Carroll omitted from England U21s

Walliver

Andy Carroll may be on the verge of a full England call-up after he was left out of the under-21 squad to play in a key European Championship play-off.

With Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Bobby Zamora injured, 21-year-old Newcastle forward Carroll could make England boss Fabio Capello's squad.

Capello's men, who have won their opening two Euro 2012 qualifiers, play Montenegro at Wembley on 12 October.

The England Under-21s face Romania in a double-header on 8 and 12 October.

However, Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere and team-mate Kieran Gibbs, who plays at left-back, were named in the under-21 party as was Manchester City defender Micah Richards.

Carroll has impressed in his debut Premier League season, scoring four times in six appearances, including a hat-trick against Aston Villa.

Montenegro have also won their opening two qualifiers, but England top the Group G on goal difference.

England squad for Uefa Under-21 Championship play-off against Romania at Carrow Road on October 8 and October 12 in Botosani:

F Fielding (Blackburn), S Loach (Watford), A Smithies (Huddersfield) J Steele (Middlesbrough); R Bertrand (Chelsea), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jones (Blackburn), M Kelly (Liverpool), M Mancienne (Chelsea), M Richards (Manchester City), C Smalling (Manchester United), K Walker (Tottenham); M Albrighton (Aston Villa), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Chelsea), J Henderson (Sunderland), H Lansbury (Arsenal), F Muamba (Bolton), D Rose (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal); N Delfouneso (Aston Villa), D Sturridge (Chelsea), D Welbeck (Manchester United).

From the Beeb.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't think so, and i wouldn't agree with it either. He needs time to develop and a full season in the prem showing he is up to it before England should come calling and of course mainly because he'll inevitably get injured playing for them and we'll suffer!

Or he'll be given a chance too early, be heaped with pressure, will underperform and everyone will write him off.

this :wub:

Its for a game against Montenegro ffs - MONTENEGRO!!

Heaped with pressure bollocks. If by any chance he does get picked he will have a fucking riot. I know England are over hyped and over rated, but he will still be getting a quality of service he will only have dreamed about playing for our mob. Those poor fuckers wouldnt know what had hit them (especially if they've been texting his missus on the sly)

Put a few bob on the price for the inevitable transfer at the end of the season (January window?) as well

I think the court case is too close for an England call up.

"Newcastle striker gets 6 months" is a far preferable headline to the FA than "England star gets banged up"

But if he did get banged up after playing for England.

He would still be labelled "Newcastle" :wub:

He's shouldn't really be good enough yet for International football, but Rooney, Cole, Crouch etc being out of form doesn't really help. Bent is pretty much the only one who deserves a starting spot.

He's shouldn't really be good enough yet for International football, but Rooney, Cole, Crouch etc being out of form doesn't really help. Bent is pretty much the only one who deserves a starting spot.

Don't give a fuck about who deserves what. The earlier he starts playing with the full side the more experience and ideas hie'll get, that's all that I give a shit about really. :wub:

Don't give a fuck about who deserves what. The earlier he starts playing with the full side the more experience and ideas hie'll get, that's all that I give a shit about really. :wub:

Or he'll turn up, have one of those games where he does fuck all, and get slated by the press for not being good enough.

Don't give a fuck about who deserves what. The earlier he starts playing with the full side the more experience and ideas hie'll get, that's all that I give a shit about really. :icon_lol:

Or he'll turn up, have one of those games where he does fuck all, and get slated by the press for not being good enough.

People worry about he press too much. It's called Newcastle syndrome these days apparently. :wub:

The earlier he plays with the big boys the better.

He'll have 6 months of "playing with the big boys" soon :wub:

His rearguard action is already pretty good, but I suppose it might make him stronger in the tackle.

On and off the pitch, the 21-year-old insists (and some observers say it is about time) that he is learning, and growing up. But is he really a changed man ready for the glare of England duty?

He has a message for England boss Fabio Capello.

“I will face up any challenge that is thrown at me and give it my best shot,” Carroll said.

“What exactly have I learned in the last year? Certainly to settle myself down off the field. On the field - to concentrate more and keep working. That is what I have been doing and I think it has shown.

“I have settled down, yeah. I have been trying, and I think it helped me last season, and this season. I think I have matured a bit.

“I have some good lads around us, helping me a lot. Chris (Hughton) and Colin (Calderwood, the coach) are always telling me what is right and wrong. So obviously I am learning every day.

“I know what the key is – I just have to keep my head down and keep working.”

Is he ready? He has been toughened up by loan spells at Preston and a season spearheading the United attack in the Championship, against some brutal centre halves, scoring 19 goals.

Carroll added: “What if I’m thrown in with England to do a job? Whatever is in front of me, I will have a go at.

“I have to wait and see what happens. If I get picked, I get picked. I also have my job to do here at Newcastle but everyone wants to play for their country. If I get a call-up, great, if not I concentrate on myself.

“I feel good at the moment. Last season helped a lot, playing week in week out, with added responsibility of being a regular and with great lads around me. The manager has done a great job bringing everyone together as a team, and that helped me as well.

