Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

I'd put the two tackles on a par. You can't say one tackle is worse than another just because of the outcome either because some of the most innocuous looking ones result in horrific injuries and vice-versa. The point about the respective builds is bollocks too. Both in regard to the assessment of Bernard's build (solid little bloke) and the suggestion it makes any difference to how easy it is to injure players with a challenge.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it Graveson who nearly broke Bernards leg a few years ago at Goodison? Or Carsley? Either way they were never appropriately punished. Just while we're raking up the past.

Gravesen.

Awful tackle that. One of the worst I've seen and completely amazing Bernard wasn't seriously injured.

Was a bad tackle no doubt about it but wasn't anywhere near as bad as Nolans tbf

Was 100 times worse in my opinion, and from that second our history unravelled, if we'd have won that game, we had a good chance of winning the league and it was 1-1 at the time.

I'm sorry but I disagree... the fact Bernard wasnt seriously injured and Anichebe was would certainly point to there being a difference in the challenge... factor in that Anichebe is build like a brick shit house and Bernard isnt would also point to you having to put a fair bit more in to the challenge to seriously injure him.

I challenge that... I reckon Anichebe would have been down a damned sight quicker than Bernard here:

Bet he doesn't make as mean a crepe either...:(

Haha I love that video!!! Proper laughed my arse off when that happened and just did seeing it again! Fair play to the lad he did take a long time to go down!

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Was it Graveson who nearly broke Bernards leg a few years ago at Goodison? Or Carsley? Either way they were never appropriately punished. Just while we're raking up the past.

Gravesen.

Awful tackle that. One of the worst I've seen and completely amazing Bernard wasn't seriously injured.

Was a bad tackle no doubt about it but wasn't anywhere near as bad as Nolans tbf

Was 100 times worse in my opinion, and from that second our history unravelled, if we'd have won that game, we had a good chance of winning the league and it was 1-1 at the time.

I'm sorry but I disagree... the fact Bernard wasnt seriously injured and Anichebe was would certainly point to there being a difference in the challenge... factor in that Anichebe is build like a brick shit house and Bernard isnt would also point to you having to put a fair bit more in to the challenge to seriously injure him.

What made it worse for me was he stamped down on his knee like a scene from Blood Sport it was cynical and could've maimed him. Not only that we could've won the league like really it was 1-1, and from that unpunished inicident, Everton scored 20 seconds later. Could've cost us the title, although our form after that wasn't great, but who's to say if we'd won that game we could've went on and won our last 6 games? It didn't cost us the title but it contributed, and lets be honest Everton will never get that close to winning it in the future that's what made it harder to take.

I'd put the two tackles on a par. You can't say one tackle is worse than another just because of the outcome either because some of the most innocuous looking ones result in horrific injuries and vice-versa. The point about the respective builds is bollocks too. Both in regard to the assessment of Bernard's build (solid little bloke) and the suggestion it makes any difference to how easy it is to injure players with a challenge.

Fair enough, its probs fresher im your memory than mine as there's obviously still some feeling of injustice because it lead to us scoring then penalty. I've had a look on the internet to see if I can find it to refresh my memory but can't find it anywhere... so if anyone can post some pics for comparison then it would be interesting.

But yeah both very bad challenges so splitting hairs I suppose even if we do decide on a "winner".

I think build can play a part though... If Nolan did that to my skinny noodle legs i'd probs never walk again :(

Edited by ajax_andy

Fair enough, its probs fresher im your memory than mine as there's obviously still some feeling of injustice because it lead to us scoring then penalty. I've had a look on the internet to see if I can find it to refresh my memory but can't find it anywhere... so if anyone can post some pics for comparison then it would be interesting.

But yeah both very bad challenges so splitting hairs I suppose even if we do decide on a "winner".

I think build can play a part though... If Nolan did that to my skinny noodle legs i'd probs never walk again :(

It's all to do with the circumstances re: the challenge imo. Or at least that's the biggest factor, i.e. studs getting caught in the turf etc.

Anyway Andy, I think you're alright and decent crack for what it's worth so I don't want to argue the toss with you too much. I think we're all just pissed off with a thug like De Jong injuring another player intentionally. Especially seeing as he looked the part for us and we haven't got a lot to cheer about.

Gravesen.

What made it worse for me was he stamped down on his knee like a scene from Blood Sport it was cynical and could've maimed him. Not only that we could've won the league like really it was 1-1, and from that unpunished inicident, Everton scored 20 seconds later. Could've cost us the title, although our form after that wasn't great, but who's to say if we'd won that game we could've went on and won our last 6 games? It didn't cost us the title but it contributed, and lets be honest Everton will never get that close to winning it in the future that's what made it harder to take.

Everton got a (soft) pen straight after iirc. Probably a pen like but Woodgate barely touched the player. I think what pissed me off at the time too was Everton celebrating like they'd won the FA Cup after the game. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

It's all to do with the circumstances re: the challenge imo. Or at least that's the biggest factor, i.e. studs getting caught in the turf etc.

Anyway Andy, I think you're alright and decent crack for what it's worth so I don't want to argue the toss with you too much. I think we're all just pissed off with a thug like De Jong injuring another player intentionally. Especially seeing as he looked the part for us and we haven't got a lot to cheer about.

Cheers Alex, yeah I agree there's too much of it at the moment... That Karl henry one at the weekend was shocking too... seriously looked like the opposing player (I forget who it was) had been hit by a car the way he went flying. No way was there any intention to play the ball.

I know what you're saying about Ben Arfa, that goal he scored against us showed the class he had, and its a shame for you's and for the league that he's going to miss probably the rest of the season... could have been a great player for you's and the creative spark you need.

