England v USA

Guest The Three Lions

Yeah I thought the stereo-spasming the commentators were engaging in was a little over the top, it a was a good save because he kept it out. But it was at his near post and he didn't get much of a hand on it. I think I'm being over-critical, and I suppose that's coloured by my frustration at his horrific gaff that knocked the stuffing out of England in the first half and gave the yanks a platform from which they could attack in the second half.

I'd drop him, damn how he feels and how it affects his confidence, his lack of concentration cost the team a win imo.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green made a mistake - but it was the only thing he did do wrong all game - saved us big time when Carragher was skinned.

He just about tipped it onto the inside of his near post, it wasn't the world class save ITV would lead you to believe.

He kept the ball out of the onion bag which is good enough for me...

World class or not, whilst he's the difference between us having 3 points and 1 he's also the difference between us having 1 point and none.

Yeah I thought the stereo-spasming the commentators were engaging in was a little over the top, it a was a good save because he kept it out. But it was at his near post and he didn't get much of a hand on it. I think I'm being over-critical, and I suppose that's coloured by my frustration at his horrific gaff that knocked the stuffing out of England in the first half and gave the yanks a platform from which they could attack in the second half.

I'd drop him, damn how he feels and how it affects his confidence, his lack of concentration cost the team a win imo.

Thing is Dave if he hadn't had that 'horrific gaff' in the first half he'd be a fucking national hero now such is the fickle attitude of many a reporter, commentator and fan alike.

Dropping him on the back of that is a massive mistake IMO - it'll show both a weakness and a lack of confidence from Capello - both of which I'm pretty sure he'll refuse to show.

I reckon Green will get the gig against Algeria - more so because of what's happened tonight.

Green made a mistake - but it was the only thing he did do wrong all game - saved us big time when Carragher was skinned.

He just about tipped it onto the inside of his near post, it wasn't the world class save ITV would lead you to believe.

World class or not, whilst he's the difference between us having 3 points and 1 he's also the difference between us having 1 point and none.

Obviously he saved it, but I fully expected him to, if he hadn't then it would've been classed as another clanger.

Thing is Dave if he hadn't had that 'horrific gaff' in the first half he'd be a fucking national hero now such is the fickle attitude of many a reporter, commentator and fan alike.

Dropping him on the back of that is a massive mistake IMO - it'll show both a weakness and a lack of confidence from Capello - both of which I'm pretty sure he'll refuse to show.

I reckon Green will get the gig against Algeria - more so because of what's happened tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I think the press will go over-the-top, but Green did fuck up when we were looking good value for the win. If he'd flapped at a cross or soemthing he wouldn't come under the same scrutiny. However that was as simple a save as you're going to get at that level and he not only fluffed it but cost his country a win in the hardest game of their group, in the first game of their group.

I doubt the back line, who're already threadbare and mismatched, will have the same level of trust in Green as they would do a fresh 'keeper.

I know that it's basically saying "we don't trust Green" which will kill his confidence and what not, but I don't trust Green, I always said we should start Hart, despite his lack of experience.

Either way, Capello will make a decision based on decades in the game, where as mine is based on being an opinionated bellend. But so far I've been right :D

:lol:

Obviously he saved it, but I fully expected him to, if he hadn't then it would've been classed as another clanger.

Dare I remind people that we didn't go to the World Cup in 1974 on account of our goalkeeper fucking up... his name??

Peter Shilton and he continued to represent us for another 17 years - often considered the best in the world.

Green made a mistake - yes. But as I've said he did fuck all else wrong all game. A mistake that was most likely on account of nerves so the last thing he needs is his confidence shooting to hell by being dropped on account of it.

As for 'if he hadn't saved it it would've been classed as another clanger' then i go back to the point that if the howler hadn't happened - we'd all be bigging that up as a magnificent save.

:lol: @ Green!

You truly are a fucking retard aren't you?

A bit like Robert Green :D

If only he had Thierry's hands, eh? :icon_lol:

I'd forgotten how shit Lampard is when he plays for England. Hope Barry gets fit so he can play behind Gerrard in the centre.

Joe Cole should've been brought on instead of SWP and James needs to start in goal now.

:lol: @ Green!

You truly are a fucking retard aren't you?

