England v USA

Guest The Three Lions

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that was shit.

In fairness, bar one howler, I think we showed we were far better than USA. Lampard and Gerrard in the center just doesn't work for me. Heskey played well as a targetman and the wingers did ok, although I would have started or at least brought on Joe Cole.

well, we have to beat the other two now, and beat them with a bit of daylight between the sides.

Edited by The Fish

You're never going to have an easy time of it supporting England so this was to be expected! Not a bad performance all round, just not good either.

Problem is the two best chances fell to Heskey and Wright-Phillips. Does anyone know how the hell Wright-Phillips got into the squad ahead of Johnson and Walcott! People say Walcott has no footballing brain but Phillips is the definition of headless chicken, gives the ball away, runs up blind alleys and no composure or thought whatsoever.

And Heskey cannot finish. Its a shame because i actually thought he was arguably man of the match and he'd set up our goal, but he will always miss chances like that and come quarters and semis you win or lose on the one chance a striker gets, he won't score it.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Gutless performance and terrible team selection. Baffling all around. This kind of shit will just see us through against Algeria and Slovenia but Capello has got to get it sorted if we're to get any further.

Shouldn't take them too lightly, 19 of their squad are on the books of overseas clubs.

8 with English clubs.

2 with a Scottish club.

3 with German clubs.

2 with Mexican clubs

1 with Italian club

1 with French club

1 with Norwegian club

1 with Danish club.

only 3 are with Yankee clubs, Donavon who plays for the LA Galaxy being one of them.

Not being funny Noelie, but The Gooch is the yank in Italy and despite being noble hasn't really done anything. Also, I wouldn't be wholly impressed by an American plying his trade in 4 of the leagues you mention.

I understand what you're saying Mr.Fish and agree to some degree but when you consider that some of the Yankee players are on the books of Frankfurt, Hanover, Gladbag, Rennes, Rangers, Everton, Fulham, Aston Villa, Wolves, Hull, Bolton, West Ham, they must have shown something to get signed on, and that's why I say we shouldn't take them lightly. in fact no team in the World Cup should be taken lightly as surprising results happen.

I said they shouldn't be taken too lightly

On the contrary, I thought the performance was good and we had a bucket-load of chances. On another day we'd have won that one 3 or 4-1...

Green made a mistake - but it was the only thing he did do wrong all game - saved us big time when Carragher was skinned.

USA were the strongest of the three teams we'll meet in the groups. We drew our first games in '66 and '90 too (and lets not forget Euro '96 against the highly unfancied Swiss). We have to draw positives from this - it's not like we held on by the skin of our teeth - we were considerably the better side.

Keep the faith :lol:

I can't see England beating good sides - too much reliance on Rooney and Gerrard imo.

I also think Lampard's "stroll around arrogantly looking good" style works for Chelsea but just doesn't work for England - don't know why.

I hate Joe Cole for being a cheat but I'd still have brought him on instead of Wright-Phillips.

Heskey may win a few headers but he still remains an utter donkey for me - I would have been astonished if he's actually scored that one on one.

I can't see England beating good sides - too much reliance on Rooney and Gerrard imo.

I also think Lampard's "stroll around arrogantly looking good" style works for Chelsea but just doesn't work for England - don't know why.

I hate Joe Cole for being a cheat but I'd still have brought him on instead of Wright-Phillips.

Heskey may win a few headers but he still remains an utter donkey for me - I would have been astonished if he's actually scored that one on one.

Am I missing something? :lol:

I don't know - I've just always seen him as a diver - his performance against us in the FA cup quarter final (when Elliot got sent off) was a classic.

Unless I'm missing something in your confusion :D

Milner was anonymous unless he was putting a tackle in. I would have started Joe Cole.

Lennon was anonymous in the first half. Did a little better in the second but we were wingless in the first half.

Yawn Right Phillips lost about every ball in his dribbles and he should have scored.. I would have brought on Joe Cole.

Heskey belongs on the sands at Whitley Bay. He should have scored but that's wishful thinking.

We were shite in the first half but picked up in the second.

Would have won had it not been for Green's schoolboy blunder.

Capello had better put his thinking hat on cos he wasn't thinking in this game.

I don't know - I've just always seen him as a diver - his performance against us in the FA cup quarter final (when Elliot got sent off) was a classic.

Unless I'm missing something in your confusion :D

SWP got Elliott sent off, iirc.

Fuck knows why he put SWP on for Milner, even if he was going to take Milner off (who looked terribly out of his depth) he should've put Cole on who has played at LW often (and has proven to be good).

Milner was anonymous unless he was putting a tackle in. I would have started Joe Cole.

Lennon was anonymous in the first half. Did a little better in the second but we were wingless in the first half.

Yawn Right Phillips lost about every ball in his dribbles and he should have scored.. I would have brought on Joe Cole.

Heskey belongs on the sands at Whitley Bay. He should have scored but that's wishful thinking.

We were shite in the first half but picked up in the second.

Would have won had it not been for Green's schoolboy blunder.

Capello had better put his thinking hat on cos he wasn't thinking in this game.

Agree with most of this.

I'll start by saying I haven't been that "into" england over the last few years. ( think it's an age thing)

Considering preMiership best league and all that, I would have thought we would have turned this lot over no bother.

But once again it seems to be the same old faces not doing it on the big stage.

I think the back four did ok, but the midfield, wingers and forwards were all pretty shit, given their pedigree.

Agree with NJS about Heskey and can't quite understand the commentators hard on for him.

Overall, utterly boring game of football and seems like the same old England on this showing.

Green made a mistake - but it was the only thing he did do wrong all game - saved us big time when Carragher was skinned.

He just about tipped it onto the inside of his near post, it wasn't the world class save ITV would lead you to believe.

Joe Cole is the biggest diver in the Premiership.