“It is tougher this season, getting the No.9. It has history and some brilliant striker have worn it, but it was something I wanted. People say I earned the shirt but I didn’t. I had to go in and ask for it.”

Carroll is a hit with the United fans, who love his swashbuckling style, yet he has yet to win over his gran.

He joked: “She still hasn’t come round. She doesn’t like anything to do with Newcastle. She wanted me at Sunderland!”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...icle592635.html

WOR AND PEACE FOR KING CARROLL

Bust-up with Pearce but new deal for striker

By Neil Ashton & Martin Hardy, 02/10/2010

ANDY CARROLL'S first England call-up is in jeopardy after a bust-up with Under-21 chief Stuart Pearce.

Carroll has been named in Fabio Capello's 30-man provisional squad to face Montenegro in nine days' time but his place is under threat after a row with Psycho.

The Newcastle striker infuriated Pearce when he pulled out of the Under-21s' European Championship clash with Portugal last month.

Carroll suffered an ankle injury and was substituted during Newcastle's 1-1 draw with Wolves on August 28.

He had been expected to join up with Pearce's kids on the Monday but his ankle was still too sore.

Carroll was assessed by Newcastle physio Derek Wright, who also doubles as the Under-21s' medic, and informed Pearce he was not fit to travel.

Pearce insisted he made his way down to meet the squad for another assessment - but Carroll, 21, maintained his ankle was too sore to travel.

England manager Capello is looking to continue his team's 100 per cent start to their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign but would not be drawn on Carroll's selection for the Group C tussle.

He said: "I have to speak with Stuart Pearce before deciding on Carroll. I met with Pearce and he told me there was a problem. I heard he had this 'injury'. We will see."

But Carroll, who faces Manchester City today, is already celebrating one major coup - a new £6million contract with Newcastle.

The striker boasts four goals already this season and his impressive start has caught the eye of a host of Premier League clubs.

But Carroll has quashed any doubts about his future by clinching a deal to stay at St James' Park until 2014.

His new contract will quadruple his existing package and earn him around £30,000 a week.

Carroll has repeatedly said he never wanted to leave his hometown club.

He signed a new deal only 18 months ago but club chiefs were keen to reward the 6ft 5in hotshot after his 17-goal haul helped take Newcastle out of the Championship last season and back to the big-time. The four-year contract is seen as a signal of the Toon's intent to hold on to their rising stars.

And it is not the first time Carroll has been at the centre of a tug of war.

Ironically, Pearce was sent to Tyneside twice by Capello to assess the hitman's international credentials - and also keep him out of the clutches of Scotland.

New Scottish chief Craig Levein was interested in Carroll's availability north of the border.

Back in May, Levein admitted: "I'm dead keen to get Andy involved with Scotland. His grandparents have Scottish blood.

"He is a smashing player and somebody who I feel would be a great asset to the Scottish national team.

"I am not saying it is impossible but it would be very difficult for him to break into the England side and we would like him to come on board with us."

The attention was hardly surprising given Carroll's aerial dominance, physical strength and mean left foot.

But the Newcastle striker was not taking the bait and gave Pearce the answer he was looking for.

Days later, a letter arrived from the FA. Carroll was told he was in the provisional 40-man squad for the World Cup finals.

It was highly unlikely he would be needed but Carroll was impressed.

Five years earlier, the picture had been far less clear. Carroll was a jack of all trades at Low Fell Juniors.

They played him everywhere - left-back, left midfield, centre-half.

This was a seriously rough diamond. Only when he joined the Geordies at 16 was there a life-changing moment. Former Newcastle left-back Kenny Wharton was in charge at the academy and turned him into a target man.

Toon legend Peter Beardsley, also a club coach at the time, said: "It has been incredible, the rise and rise of his stock.

"We brought him in as a left-back and Kenny converted him to a centre-forward.

"From what we've seen so far, you wouldn't bet against him playing for England."

It was also apparent that Carroll was going to take some looking after.

Tellingly, a report from a scout watching the striker in September 2006 hit the mark. It read: "Carroll looks to have a nasty streak which isn't a bad thing as long as it is channelled."

They were prophetic words. At 19, he had a caution for assault following an incident near Newcastle's Bigg Market.

Next came a training-ground fight with Charles N'Zogbia and then the much reported bust-up with team-mate Steven Taylor that left the latter with a fractured jaw.

On top of that is a court case later this month.

Understandably, boss Chris Hughton is cautious about Carroll's progress.

Hughton said: "He won't get carried away with the attention. It's how he handles the highs and lows because it is a particular position where even the most wonderful goalscorers have had barren spells. Look at Wayne Rooney.

"The fact that people have spoken about Andy gaining a call-up to the full squad is a reflection on how he has started the season.

"That's got to be something that's really pleasing for him but at this moment I see him as an Under-21 player.

"He doesn't have fear. He's a young player who's prepared to listen and learn. However, he's nowhere near the finished article."

NOTW