The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

What's the alternative?

Look what happened last time we put a splitarse in charge. ;)

Burnham is the only one remotely electable. Given that the Tories don't exactly have a wealth of electable potential successors to Cameron then the next GE is a real opportunity for Labour and one that they would likely be throwing away with nearly five years to go by electing Corbyn. Burnham mightn't be everything you dreamed of but in the bigger picture he's the smart choice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's about how the argument is made tbh. The current government / coalition have borrowed ridiculous amounts of money but that's ok because they've convinced people it isn't a big issue. They've hardly done anything in terms of stimulating growth either but they've managed to convince enough people otherwise. And they were up against Ed Miliband at the last election.

Honestly, he'll get my vote if he puts together a sound economic way of achieving a lot of what he's talking about. Naturally I'm very sceptical it can be achieved. (As are most of his own MP's).

Even with the smaller state and Austerity under the conservatives, they are still having to borrow to make up the shortfall from taxation. He wants a much bigger state than we've seen for decades and lots of big spending plans. Just can't see how it's all achievable.

He talks a very good game and having heard his "patter", I can see it energising a lot of people. I would be surprised if he's now not the candidate most feared by the Tories.

I just agree with Cooper that it's false hope he's selling.

Burnham is the only one remotely electable. Given that the Tories don't exactly have a wealth of electable potential successors to Cameron then the next GE is a real opportunity for Labour and one that they would likely be throwing away with nearly five years to go by electing Corbyn. Burnham mightn't be everything you dreamed of but in the bigger picture he's the smart choice.

I agree, I don't think Corbyn, if he wins, will last long enough to be a "problem" come 2020, but,if he draws in disenchanted voters and takes Labour even just a smidgen left of their current position, he'll have done his job.

Burnham is the only candidate, in the current climate, who would be electable in a GE, which is why he gets 2nd option.

I think it'll come down to him versus Corbyn, and he'll probably edge it on 2nd choice votes.

On that note, what do people think about Yvette Cooper? Been impressed with her over the last week or so.

She gendered the debate way too early and lost my attention pretty much as soon as she did. It didn't help either that she'd not come up with any solid policies by the time I actually voted. Before it all started she was the one I was going to vote for, but she's made such a general fuck up of her campaign that I lost faith and stopped listening.

According to something I read in the last couple of months, senior Whitehall mandarins reckon she's the candidate who is best equipped to lead the country intellectually, they were impressed with her when she was a cabinet minister and I've heard her myself wipe the floor with Theresa May when she was the shadow home secretary a couple of times. However she voted for austerity which is as far from being Labour as its possible to get. Theres also a nagging doubt that she wants power for powers sake, that as a career politician she sees her career fizzling out as her husband's has, and she'll do and say pretty much anything to get back into government.

Hasn't it always been the case throughout history. Just we hear more about it these days.

The richest 1% in the UK (that's one percent btw ;) ) take home a far greater proportion of all income than they did in the late 70s. It was gradually getting better until that point I think. The UK figure is substantially higher than some other European countries too. It's only inevitable in the sense that that's the way the country has been run since 1979, not in the sense that's the way it must be.