Daily Mail banned from SJP

Kevin

NUFC Statement

Last season Newcastle United Football Club banned reporters of The Daily Mail from all games, the training ground, and from all press conferences. This decision had been reluctantly taken after repeated irresponsible press coverage.

The Daily Mail have recently made approaches through the Association of Editors for the ban to be reviewed. Newcastle United Football Club were considering that request when The Mail on Sunday decided to publish its disgraceful story about Lord Triesman. That story was not in the best interest of English football and has had enormous adverse repercussions already with regard to the 2018 World Cup bid.

Newcastle United Football Club supports the stance taken by Gary Lineker who has ceased to provide a column for the newspaper and has been outspoken in his criticism.

The Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday, will be unwelcome at Newcastle United for the foreseeable future. The club has also written to the Premier League and all other Premier League Chairmen, asking for their support in Newcastle's stance against these publications.

Didn't they ban them a good year or so anyway? They've just released this to try and validify it and try and prove 'they were right all along' in wake of recent events

Edited by JonGoodwyn

How embarrassing.

Wonder if they will ban the Guardian too, especially as recent comments made in that rag directly involve the club.

Hard to believe Ashley could be an idealistic leftie loonie though.

i'm sure this is a principled stance taken by the club and not because the mail slagged off ashley at one time or another :wub:

Exactly, what the fuck has England got to do with NUFC anyway? Are they going to ban every paper that has dodgy undercover football stories? And then why stop at football stories etc.? Makes no sense.

The Sunday Sun is already banned....and The People.

Now the Mail.

If we ban the Guardian for the Andy Cole shite...the Sun for their disgraceful Hillsbrough coverage...The New of The world for every story ever written...there's not many papers left to write nasty things and they'll all just leave us alone.

:wub:

This is a new masterclass in muppetry and no mistake.

Stupid fat cunt thinks he's a maverick or something. Does anybody think other clubs will take the same stance ?

Why make this stuff public?

Because Ashley and Llambias are fucking desperate to see the World Cup money.

Greedy cunts. If they're banning rags on the basis of what they're printing I'd fully expect to see reporters of The Guardian banned next season given their latest article. But they won't because what they're writing isn't risking Ashley's income :wub:

I know this is the latest in a trio of baffling public statements but it's easily the best bit of PR out of the three. Clearly that Wendy Taylor lass is already earning her corn.

It'll win the club (and Ashley, unfortunately) a lot of fans for doing nothing more than enforcing a ban that was already in place and tapping into the public outrage. Just look at RTG: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=497350

The majority seem mildly impressed :wub:

i'm sure this is a principled stance taken by the club and not because the mail slagged off ashley at one time or another :wub:

Exactly, what the fuck has England got to do with NUFC anyway? Are they going to ban every paper that has dodgy undercover football stories? And then why stop at football stories etc.? Makes no sense.

well the England bid for the world cup does.

I think peoples preexisting hate for MA is causing them to be a bit too angry about this

FWIW I like it and hope that other clubs follow suit, no excuse for printing stories that knowingly put the WC bid, which is great for the country, ont just at risk but basically ensuring they fail

I can see why some are annoyed, it's basically a cynical attempt to curry favour, but as far as statements go lets just thank God he isn't announcing to the world he's trying to sell us on Gumtree or eBay.

SMB loves us don't they :wub: Next time a Sunderland statement's announced lets make a thread on it ;)

And do exactly what we ridicule them for? No thanks... ;)

Why make this stuff public?

Because Ashley and Llambias are fucking desperate to see the World Cup money.

Greedy cunts. If they're banning rags on the basis of what they're printing I'd fully expect to see reporters of The Guardian banned next season given their latest article. But they won't because what they're writing isn't risking Ashley's income :wub:

Was just coming on to post a similar thing. Non-newcastle fans on other forums are lapping it up - most of them are under the impression the Mail have been banned solely because of the Triesman fiasco, which was clearly their aim.

FWIW I'd applaud them if it was on the back of the Triesman carry-on. But it's an extension of a ban rather than the imposing of one.

There's clearly something that's gone before that has got Ashley's back up. People may find that sentiment admirable but then how many over the years have called SAF an arrogant cunt for refusing to talk to the BBC?

I think the extension is born out of the Triesman revelations but I think the catalyst was concern of the financial losses of us not being awarded the 2018 WC rather than it being merely on principle.

Nice to see the regime getting all hot and bothered about England rather than NUFC. I remember being a hell of a lot more pissed off when I read that St. James' Park was going to lose it's name than when I heard of the latest FA knob getting caught out as he tried to impress the latest lass who let a bloke old enough to be her dad hump her so she could enjoy any perks she could get. Diff'rent strokes etc.

BTW I have little doubt that where some are concerned, their pre-conceived opinions of the Daily Mail have help ease their decision to back the club in this instance.

If it was George Culkin or Henry Winter who'd been banned I think we may have seen a somewhat different approach from many.

Contraversial maybe, but my point still stands.