Favourite Toon Player in Your Lifetime

Andrew

some would have us think that Shearer would be a shoo-in for any thread like this but I'm sure we all have that player who we just loved to see play, whose name we loved to hear the commentator say, might as well say, if you can find it, give us a youtube of your favourite (or if you're picking one of the big guns, a compilation) moment for them.

For me its Philippe Albert, I remember liking his name as a kid (I was only 5 when he signed for us) then as I got older and started to actually appreciate the game a bit more I came to realise that he wasn't a bad player either :lol: game misses his type nowadays, centre halfs who like to spend most of their time in the opposition half

could I post anything but this? not a CB in the game today this could do that imo

Edited by Andrew

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best footballer I've seen play for us (probably the best I'll ever see play for us) is Beardsley, no question about it.

My favourite period of time comes from that incredibly exciting spell when Andy Cole seemed to get the first goal almost every game.

My cult-hero, under the radar award would go to Clarence Acuna who I thought was a smashing little player at what he did, under-rated and criminally under-used.

The player who grabbed my imagination as a wee lad, seemed to me like a God, was Supermac.

I'll never forget walking down Grey St. one day when I was 6, same year we got to the final, and saw Supermac walking up the hill towards us.

My old man said

"Alright Mac"

He replied

"Alright mate"

and I was rooted to the spot- my Dad was mates with Supermac-Bloody Hell !!!

Has to be said, awesome striker too.

Gazza, by a very short head from Pedro....

Then dozens of others,all the usual suspects named above, but these two are the best two players this country produced in my lifetime and they were ours :lol:

I was at the age when football was the most exciting and important part of your life when Andy Cole was scoring for fun. I once rubbed coal on my face when he scored a goal.

Favourite not best, right?

Favourite Player - Super Mac

Favourite Strike Pair - McDonald/Gowling

Favourite Winger - Mickey Burns

Favourite Center Half - Glen Roeder

Favourite Full Back - John Anderson

Favourite Keeper - John Burridge

Beardsley above all but also loved Waddle, Gascoigne, Lee, Cole and Ferdinand.

Slightly below the radar come John Anderson, Kenny Wharton and Steve Carney.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Absolutely no doubt about it Peter Beardsley, and I've met him loads of times, people who say he's not a nice bloke are fuckin divvies, absolute gentleman.

Absolutely no doubt about it Peter Beardsley, and I've met him loads of times, people who say he's not a nice bloke are fuckin divvies, absolute gentleman.

Funnily enough - he said the same about you. :lol:

Favourite Player - Pedro

Favourite Strike Pair - McDonald/Shearer (I wish)

Favourite Winger - ginola

Favourite Center Half - Jeff Clarke

Favourite Full Back - Irving nattrass

Favourite Keeper - Willie Mc for loyalty

Pedro by and far above anyone. There have been other that I liked, Nobby, Shearer, Ginola for playing ability, but Pedro for that and everything else. Made Cole what he was for one. Met him a fair few times now as well and totally down to earth bloke.

I was always a fan of Pedro, Waddle and Gazza but for me the one that always really excited me was Ginola. So unpredicatable and yet could turn a game in an instant.

As an aside I regularly see Pedro buying up the pasties in Greggs at 4 Lane Ends in a morning (some breakfast that!)