A bit like Robert Green :D

If only he had Thierry's hands, eh? ;)

oftttt, knew you would deal the Henry card :icon_lol:

Performance more disappointing than the result: disjointed & scrappy, too much giving the ball away (the cardinal sin at international level) and still using the 'lump it up to the big man' option far too much instead of playing through sides. Have we learnt nothing in the last 20 years?

Questions need asking of Capello: SWP on the left? Twice he went round in a little circle to get back onto his right when a left footer would have first-timed it. Are Milner and Wright-Phillips both better choices on the left than Joe Cole (arguably our best player in last two tournaments)?

King: this nurse him through on swimming and exercise bike routine has kept him fit for precisely 45 mins. Was it wise to bring him when Rio had been so shaky on fitness all season? Our choices are now Carragher (slow, old and would rather be in liverpool), Upson (turning circle of an atlantic liner) and Dawson (went to school with a mate of mine). I'd go with the form player who is Dawson.

Likewise, I'd go with the for keeper, Hart. But Green needs to be handled carefully to avoid shattering his confidence Scott-Carson-stylee (His fuck-up looked v similar to Carson's, except he didn't have the excuse that it was pissing down).

Is it being overly optimistic to think everything will click once the workmanlike Gareth Barry comes back?

Just ridiculous. Do national managers not learn anything from the leagues their players play in.

Picking keepers from relegation battler teams is stupid, therefore Hart who had a great season should be first choice, dare I say it Harper would have been a better pick than either James or Green.

Craig, Green looked shaky all game and lacking in confidence, to back him again would be suicide.

Rooney last season was played up top for Man U and scored goals, but previous seasons when played off someone else he isn't as prolific - so why play him off Heskey?

Joe Cole since returning from injury has been outstanding for his club and yet SWP who had an average season at citeh is used! Regarding Milner, I don't know if people missed it but he's been ill with a flu for the last week and that was why he was subbed, still a fucking stupid decision by Capello.

Lastly why the fuck is England not playing like they do, as players, in their league matches?

The way they slow it down, albeit like "international football," is dumb. Their strength is in their pace of the game.

When they play a well structured team like the states, they end up lumping it forward to the big man (and Heskey at least showed some heart, along with Johnston), instead of working it quickly up the park through the midfield.

The commentary here in Australia was the feed for ESPN in the States, Tyler and a yank, Hawkes I think, anyway it was interesting to listen to Tyler, reserved and about football and his offsider, all offense and yank broadcaster like. It did my head in listening to him tell the US of A that Demsey's striker was brilliant opposed to Tyler explaining Green being fucking useless.

BTW Green and co, cunts cost me a multi :lol:

I wonder if betfair will refund my other wager on England?!??

Is it being overly optimistic to think everything will click once the workmanlike Gareth Barry comes back?

Hopefully it will.

Thing is once Barry is fit you'd hope Capello will push everyone up the park by one.

Rooney up top, Gerrard off Rooney, Lampard and Barry in the centre.

Hopefully it will.

Thing is once Barry is fit you'd hope Capello will push everyone up the park by one.

Rooney up top, Gerrard off Rooney, Lampard and Barry in the centre.

Not gonna happen. Pretty sure Capello swears by 4-4-2

Not the end of the world (as I said before I still think we should win the group) and we only drew because of a very soft goal but it was a pretty uninspiring performance to say the least. Lets hope it's a case of slow starters and all that.

Carra is going to be a big problem now. He was completely exposed on counter attacks when Johnson would be missing.

Green and Milners confidence will be shot, too.

I wasn't watching ITV, so missed anything they might have said about the substitution-tactical?

I wish I hadn't been watching ITV - that was, without doubt, the worst production of a football match I have ever seen - atrocious just doesn't even scratch the surface. There seems to be this obsession that all displays of emotion that any of the protagonists display have to be viewed over and over again in those fucking ridiculous HD slo-mos- i swear I nearly kicked the fuckin telly in - the game was being played and all we were seeing was Gerrards celebration, Tim howards shouting some tourette induced verbal volley at his defence or Capello doing an impression of Mrs Brady old lady on the sideline - just totally infuriating - i wouldn't care they played a blinder getting Adrian Chiles and even squeezed a Clash song into the build up but ,dear me the rest........