What mood are you in and why?

catmag

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

That is actually bollocks. I've only got a Ford Focus but it works with Android Auto - initially wired, but now wirelessly too, and no cost.

Basically your phone but looking fancy on the car screen.

Urgh, this sounds like some horrible shitty workaround I just can't be arsed with. I'm not even going to try to bypass the propietary Audi software, I find it hard enough to use as it is. 

It's fucking great man, you get in the car, start it, and Android Auto is on your screen. Big Google maps, then you can access all your music, podcast, audible, etc all on the screen.

It's formatted properly, like it's an entirely different experience - they're not just showing you your phone in landscape or something.

It's way better than whatever your car comes shipped with cos it's Google.

Just as I'm sure Apple Play is better than the stock car offering too.

• Like 1

The previous car I have had Apple Car Play which I thought was going to be some gimmick. It's now a mandatory requirement for any car for me from now on and suffice to say my current one has it too. It's a complete game changer.

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's fucking great man, you get in the car, start it, and Android Auto is on your screen. Big Google maps, then you can access all your music, podcast, audible, etc all on the screen.

It's formatted properly, like it's an entirely different experience - they're not just showing you your phone in landscape or something.

With all due respect, you're coming from the perspective of have a 10 years old 0.7 litre Ford Focus. I am using a 3 year old 1.8 litre FUCKING AUDI. My expectations are way higher than yours. ;)

No but genuinely, don't understand how this would work, the OS is locked and includes potentially critical safety systems I don't want to fuck around with or invalidate insurance or something daft for the sake of a few quid. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah we've got a Kia and a VW and we can use either Apple or Android apps in both cars. Going half and half screen so you can have the map up at the same time as Spotify or whatever is handy.

Don't have wireless is either car, but my Kia is coming to the end of PCP, so I might see what I can get. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

With all due respect, you're coming from the perspective of have a 10 years old 0.7 litre Ford Focus. I am using a 3 year old 1.8 litre FUCKING AUDI. My expectations are way higher than yours. ;)

No but genuinely, don't understand how this would work, the OS is locked and includes potentially critical safety systems I don't want to fuck around with or invalidate insurance or something daft for the sake of a few quid. 

Eh? Mate, you plug your cable into the USB port and the Audi OS will identify the phone and display Air or Android play. This isn't like haXX0ring your phone/car, it's a feature. 

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 1

Just now, The Fish said:

Eh? Mate, you plug your cable into the USB port and the Audi OS will identify the phone and display Air or Android play. This isn't like haXX0ring your phone/car, it's a feature. 

Okay, just looked this up. If it works wirelessly will give it a go. Consider me educated. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

You're not having to crack the OS man. They come preloaded now so that they work with Android Auto and Apple Play.

My 2019 Focus had it and so does my 2022 one.

I suspect if you plugged your phone into your car via USB you'd have the world of Android Auto suddenly opened up to you.

Screenshot_20231018_104013_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64f8ebc3c2362225491d4acb9ac814b3.jpg

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Okay, just looked this up. If it works wirelessly will give it a go. Consider me educated. 

It won't work wirelessly initially. You'll have to plug in to the USB and you'll get something pop up on your phone.

When you're sorted, you can reroute that £40 a year to me.

And I'd like a public apology thread.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Wirelessly? Just plug it in man. It's not going to let Agent Smith loose in the Matrix or owt.

Honestly, you're as bad as my Dad, and he's 75!

Just now, The Fish said:

Wirelessly? Just plug it in man. It's not going to let Agent Smith loose in the Matrix or owt.

It definitely works better with the cable. Using it wirelessly causes my phone to get hot as fuck and it's hard on the battery.

Of course my 0.996l Focus comes with a wireless charging pad, which helps with the latter. 😏

29 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm not fucking around with a USB cable when I use my car man, wireless is the future. Fair enough if I need to do it once.

I never use the USB on my phone, everything is done wirelessly. In my experience, the USB charging port on a Samsung phone is always first to fuck up. 

Edited by Renton

I found Apple Play to be pretty useless. I don’t see what I can do on it that I can’t do with the car OS.

While we’re on the topic of motoring, Wales can fuck off with their 20mph zones. It’s very fucking frustrating.

19 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I found Apple Play to be pretty useless. I don’t see what I can do on it that I can’t do with the car OS.

While we’re on the topic of motoring, Wales can fuck off with their 20mph zones. It’s very fucking frustrating.

What are you driving?

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

:lol:

Chris Boardman drove from his house in the Wirrel to Cardiff.  All through Wales.  Approx 1 mile of it was 20mph zones.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol:

Chris Boardman drove from his house in the Wirrel to Cardiff.  All through Wales.  Approx 1 mile of it was 20mph zones.

And I’m sure he did that as an exploratory exercise rather than choosing a pre-planned route in order to make a point?

• Haha 1