we want that?

I was referring to Manchester with the second city quote Renton.

The two owners of LFC have had offers already that they've turned down.

Sheik Mohammed had 500 million on the table for quite a while before the crunch and only recently Gilett was apparently offered 450 million which he firstly accepted and then reneged on so it's anyones guess how much they'll eventually get, or if they want to sell at all in the present financial climate.

As for the attractiveness of each club, take away the history and just looking at the two clubs as they stand it would depend on what the buyer is looking for. Newcastle have a great ground but with the listed houses down one side there isn't much scope for improvement to the overall look, though it does look ok as it is. A new build gives the owners more scope to place their own personality on it and also more room for the hated corporate boxes. It's all down to money and how much they'd be willing to spend, and if a new ground is the choice, how long they'd be willing to wait for a return on their investment.

Must have had your fucking eyes shut then ;)

All seeing, all knowing, everlasting ................

A dump it was and a dump it is.........................

With you 100% a total fucking dump full of deluded arseholes who all think they have a great sense of humour and are distant relatives of the Beatles if they dropped a bomb on the place it would be doing it a favour. The only good thing to come out of Liverpool was The Beatles and they fucked off never to return as soon as they got a bit of money.

Guest Barrack Road

Must have had your fucking eyes shut then ;)

I've never seen Liverpool One granted, but what I have seen of the City Centre, it's only marginally better than Birmingham. It's juist dirty, buildings where they shouldn't be, boarded up windows, neglected structures. I'm trying to be balanced here as well. It's one big Scochee (circa 1985). I wouldn't even comment about that, I don't comment on somewhere like Hull being shit, the reason I comment is scousers genuinely believe, like GENUINELY they are great people who live in some Utopian haven. They have an unbelievably deluded sense of their place in the world which goes well past arrogance, and that is the core of the true hilarity of scousers. It's just unfathomable, it may have something to do with the success of the football club since the 60's and of course The Beatles and Titanic putting them on the map too. Makes you laugh though. I can say with sincerity, geordies are not hated in the south, some laugh at us but most of the less ignorant people ackowledge we're ok, but they all fucking hate scousers.

Edited by Barrack Road

Must have had your fucking eyes shut then <_<

I've never seen Liverpool One granted, but what I have seen of the City Centre, it's only marginally better than Birmingham. It's juist dirty, buildings where they shouldn't be, boarded up windows, neglected structures. I'm trying to be balanced here as well. It's one big Scochee (circa 1985). I wouldn't even comment about that, I don't comment on somewhere like Hull being shit, the reason I comment is scousers genuinely believe, like GENUINELY they are great people who live in some Utopian haven. They have an unbelievably deluded sense of their place in the world which goes well past arrogance, and that is the core of the true hilarity of scousers. It's just unfathomable, it may have something to do with the success of the football club since the 60's and of course The Beatles and Titanic putting them on the map too. Makes you laugh though. I can say with sincerity, geordies are not hated in the south, some laugh at us but most of the less ignorant people ackowledge we're ok, but they all fucking hate scousers.

The Titanic? Wasn't that built in Belfast and set sail in Southampton? It may have been registered in Liverpool but I can honestly say in 5 years of living there I never once heard people say there was a connection.

You're not being balanced about the city centre Stevie, you won't find a boarded up wndow there. You've got a point about scousers thinking they are God's gift to the World but coming from you and your viewpoint on Geordies this seems a bit ironic. I've no idea on the opinions of Southerners to Geordies and Scousers in the South but why would you honestly give a fuck?

Rob, Liverpool was once the most prosperous city in the UK outside London - was it a dump then too relative to other cities?

Yes, I know I'm biting in a Liverpool thread again. ;)

Guest Barrack Road

The Titanic? Wasn't that built in Belfast and set sail in Southampton? It may have been registered in Liverpool but I can honestly say in 5 years of living there I never once heard people say there was a connection.

You're not being balanced about the city centre Stevie, you won't find a boarded up wndow there. You've got a point about scousers thinking they are God's gift to the World but coming from you and your viewpoint on Geordies this seems a bit ironic. I've no idea on the opinions of Southerners to Geordies and Scousers in the South but why would you honestly give a fuck?

Rob, Liverpool was once the most prosperous city in the UK outside London - was it a dump then too relative to other cities?

As I work there and spend a lot of time there, I'm just demonstrating an unbiased view. Liverpool's wealth came from the slave trade mainly and being a major port later. Like a say dirty to it's foundations, a stained past.

Edited by Barrack Road

As I work there and spend a lot of time there, I'm just demonstrating an unbiased view. Liverpool's wealth came from the slave trade mainly and being a major port later. Like a say dirty to it's foundations, a stained past.

Anyway, when I lived there Geordies and Scousers got on really well, including at matches. There seems to be a big feeling of ill will, on this board at least, now though, I don't get it myself. I still enjoy visiting Liverpool and Manchester though and can always guarantee good chats with the locals unlike at any London club or the likes of Villa.

