Carroll omitted from England U21s

Walliver

As a few have posted various remarks I will just post one reply. :)

My view on Caroll is that he doesnt (as yet) compare with any of the decent England strikers I have watched down the years. He has also not even got 10 games under his belt as a premiership footballer so its a tad unfair to say that he's suddenly better even that the strikers currently playing for england.

Potential maybe but I thinks it far too early for him to be suddenly getting all the accolades that are flowing his way.

It may just be that I dont see it....... ?

Contrary Tree strikes again. :dunno:

I'm sure he just does it !

What the fucks contrary about that?

You just go against the grain every time.

P.S. He has actually had 11 PL games this season not to mention the handful he played in previous seasons.

Its called a different opinion numb nuts and I did also say it just might be me who doesnt see it :D

The Chelsea manager says....

Ancelotti said: "Carroll is a very good striker. He's young. He has a possibility, if he can work hard, to arrive at the same level as Drogba.

"But they're different players. They are different.

"I think that Drogba has more power and more ability to score different kind of goals.

"Carroll is a header of the ball. He has to improve. He is a fantastic player with his head, controls the long ball well and helps the team to push up. But he has to improve his ability to score."

Now I know he answers he is a question regarding Drogba, but the sort of things he is saying are the sort of things im getting at.

Again...... I am not anti Carroll just think that everyone especially the media is getting a bit carried away with a young lad who hast even played a full season in the premiership.

Hope he does become the dogs bollocks.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancelloti is comparing him to one of the best strikers in the premierships history. Of course he is going to need improvement when pared up against him, Drogba is immense. Time is well on Carroll's side. Players should play for England and be picked for England down to form, and at the moment there isnt a striker in better form than Carroll.

Ancelloti is comparing him to one of the best strikers in the premierships history. Of course he is going to need improvement when pared up against him, Drogba is immense. Time is well on Carroll's side. Players should play for England and be picked for England down to form, and at the moment there isnt a striker in better form than Carroll.

getaway... :dunno:

getaway... :dunno:

If we're talking Premiership only he's up there.

Sadly it doesn't work that way at all or Darren Bent would have went to the World Cup. 24 goals and didn't get given a chance for England. The big name players will always be preferred over a lower profile striker in shit hot form.

I'm sorry, but Darren Bent had his chance and messed it up by playing shite. Granted, it was against one of the best teams in the world.

Always looked like a striker than couldn't cut it at International level, until this season.

I'm sorry, but Darren Bent had his chance and messed it up by playing shite. Granted, it was against one of the best teams in the world.

Always looked like a striker than couldn't cut it at International level, until this season.

Was given 45 minutes (iirc) against Brazil, with an England B side out. He's never been given a proper chance to prove it at international level. Came on for 20 minutes or something against Switzerland and scored with a great finish. For some reason he isn't deemed good enough for England because "all he does is score goals". A player than can score 24 goals for an average Sunderland side in the Premier League (scoring against all 'top 4' clubs) can definitely make the step up to the international stage, it's not like we're playing a different sport in domestic football compared to international. Capello only watched him once or twice too.

We're the only country in the world that would even consider leaving such a proven goalscorer completely out of the squad (and especially the World Cup squad).

Darren Bent is the only striker from the major European leagues to score more than 20 league goals during the season and not make the plane to South Africa. From the top divisions in England, Spain, Italy and Germany, 12 players from World Cup-bound nations broke the 20-goal mark for the campaign but Bent was the only one disappointed.

Mad, I feel for Darren, he's clearly a good lad and deserved his call up more than anyone else on that plane.

Anyway, lets see how Carroll does (provided he starts) against France. If he's given the right service he'll tear them apart in the air. When is the game anyway? I haven't paid much attention to it tbh.

He has also not even got 10 games under his belt as a premiership footballer

:dunno:

As much as i like the idea he's scored 10 Premier League goals in less than 10 games, the truth is it's taken him 34 games....

06/07 - 4 Premier league games - 0 goals

07/08 - 4 Premier league games - 0 goals

08/09 - 14 Premier league games - 3 goals

10/11 - 12 Premier league games - 7 goals

Played well and scored despite a distinct lack of service or a cohesive team display. Interesting that someone who doesn't particular rate him is also confident about our doing quite well this season. It's almost like they're being contrary for the sake of it :dunno:

Edited by alex

Was given 45 minutes (iirc) against Brazil, with an England B side out. He's never been given a proper chance to prove it at international level. Came on for 20 minutes or something against Switzerland and scored with a great finish. For some reason he isn't deemed good enough for England because "all he does is score goals". A player than can score 24 goals for an average Sunderland side in the Premier League (scoring against all 'top 4' clubs) can definitely make the step up to the international stage, it's not like we're playing a different sport in domestic football compared to international. Capello only watched him once or twice too.

We're the only country in the world that would even consider leaving such a proven goalscorer completely out of the squad (and especially the World Cup squad).

Darren Bent is the only striker from the major European leagues to score more than 20 league goals during the season and not make the plane to South Africa. From the top divisions in England, Spain, Italy and Germany, 12 players from World Cup-bound nations broke the 20-goal mark for the campaign but Bent was the only one disappointed.

Mad, I feel for Darren, he's clearly a good lad and deserved his call up more than anyone else on that plane.

Anyway, lets see how Carroll does (provided he starts) against France. If he's given the right service he'll tear them apart in the air. When is the game anyway? I haven't paid much attention to it tbh.

Bent should've gone to the WC without a doubt.

Played well and scored despite a distinct lack of service or a cohesive team display. Interesting that someone who doesn't particular rate him is also confident about our doing quite well this season. It's almost like they're being contrary for the sake of it :dunno:

Ahem, ahem :D Lets not re-write history.... I never said I didnt rate him, just that the englands no 1 patter is over the top and he is nowhere near as good YET as a lot of the strikers I have enjoyed watching over the last 25 years.

You said he's nowhere near what you class as good Newcastle strikers tbh so I'm hardly stretching it when I suggest you don't particularly rate him and you also insinuated he hasn't done much so far with your comments.

Edited by alex

You said he's nowhere near what you class as good Newcastle strikers tbh so I'm hardly stretching it when I suggest you don't particularly rate him.

Compared to good newcastle strikers such as Shearer, Ferdinand, Andy Cole etc is what I said. :dunno: Again, doesnt mean he wont become as good in time.

Based on what you've said in this thread it would appear you don't rate him. Do you rate him or not?

I rate him as a good young prospect (as I did when I saw him at that reserves match, remember :D )

As yet I dont think he compares anywhere close to the players I have mentioned above.

I think he does some things well now, but to be Englands no 1 or compare with the Newcastle strikers of the past, he needs to start scoring different types of goals such as screamers from outside the box, runs into the box with a goal at the end of it, etc etc.

I dont think Im saying anything bizzare tbf :dunno:

Just doesn't tally with your being confident we'll do well/or even ok this year, hence the initial comment. You're basically saying he isn't all that (yet) but I'd argue he's easily the best striker at the club and I don't think that's even open to debate. We've got a young kid who is nowhere near the finished article as the no. 3 striker and he could be even higher than that seeing as Shola seems to have reverted to type.

Just doesn't tally with your being confident we'll do well/or even ok this year, hence the initial comment. You're basically saying he isn't all that (yet) but I'd argue he's easily the best striker at the club and I don't think that's even open to debate. We've got a young kid who is nowhere near the finished article as the no. 3 striker and he could be even higher than that seeing as Shola seems to have reverted to type.

He is and thats not good. He is 21 and should be playing alongside a seasoned pro who would be helping him develop his game. As it is its hard to see how he will get that development.