I notice Pires is training at arsenal at the moment... do you think it would be worth seeing if he could do a job for you's? Wont be the player he once was but certainly has an eye for a killer pass.

Cheers Alex, yeah I agree there's too much of it at the moment... That Karl henry one at the weekend was shocking too... seriously looked like the opposing player (I forget who it was) had been hit by a car the way he went flying. No way was there any intention to play the ball.

I know what you're saying about Ben Arfa, that goal he scored against us showed the class he had, and its a shame for you's and for the league that he's going to miss probably the rest of the season... could have been a great player for you's and the creative spark you need.

I notice Pires is training at arsenal at the moment... do you think it would be worth seeing if he could do a job for you's? Wont be the player he once was but certainly has an eye for a killer pass.

Haven't seen enough of Pires in recent years but I'd guess he's at the stage in his career where he needs players buzzing around him. Not sure we'd give him that.

Haven't seen enough of Pires in recent years but I'd guess he's at the stage in his career where he needs players buzzing around him. Not sure we'd give him that.

Yeah me neither tbh, sometimes it sounds like a good idea but in reality their legs have gone and they aren't as hungry anymore.

I feel really sad for everyone about this, for all the lads on NO who went mad about him signing, the older fuckers who were originally sceptical and then started to think we've got a player on our hands, for Hughton who managed to get in a quality player on the shoestring Ashley gives him but most of all i feel sorry for him. Fucking soppy as fuck for a 37 year old but after all the shit of the last few years, i was willing to think we might be a pleasure to watch again. Everything felt written in the stars, i was convinced before we signed him that he had some affinity with us, i had a hunch that other french players (current and retired) were influencing his thinking, i was willing it to happen when it sounded far-fetched, he signed the week i turned 37 and took that number on shirt, he scored on his debut, i bought the shirt for me and my (french) daughter. Then this.

So devasted and angry but what can you do, its despicable and unfair but thats life and its happened to other players and will happen again. Something tells me though that the Ben Arfa / Newcastle story is far from over. I'm starting to dream again. It would be just the sort of mad story that with a sense of natural justice he comes back in March and helps us lift the Carling Cup. If we beat Arsenal at home, it might be worth a quid at the bookies.

:(

I feel really sad for everyone about this, for all the lads on NO who went mad about him signing, the older fuckers who were originally sceptical and then started to think we've got a player on our hands, for Hughton who managed to get in a quality player on the shoestring Ashley gives him but most of all i feel sorry for him. Fucking soppy as fuck for a 37 year old but after all the shit of the last few years, i was willing to think we might be a pleasure to watch again. Everything felt written in the stars, i was convinced before we signed him that he had some affinity with us, i had a hunch that other french players (current and retired) were influencing his thinking, i was willing it to happen when it sounded far-fetched, he signed the week i turned 37 and took that number on shirt, he scored on his debut, i bought the shirt for me and my (french) daughter. Then this.

So devasted and angry but what can you do, its despicable and unfair but thats life and its happened to other players and will happen again. Something tells me though that the Ben Arfa / Newcastle story is far from over. I'm starting to dream again. It would be just the sort of mad story that with a sense of natural justice he comes back in March and helps us lift the Carling Cup. If we beat Arsenal at home, it might be worth a quid at the bookies.

:icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

I'm also certain the story of Newcastle and Afra has just begun. Keep believing Adam. All magical systems are fully aligned. :(

Newcastle complained to the FA. This should be interesting...

In typical NUFC fashion, we're at odds with ourselves, even over something like this....

Some conciliatory words for Manchester City defender Nigel De Jong have been forthcoming from a slightly unexpected area - SJP.

Magpies assistant boss Colin Calderwood - no stranger to keen tackling during his own playing career - has had this to say about the challenge that curtailed Hatem Ben Arfa's season on Sunday:

"At first the tackle looked really strong – he went into the challenge very, very quickly. We tried to get a quick look at the replay, but there was no replay coming up on the camera in the tunnel.

"But I wouldn’t want to take that type of challenge out of our football. The consequences of the challenge are horrible but there was a certain amount of misfortune in that Hatem’s legs were attached to the ground a little bit and the force with which de Jong hit him definitely moved the leg."

:(

He can't go back to Marseille with Everything that's happened. None of the bigger English clubs will come in for him now his leg's broken. I think he'll want to stay in the English league and consequently I remain hopeful that he will stay with us beyond this season. I think there's a decent chance of that. Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery.

The worst thing about the injury for me - other than the fact we've lost perhaps our best player for an indefinite period - has been the reaction within the media, governing bodies, and the football world in general. The Dutch manager has taken a stand but he's on his own. It's a fucking disgrace really.

He can't go back to Marseille with Everything that's happened. None of the bigger English clubs will come in for him now his leg's broken. I think he'll want to stay in the English league and consequently I remain hopeful that he will stay with us beyond this season. I think there's a decent chance of that. Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery.

The worst thing about the injury for me - other than the fact we've lost perhaps our best player for an indefinite period - has been the reaction within the media, governing bodies, and the football world in general. The Dutch manager has taken a stand but he's on his own. It's a fucking disgrace really.

Why did it have to be him ffs?!

Why did it have to be him ffs?!

Why Lord!? Why couldn't you have taken Nolan instead?!

My fault for buying a home shirt with Ben Arfa 37 on the back.

Watching it in the pub a fella said I should've got Collocini on the back and left it there.

Skilful player smashed by thug, almost as old a story as Adam and Eve. Fucking gutted, he could have been the difference between a consolidating, exciting season or another relegation battle. Hopefully there's enough in the team to keep us going. Optimism waned somewhat lately. :(