The Secret Diary of Lee Ryder (aged 44 and a half)

Craig

What a complete bell end this man is. Why even give the subject of 'who will be booed' any media coverage at all? Padding!!

To boo or not to boo

Newcastle United fans do not need a "who to boo" guide this season but I'm going to give them one anyway.

Cheers for that then. Love the way that his first 11 words forewarn how the rest of his output is going to be utterly worthless.

Apart from the bad writing (as normal) and the notion players don't reach their peak until at least 27 (I think players seem to peak much younger than they did say, 10 years ago) I don't think there's too much wrong with Louise Taylor's article.

because she is a mackem, she's getting flak, but this article is too close to the truth to some people for my money.

As usual though, she is getting the attention intended. ;)

What a complete bell end this man is. Why even give the subject of 'who will be booed' any media coverage at all? Padding!!

To boo or not to boo

Newcastle United fans do not need a "who to boo" guide this season but the subject of booing may well be a recurring theme this season.

Michael Owen - even though he didn't play - was first to get some stick at Manchester United as fans made their feelings clear about the former number 10 who was never ever going to stay the second Newcastle went down.

The next player to test out the boo-ometer will be Habib Beye who arrives with Aston Villa this Sunday.

Ironically, Newcastle's last Premier League game in the Premier League was Beye's last in a black and white shirt.

He didn't play at Aston Villa when the Mags went down due to injury and weeks later found himself playing for the team that struck that final fatal blow on the Toon.

To refresh, Beye was going into the last year of his contract 12 months ago and wanted a new deal.

Frustrated with the lack of progress from a contract point of view and disarray around the club, he slapped in a transfer request and got it.

Beye was also at the centre of the infamous inquest at Leyton Orient when players were allegedly asked to raise a hand if they wanted to go.

Whether Beye raised a hand or not is not 100% clear.

I understood at the time that had Alan Shearer got the the job at Newcastle his contract may have been sorted out sooner rather than later, and Beye was public with his wish to see Big Al installed.

However, regardless of what might have happened, Beye left Newcastle and joined Villa where he spent an unhappy season on the bench.

To boo Beye would be to boo a player that gave everything in a black and white shirt during his time here and didn't shirk much during his two years at the club.

He was always one of the first to give an explanation to supporters (via the Chronicle), especially away from home, when things hadn't gone to plan.

Perhaps on a smaller scale, Beye was similar to Shay Given when it comes to putting a shift in for United, and I know for a fact Given won't be booed.

Given got out before Newcastle were relegated along with Charles N'Zogbia and Seb Bassong and Damien Duff followed later.

Bassong said he would always go if Newcastle were relegated, before it even happened but also said he would stay if United stayed up.

As good as Bassong was, his attitude was crap once we were relegated and he didn't entertain staying at Newcastle for a second.

Duff jumped ship after one game in the Championship.

I guess whether a player is booed or not largely depends on what they done on the pitch when they were here.

On that basis, Bassong, Beye and Given may yet avoid the boos while N'Zogbia, Duff and Owen will endure more their fair share on their returns to St James' Park.

That's my opinion anyway.

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2010/08/to-...not-to-boo.html

what's the problem with this ? It'a blog, so it isn't going to be educated writing Guardian style ;) , but most of it is true ?

Is there a problem with people putting forward a view of NUFC which doesn't conform to their own ?

To boo or not to boo

Newcastle United fans do not need a "who to boo" guide this season but the subject of booing may well be a recurring theme this season.

Michael Owen - even though he didn't play - was first to get some stick at Manchester United as fans made their feelings clear about the former number 10 who was never ever going to stay the second Newcastle went down.

The next player to test out the boo-ometer will be Habib Beye who arrives with Aston Villa this Sunday.

Ironically, Newcastle's last Premier League game in the Premier League was Beye's last in a black and white shirt.

He didn't play at Aston Villa when the Mags went down due to injury and weeks later found himself playing for the team that struck that final fatal blow on the Toon.

To refresh, Beye was going into the last year of his contract 12 months ago and wanted a new deal.

Frustrated with the lack of progress from a contract point of view and disarray around the club, he slapped in a transfer request and got it.

Beye was also at the centre of the infamous inquest at Leyton Orient when players were allegedly asked to raise a hand if they wanted to go.

Whether Beye raised a hand or not is not 100% clear.

I understood at the time that had Alan Shearer got the the job at Newcastle his contract may have been sorted out sooner rather than later, and Beye was public with his wish to see Big Al installed.

However, regardless of what might have happened, Beye left Newcastle and joined Villa where he spent an unhappy season on the bench.

To boo Beye would be to boo a player that gave everything in a black and white shirt during his time here and didn't shirk much during his two years at the club.

He was always one of the first to give an explanation to supporters (via the Chronicle), especially away from home, when things hadn't gone to plan.

Perhaps on a smaller scale, Beye was similar to Shay Given when it comes to putting a shift in for United, and I know for a fact Given won't be booed.

