Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

"There's a little triangle - five left-footed players.

I would also think that the replay showed it to be worse than it actually was.

He's not only a good player, but he's spiteful in the nicest sense of the word.

The keeper was unsighted - he still didn't see it.

You half fancied that to go in as it was rising and dipping at the same time.

That was Pele's strength - holding people off with his arm."

:(

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A favoured tactic is the little reducer.

isnt that one of ron atkinsons made up words?

It's one of his, aye. Along with 'outstrengthed' etc.

Setting aside the controversy, I thought he was quite an interesting character. To think he managed Man U.

Won the FA Cup there too. I quite liked his quirky little sayings "lazy nigger" and the like.

I did find that very out of character bearing his mind his close relationship and mutual respect of all those black players.

Probably said stuff like that all the time imo. Think it's sad that the hypocritical media decided that overshadowed the stuff you're on about too. Not condoning what he did but he did do a lot for black players, whereas most journos who condemned him probably work in an office that's almost exclusively white.

Setting aside the controversy, I thought he was quite an interesting character. To think he managed Man U.

Won the FA Cup there too. I quite liked his quirky little sayings "lazy nigger" and the like.

I did find that very out of character bearing his mind his close relationship and mutual respect of all those black players.

Probably said stuff like that all the time imo. Think it's sad that the hypocritical media decided that overshadowed the stuff you're on about too. Not condoning what he did but he did do a lot for black players, whereas most journos who condemned him probably work in an office that's almost exclusively white.

Yup. All those black players at WBA and ManU always had a good word for him - Cunningham, Batson etc...

I loved Cyrille Regis when I was a nipper.

Imagine if we had someone of that ilk now. He really was a no nonsense express train type forward. People bang on about Benzema and whatnot - Regis was very underatted for his time as was Ian Wright.

Toon star Ben Arfa's operation was success

Oct 7 2010 by Mark Douglas, Evening Chronicle

Hatem Ben Arfa

SURGERY on Hatem Ben Arfa’s double leg break was a “complete success”, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has revealed.

Ben Arfa will leave hospital today and looks set to return to France for the first stages of what promise to be a long rehabilitation after breaking both tibia and fibia bones in his left leg.

But he will be back in the North East soon, with Newcastle promising to provide as much support as they can to get him back in a black-and-white shirt before the end of the season.

“The doctors have told us that the operation was a success but it’s important what happens next for Hatem,” Hughton told the Chronicle.

“The leg has to be stabilised, and it’s a long healing process for him. But we will support him every step of the way.

“I would imagine that Hatem will go home for some of the time he is out injured, but he will be in Newcastle with the club medical staff too – it will be a combination of the two. It will be dictated by what is best for his injury.

“It is too early to talk about when he will come back really. It is very early days at the moment.”

Hughton, meanwhile, has drawn a line under the sickening incident that caused his injury, saying Nigel de Jong is now far from his thoughts.

“A lot has been said about the tackle but my response is that our concentration has to be on the next game,” he said.

“We have to get ourselves ready to play Wigan an

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz11gbNaq8k

The fact he signed a few black players doesn't mean he isn't a racist though. I remember reading something about how he 'light-heartedly' made the black players sit at the back of the bus - the sort of thing that comes under the term 'banter' that not everyone sees the funny side of.

If he did refuse to work with/sign black players then he'd be some kind of lunatic Nick Griffin-alike which obviously he isn't, but I'd say he's more towards that end of the scale than is acceptable in today's society on the basis of what I've heard.

Fifa official concerned by football 'brutality'

Fifa's top medical official has said that football at the highest level is being disfigured by "criminality" and "brutality" on the pitch.

Dr Michel d'Hooghe told BBC Sport he is concerned by the number of serious injuries caused by dangerous tackles.

"Some players come on the field... simply to provoke injuries in other persons - to break a career," he said.

The Belgian added: "I have two eyes, where I can see what happens - how some acts are really criminal."

D'Hooghe is the chairman of Fifa's medical committee and one of the longest-serving members of the executive committee of football's world governing body.

He was speaking out following a recent series of serious injuries sustained by players after reckless challenges - but he made it clear he was not referring to any player specifically.

