Williamson & Ranger

Park Life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, looked solid. A pretty slow set of central defenders though... will probably be dropped when Campbell's fit anyway, even if he continues to play well which is quite unfortunate for him.

Not a bad Premiership bow. He'll get better with experience. Certainly got Colccini out of the shit in the first half (typical old Colo wasn't it?).

Had a mare of a moment late on with that clearance from the box though - should have buried that in the crowd.

big willy was definitely the pick of our defenders bar the odd dodgy clearance.

it was alarming to see colo and enrique to revert to type but hopefully it was just the occasion of playing at old trafford. they looked a lot more assured last season. i don't think we're going to be able to get away with playing our way out of trouble from the back this year. some of enrique's short passes around our own penalty box were suicidal.

it was alarming to see colo and enrique to revert to type but hopefully it was just the occasion of playing at old trafford. they looked a lot more assured last season. i don't think we're going to be able to get away with playing our way out of trouble from the back this year. some of enrique's short passes around our own penalty box were suicidal.

I didn't think either of them were that bad tbh and they'll rarely face such a terrifying front line. But both need to realise that they can't play their way out of trouble/take liberties, like they did last season.

Willamson/Campbell is a decent defensive pairing IMO. Not the quickest like but their reading of the game should make up for it a bit.

3 / 5 at the back might suit us away from home too. Would certainly suit Coloccini.

The more I see of him, the more I like him. Did well tonight against one of the most dangerous attacks in Europe (bar a sub-par Rooney).

yes I agree. One or two dodgy moments, but he is steady with no frills about him.

Willamson/Campbell is a decent defensive pairing IMO. Not the quickest like but their reading of the game should make up for it a bit.

3 / 5 at the back might suit us away from home too. Would certainly suit Coloccini.

Collocini in front of back four instead of Smith maybe. He couldnt do a worse job

Collocini in front of back four instead of Smith maybe. He couldnt do a worse job

It might suit Nolan better too

I've always liked the look of Williamson being solid and unspectatcular, just good at the job and hoped he could take that into the prem. Early to judge but i think he will and as people have said he bailed others out last night.

Enrique and Colo just need to remember we're not in the championship anymore and if you fanny about or take risks the top players will punish you and they'll be ok.

I've always liked the look of Williamson being solid and unspectatcular, just good at the job and hoped he could take that into the prem. Early to judge but i think he will and as people have said he bailed others out last night.

Enrique and Colo just need to remember we're not in the championship anymore and if you fanny about or take risks the top players will punish you and they'll be ok.

surprised you haven't reacted to three at the back suggestion

:lol:

I'm sure Colo, Campbell and Williamson would be a decent combo as a 3 and Enrique and Perch capable of getting up and down, but i still think we'd end up a mess as always playing that system. Sir Bobby was a great manager and everytime he did it were were a complete shambles from 1 to 11, so i don't imagine Hughton storming the prem with it!

It worked that one time under Big Al away to Stoke because he knew they'd be humping the ball into the box in the air from iopen play, set pieces and throw ins for 90 mins and he wanted more aerial protection, so as an occasional tactic for very particular situations, maybe, but otherwise, no!

OOo Errrr!

CHRIS Hughton reckons Mike Williamson and James Perch passed their first Premier League test with flying colours – but has warned both there will be no let-up as Newcastle United strive for top flight safety.

Both were top flight debutants at Old Trafford as Newcastle suffered opening night defeat to Manchester United but Williamson, who didn’t play a game for Portsmouth last season, impressed with a resolute display alongside Fabricio Coloccini.

Things were tougher for Perch as he made his bow at right-back but Hughton saw enough to feel confident sending them out against Aston Villa’s flying wingers.

“I was pleased with both of them – particularly Mike. They were up against pretty much the best around and they did well," he said.

“It was a tough one for both of them at Manchester United when they were up against Wayne Rooney, Nani and Dimitar Berbatov but I thought they equipped themselves as well as they could on a tough night.

“Mike made the one mistake which he got away with but other than that I thought he was very comfortable against some great players. The likes of Rooney, Berbatov – their movement is superb and it's a tough night for any defender, especially one making his debut in the Premier League.

“I have no worries about Mike. He is a good player, a good trainer and he only wants to get better. He is the sort of player who takes things in and he will have learned from Monday. I think that both of them will only get better for the experience."

Hughton’s charges were back in training yesterday for the Villa clash and the boss will use the run-up to Sunday’s game to remind them that there is no room for error in the top flight.

Although still smarting from the Manchester United defeat, he believes the foundations for a successful survival fight are in place.

“The disappointment of losing hasn't gone away,” he said. “We don't like to lose any games but the reality is that we always knew it was going to be tough. There will be plenty of clubs beaten at Old Trafford this season and the season starts again for us on Sunday.

“For 33 minutes the performance was everything that I wanted from us. We limited them to a few chances and probably had the best chance, to be honest.

“But I was really disappointed with the timing of the goals. To lose the goal, the most important thing was to get to half-time without conceding another one but we did.

“I think we have to make sure we don't switch off at crucial times like that in future games and that is what I will reminding the players of before the Aston Villa game.”

Exactly.

Really not sure why people take such offence to a manager complimenting a player in public regardless of whether he deserves it or not.

Criticising indvidual players is for the dressing room and the training ground. You criticise a player in public and you create tension, it's happened before and it's never good for the club.