Given got out before Newcastle were relegated along with Charles N'Zogbia and Seb Bassong and Damien Duff followed later.

Bassong said he would always go if Newcastle were relegated, before it even happened but also said he would stay if United stayed up.

As good as Bassong was, his attitude was crap once we were relegated and he didn't entertain staying at Newcastle for a second.

Duff jumped ship after one game in the Championship.

I guess whether a player is booed or not largely depends on what they done on the pitch when they were here.

On that basis, Bassong, Beye and Given may yet avoid the boos while N'Zogbia, Duff and Owen will endure more their fair share on their returns to St James' Park.

That's my opinion anyway.

http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2010/08/to-...not-to-boo.html

what's the problem with this ? It'a blog, so it isn't going to be educated writing Guardian style ;) , but most of it is true ?

Is there a problem with people putting forward a view of NUFC which doesn't conform to their own ?

I think the reaction was more along the lines of: what was the point of even going to the bother of typing that?

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Steve Wraith believes Geordie fans will count

Aug 19 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Comments (4)

Recommend (1)

FANZINE writer Steve Wraith feels the Geordie public can make the difference when it comes to Newcastle United surviving their first season back in the Premier League after a one-year absence.

The Newcastle United fan was not disheartened by the 3-0 reverse at Old Trafford on Monday and, like many Toon supporters, believes that the season proper starts on Sunday against Aston Villa.

He said today: “The home crowd will always be a major factor for Newcastle United.

“Last season a few teams came here and felt intimidated and an unbeaten home record underlines that.

“It would be great to mark our return to the big league with three points and really get the season kick-started.

“It promises to be a great atmosphere and hopefully Villa will not know what has hit them.”

Reflecting on all things black and white, Wraith, who is producing a new fanzine alongside ex-Toon player Joe Allon, is still confident about the season ahead.

He added: “There were a lot of positives to take out of the game at Manchester United.

“Andy Carroll worked like a trojan, Mike Williamson looked comfortable and statistically Joey Barton was our best midfield player.

“It is clear to all fans we need to invest in more players before the transfer window slams shut.

“Our priority is still a pacy forward, some cover at left-back and a midfielder who can create a spark.

“I am happy with what we have brought in so far and I feel this squad has what it takes to remain in the Premier League this season.

“With a draw against Accrington Stanley in the League Cup we should be looking at progressing in a competition we just never seem to take seriously.

“It would be nice to have a bit of luck and a trip to the new Wembley next year.”

Steve’s new magazine Toon Talk is available outside the ground on Sunday and in all good newsagents at £2:80

So fuckin what. Steve Wraith ;) So desperate for a story he's on the blower to him, he might as well have rang me.

Apart from the bad writing (as normal) and the notion players don't reach their peak until at least 27 (I think players seem to peak much younger than they did say, 10 years ago) I don't think there's too much wrong with Louise Taylor's article.

because she is a mackem, she's getting flak, but this article is too close to the truth to some people for my money.

As usual though, she is getting the attention intended. :)

I missed that article last week, but I have to admit it is pretty much in line with what I think -even down to Shola not being that bad and

Collocini in front of back four instead of Smith maybe. He couldnt do a worse job

The incredibly frustrating and depressing thing is, even after the last two years if Ashley had enough sense to sign up (somebody like) Bellamy or this Arfa character, plus a bit of quality in midfield and at left back, we would have the basis of a good young squad. He could pension of the remaining useless ageing high earners over the next couple of years, and without breaking the bank we would probably be in a decent enough position.

Trouble is he is an idiot

If you think ameobi is not that bad then I'm not sure who the idiot is. There can't be much in it, IMO.

I may have overstated my position -can I rephrase it to "not as bad as everybody else thinks he is and I dont wish him a long protracted death though I wouldn't be too bothered if he never played for us again"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

There's honestly posters on here who write better than he does, have more to say and know more about football than this cretin. Caulkin and Brenner must think ffs when they read the chronicle like.

There's honestly posters on here who write better than he does, have more to say and know more about football than this cretin. Caulkin and Brenner must think ffs when they read the chronicle like.

Some of the jokers that've made it a Sport Journalist.. makes me fucking spit.

I get as annoyed at them as I do the bling wearing gangster wannabes who are doing a job I would kill for.

Earn it you fucking chancers.

My interest in reading Chron fell off completely when this chancer replaced Oliver. Oliver was obviously hardened to goings-on and was at least more knowledgable football-wise. Oliver could get a semblence of emotion into his writings. (John Gibson i'll always have a lot more time for than Ryder or Oliver btw.)

From what I've heard, Oliver by all accounts was pretty egotistical but could tell he was also keen to 'get in there' a bit more in terms of getting a story . More wiley.

Haven't read back much on this thread so possibly repeating previous comments, but this Ryder's just not up to it like. Gives it all the 'ive been in the stands, ive been all round Europe as a fan. TOON TOON.' bollix, but if he was the man of the people and fan he purports of himself, he'd write in a more balanced way. Yeah I know he has to keep onside with the club so can get bits of info, get access etc. but i'd hate to be his dentist and see Dekka's fingers coming up through his throat, what with him having his hand up his arse.