Theo van Seggelen, the general secretary of global players' union FIFPro, has defended his members.

"I don't believe there is a player in the world - and we have 50,000 members - who would deliberately try to injure someone else," said Van Seggelen. "That would not be acceptable."

D'Hooghe also said that if referees fail to spot bad tackles, then football authorities must be able to punish players retrospectively.

Newcastle United have expressed frustration that the Football Association, under current Fifa rules, cannot discipline Manchester City's Nigel de Jong, because match referee Martin Atkinson did not award a free-kick for his recent tackle on Hatem Ben Arfa. The challenge resulted in the Newcastle United player sustaining a broken leg.

D'Hooghe said if there is clear video evidence, an FA should still act, adding: "It's not because it's not been seen on the field that suddenly nothing happened."

Fifa has proved itself enormously resistant to the use of video technology to aid referees, but D'Hooghe insisted this could be less controversial than goal-line aids.

He says he intends to raise the issue at Fifa's next executive committee meeting in three weeks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9071151.stm

"I don't believe there is a player in the world - and we have 50,000 members - who would deliberately try to injure someone else," said Van Seggelen. "That would not be acceptable."

The Dog Botherer?

Admitted in his book that he went out to 'do' Haaland, didnt he?

Danny Murphy's take on dangerous tackles - from Skysports

Link

Fulham's Danny Murphy believes managers must take more responsibility for a rash of dangerous tackles that has blighted the Premier League in recent weeks.

Murphy believes the managers at Stoke, Wolves and Blackburn are to blame for sending out their players too pumped up for action.

Cottagers striker Bobby Zamora suffered a broken leg in a challenge by Wolves' Karl Henry and the same player was fined two weeks' wages by his club after another savage tackle on Wigan's Jordi Gomez.

Newcastle have writted to The Football Association to ask for action to be taken against Manchester City's Nigel de Jong for the tackle which left Hatem Ben Arfa with a double leg break.

Murphy called some tackles "ridiculous" and "brainless" and said managers had to take responsibility.

"Your manager dictates what your players do and how you behave," said Murphy at Leaders in Football Conference.

Pumped up

"You get managers who are sending their teams out to stop other teams playing, which is happening more and more - the Stokes, Blackburns, Wolves.

"They can say it's effective and they have got to win games but the fact is the managers are sending out their players so pumped up there is inevitably going to be problems.

"Every ship has a captain and that's the manager who is in charge."

Murphy said there should be tougher sanctions for dangerous tackles - especially for repeat offenders.

No brains

"The pace in which some players go into tackles now is ridiculous. There's no brains involved in the players who are doing that," added Murphy.

"I don't believe players are going out to break another player's leg but there has to be some logic and intelligence involved.

"If you are going at someone at a certain pace and you don't get it right you are going to hurt them.

"Players should be culpable for that, in terms of punishment I don't know what - but they need to show a little bit more intelligence, especially the ones who are doing it repeatedly."

Fulham always topped the Fair Play league during Roy Hodgson's time as manager and Murphy says that was no coincidence.

"If you have a manager like Roy Hodgson in charge you don't get discipline problems," noted Murphy.

"If you have a manager that's in control of the team and doesn't allow these type of things to go on then you are going to have a more disciplined team.

"I'm not saying tackling is a bad thing but we want to watch the best players on the pitch.

"Under Roy Hodgson at Fulham we were always top of the Fair Play league because he wouldn't accept talking back to the referee and he wouldn't accept stupid tackles."

The fact he signed a few black players doesn't mean he isn't a racist though. I remember reading something about how he 'light-heartedly' made the black players sit at the back of the bus - the sort of thing that comes under the term 'banter' that not everyone sees the funny side of.

If he did refuse to work with/sign black players then he'd be some kind of lunatic Nick Griffin-alike which obviously he isn't, but I'd say he's more towards that end of the scale than is acceptable in today's society on the basis of what I've heard.

I know that. I was making a point about the hypocrisy of it all.

He refused to see De Jong or any representative of Man City in hospital.

I know exactly how he feels too, when i did my knee (tore all the ligaments in my knee off the bone) i wanted to kill the cunt that did it for months.