Guest Barrack Road

Anyway, when I lived there Geordies and Scousers got on really well, including at matches. There seems to be a big feeling of ill will, on this board at least, now though, I don't get it myself. I still enjoy visiting Liverpool and Manchester though and can always guarantee good chats with the locals unlike at any London club or the likes of Villa.

You talk such utter shit. This good relationship is so good we are one of three clubs including Man Utd who are banned from "The Arkles" forever. I've had many, many good conversations with home fans at London aways. The last game I remember when there was any mutual respect shown was the 5th Anniversary of Hillsborough, it's been downhill since then, mainly cos of their attitude towards us and seeing us intermittently as a threat in my view.

You talk such utter shit. This good relationship is so good we are one of three clubs including Man Utd who are banned from "The Arkles" forever. I've had many, many good conversations with home fans at London aways. The last game I remember when there was any mutual respect shown was the 5th Anniversary of Hillsborough, it's been downhill since then, mainly cos of their attitude towards us and seeing us intermittently as a threat in my view.

We were banned from the Arkle as recently as a few years ago because some of our idiots smashed the place up? That's what I heard anyway. Tbf I've never had the opportunity to speak to home fans at London games but the Chelsea fans after our semi-final stuck me as utter wankers. Whatever, I just think its a bit of a shame.

If we were playing Liverpool on the last day of a season where they won no trophies and didnt qualify for Europe would we make a banner to take the piss out of them? I'd laugh of course but lets not get carried away whilst enjoying it, otherwise we'll end up looking like boring brummie mugs with an inferiority complex.

I would be the first to admit that despite my feelings on this subject, I've always found that there is a natural affinity between Geordies and Scousers - doesn't mean I like or trust them but it exists.

Never had a problem with "proper" fans of any club though - including Londoners.

Speaking as an outsider, between Liverpool and you, I'd buy you guys for the following reason:

1. Fewer debts to pay off, and only one owner to buy out.

2. I'll be a hero for ousting Ashley.

3. It'll be easier to improve the squad.

4. Stadium is bigger and usually full.

5. Because you have just been promoted, there will be more space to install a long term plan

6. I don't have to deal with a shit manager on a daft wage.

7. There is one team in the city, and there is only 1 other team in the area that is of a similar size.

Of course, I'll make it clear I won't stoke expectations and demand Europe in 1 or 2 seasons, I'll be a very long term kind of owner.

Liverpool are a spent force unless they get someone like Sheikh Mansour at Man City to spend billions and get rid of Rafa. You however, have potential because the debts are smaller, the stadium is pretty much sorted, and the club has further to go to the top.

Of course, I'll make it clear I won't stoke expectations and demand Europe in 1 or 2 seasons, I'll be a very long term kind of owner.

That's a relief. You really had me worried there.

Guest Barrack Road

37,000 last night for them, wank support, worst supporters in England in my view, no passion, least loyal, just total wanks and the media will stills upport the myth they're up there with the best fans in the world.

37,000 last night for them, wank support, worst supporters in England in my view, no passion, least loyal, just total wanks and the media will stills upport the myth they're up there with the best fans in the world.

Tbf though it would've been a nightmare for home fans making the trip from Norway. ;)

Is it just Liverpool fans you have a problem with or does your xenophobia stretch to all fans who aren’t Newcastle fans?

Our foreign fans wouldn’t have been able to get there last night, so what?

West Ham only brought half their quota and many LFC fans started off for Madrid yesterday morning if that helps.

I wouldn’t mind the attendance staying at 37,000 for a season or two, it would mean that all the locals who aren’t prepared to spend hours on the phone trying to get a ticket for their home town team would be able to go to as many matches as they want.. One of my mates who isn’t an STH has to pay 30 quid to be a member of the PTS scheme, which allows him to spend anything between 30 minutes and two hours on the phone applying for a ticket. It wouldn’t be so bad if being a member allowed you to drop in to the TO and buy a ticket from there but there are no window sales anymore.

Don't all fans think they're the best in the world? Your view is so full of bile it ceases to have any real meaning.

Guest Barrack Road

Is it just Liverpool fans you have a problem with or does your xenophobia stretch to all fans who aren’t Newcastle fans?

Our foreign fans wouldn’t have been able to get there last night, so what?

West Ham only brought half their quota and many LFC fans started off for Madrid yesterday morning if that helps.

I wouldn’t mind the attendance staying at 37,000 for a season or two, it would mean that all the locals who aren’t prepared to spend hours on the phone trying to get a ticket for their home town team would be able to go to as many matches as they want.. One of my mates who isn’t an STH has to pay 30 quid to be a member of the PTS scheme, which allows him to spend anything between 30 minutes and two hours on the phone applying for a ticket. It wouldn’t be so bad if being a member allowed you to drop in to the TO and buy a ticket from there but there are no window sales anymore.

Don't all fans think they're the best in the world? Your view is so full of bile it ceases to have any real meaning.

Unbelievable excuses there. If you had a proper local fanbase you would've had a gate better than our worst in the Championship this season, but you don't so you didn't. Unreal you can't fill a little ground like that in the Premiership imo.