Ryder just seems like he was in the right place right time in terms of getting his job. I don't think he has anywhere near the intelligence or passion of (to some extent) Oliver, more so, Gibson. Writing around one club, it can't be easy coming up with a decent backpage on a daily basis, but this is where they earn their corn at the end of the day .

I picture him in Thompson house most days wandering about half-cut with his nylon suit smelling of the night previous, frantically scouring Twitter or whatnot. By lunchtime I see him as being glad of a bit of fresh air - a Greggs sausage & bean melt, a ham & peasepud stottie and maybe a cheeky packet of cheese n onion why don't'cha. Its Lee's chance to forget, to switch off from his daunting task. Extended (facebook orientated) lunchtime over , panic sets in. Feeling slightly fresher for now having sobered up , he comes into his own and a story emerges like a butterfly from a crysalis, Dekka on call to approve, offer guidance . Spell and grammar checker ignored, it's just submitted before his deadline.

Happy Days thinks Lee.

Off he then pops for his 8 cans of Kronenburg for £7.50 , closely joined by a Dominos pizza box and a 'soap night' viewing schedule .

The process is then repeated throughout the week.

;) Maybe the most accurate depiction of Thomson House there has been. I went on Work Experience and it was shit.

did ya !? class . . while we're on about atrocious local tinpot journos and you've an insight to the 'workings' . . you any idea if that 'Mr Eats' arsehole is a bona-fide human or just a random generator piece of software ?! On the rare occasion i catch the Sunday Sun i love reading it for his bait reviews and the predictability of them what with his "she who must be fed/obayed" "high time we headed to the coast" "i plumped for the roast beef with all the trimmings" and not without the cunting "eatsmobile" . I can never get beyond laughing to think him and his fat wife get a free feed every week, plus gets paid to commit what in effect is the meal leaving his anus to print .

I picture him in Thompson house most days wandering about half-cut with his nylon suit smelling of the night previous, frantically scouring Twitter or whatnot. By lunchtime I see him as being glad of a bit of fresh air - a Greggs sausage & bean melt, a ham & peasepud stottie and maybe a cheeky packet of cheese n onion why don't'cha. Its Lee's chance to forget, to switch off from his daunting task. Extended (facebook orientated) lunchtime over , panic sets in. Feeling slightly fresher for now having sobered up , he comes into his own and a story emerges like a butterfly from a crysalis, Dekka on call to approve, offer guidance . Spell and grammar checker ignored, it's just submitted before his deadline.

Happy Days thinks Lee.

Off he then pops for his 8 cans of Kronenburg for £7.50 , closely joined by a Dominos pizza box and a 'soap night' viewing schedule .

;) Excellent creative prose: probably an accurate portrayal of this joker too. I've only read one or two Ryder pieces and his reputation as an incompetent hack is well-earned. Ah well, does any fucker even read that paper?

the whole paper's woeful KSA ! mostly stories are chanced upon and based around youtube clips or big bits of quoted Facebook shit. honest. off today so actually bought it. not to make light , but was a story today about a guy from blyth being found dead. two thirds of the copy (half page article btw) was made up of copied n pasted facebook tributes ?!

not even journalists putting half the stories together, be just the cleaners having a bit potter with the computers.

few years ago couple of us at previous work used to email some of the 'journos' to point out their youtube / facebook research based stories, and how hopeless they were just for the crack. they never replied alas. if ive still got one on me emails ill hoy it up.

My interest in reading Chron fell off completely when this chancer replaced Oliver. Oliver was obviously hardened to goings-on and was at least more knowledgable football-wise. Oliver could get a semblence of emotion into his writings. (John Gibson i'll always have a lot more time for than Ryder or Oliver btw.)

From what I've heard, Oliver by all accounts was pretty egotistical but could tell he was also keen to 'get in there' a bit more in terms of getting a story . More wiley.

Haven't read back much on this thread so possibly repeating previous comments, but this Ryder's just not up to it like. Gives it all the 'ive been in the stands, ive been all round Europe as a fan. TOON TOON.' bollix, but if he was the man of the people and fan he purports of himself, he'd write in a more balanced way. Yeah I know he has to keep onside with the club so can get bits of info, get access etc. but i'd hate to be his dentist and see Dekka's fingers coming up through his throat, what with him having his hand up his arse.

Ryder just seems like he was in the right place right time in terms of getting his job. I don't think he has anywhere near the intelligence or passion of (to some extent) Oliver, more so, Gibson. Writing around one club, it can't be easy coming up with a decent backpage on a daily basis, but this is where they earn their corn at the end of the day .

Happy Days thinks Lee.

Alan Oliver was on the Clubs payroll and thus peddled the Club (Shepherd etc) propaganda time after time. For all the shit that went on at NUFC in his latter tenure he never once questioned the heirarchy at SJP.

Edited by Ugly Mackems