Carroll omitted from England U21s

Walliver

Seamus Coleman will never amount to anything because he's dirty, same with Rodwell who's been said to enjoy a bit of a party. They will probably both be in ruins in a year.

:suicide:

Haha erm yeah I guess I missed those stories...

Jose Baxter who broke all sorts of scoring records at youth level is another kettle of fish though... fell in with the wrong crowd, likes a drink and was in a car that got pulled over where the driver had fake cash and lots of weed on him.

Strangely enough his progress has stalled over the last 2 years and he's fallen way down the pecking order after being seen as the next one who'd come through the ranks prior to that.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose Baxter who broke all sorts of scoring records at youth level

Carroll made his debut in the UEFA cup when he was 17 and has since progressed massively.

Jack Wilshere was arrested the other month, no smoke without fire...

Alan Shearer would swing the odd punch...

My biggest concern re: Carroll is his always being out on the piss.

Yeah this is what leads to the rest of the problems with a lot of players... it also massively impares your performance as an athlete especially if abused over several years.

I'm not saying all footballers should be saints, or that indeed many are... however i'm sure the likes of usain Bolt aren't pissed half of the time.

Jose Baxter who broke all sorts of scoring records at youth level

Carroll made his debut in the UEFA cup when he was 17 and has since progressed massively.

Jack Wilshere was arrested the other month, no smoke without fire...

Alan Shearer would swing the odd punch...

How many of the players you've highlighted were in trouble for a sucssion of these in a short space of time though?

I'd compare Carroll to Barton when he first started going off the rails rather than Shearer tbf

Yeah this is what leads to the rest of the problems with a lot of players... it also massively impares your performance as an athlete especially if abused over several years.

I'm not saying all footballers should be saints, or that indeed many are... however i'm sure the likes of usain Bolt aren't pissed half of the time.

Even Michael Phelps enjoys the odd toke :suicide:

Even Michael Phelps enjoys the odd toke :suicide:

Haha isn't there an urban myth that it increases your lung capacity? He was just training thats all :D

Even Michael Phelps enjoys the odd toke :D

Haha isn't there an urban myth that it increases your lung capacity? He was just training thats all :razz:

By that logic I could be an Olympic swimmper! :suicide:

Carroll doesn't have the right temperament or mind set to be a top player.

Yes he's had a good start but he'll never achieve his potential. Its a shame that bright, young and promising talents have such a poor appreciation of what it takes to be an athlete, and in this day and age thats what they have to be.

Also players who act the big I am dont develop and continue to progress throughout their careers... the very top pro's are still learning the game at 25 and beyond... to just turn up thinking your amazing doesnt work for very long. Its no surprise that the likes of Scholes, Giggs and the Neville brothers have all had such long and fruitful careers, whereas the likes of Barton have never achieved what their raw talents could have allowed them to had they lived a better life.

Talent will carry you so far, but without the mental capacity to become a top pro then you'll never become a world class player... should Carroll play for England... based on current form maybe, but if building for the future than Carroll wont (IMO) progress much beyond his current ability and so for that reason I dont see the point in him being picked.

There's plenty of players who have burst on to the scene only to fade in to obscurity... Is Carroll going to be the next Duncan Ferguson, or just one in a long line of Franny Jeffers? I wouldn't want to bet my life savings on the former thats for sure!

Strong statement that when even Wenger admits he was wrong about how much progres he would make in the last 12 months. If he continues to progress at the rate he has for the last 12 months (not sure how you would be up on that as a toffee) for the next 2 years, he will be a phenomenal player.

He was poor for the first 3 months of last season and then started to get it together, improving rapidly towards the end of the season. He has continued that progress this season.

Statements casting doubt on his progress are therefore a load of codswallop.

Sorry what I meant was that he wont continue to develop... there are plenty of players who develop to a certain level and then stop due to their mentality not being what it should be.... hence the comment about Scholes etc still learning the game and improving well on in their careers.

He has obviously developed from last year else he'd not have the goals or some of the performances he as done this season... my point was that will he continue to develop at the rate he has been, or just stop, as he will believe he has already made it?

Its a good question and one which i'm sure everyone of us lot would love to be answered with a resounding yes. It does seem that his recent troubles have not in any way affected his form with goals coming literally the same day as appearing in on the front pages and superb performances following court appearances, a frequent occurence this term.

John Terry was probably worse than Carroll at his age and he continued to progress to the highest level, as Meenz says, there is very little evidence to suggest that these things affect a players development. Its a natural fear for most coaches and fans as focus and dedication are the secret to improved performance.

Personally i buy into none of the shit written about Rooney, Barton, Carroll or any of the rest of them. The gap between public perception and the reality of people's lives can not be transcended through the media. Its all a fiction that follows the same 'titillation narrative' which deliberately or not, stupefies the masses. Dont be part of the problem andy :suicide:

Carroll doesn't have the right temperament or mind set to be a top player.

Yes he's had a good start but he'll never achieve his potential. Its a shame that bright, young and promising talents have such a poor appreciation of what it takes to be an athlete, and in this day and age thats what they have to be.

Also players who act the big I am dont develop and continue to progress throughout their careers... the very top pro's are still learning the game at 25 and beyond... to just turn up thinking your amazing doesnt work for very long. Its no surprise that the likes of Scholes, Giggs and the Neville brothers have all had such long and fruitful careers, whereas the likes of Barton have never achieved what their raw talents could have allowed them to had they lived a better life.

Talent will carry you so far, but without the mental capacity to become a top pro then you'll never become a world class player... should Carroll play for England... based on current form maybe, but if building for the future than Carroll wont (IMO) progress much beyond his current ability and so for that reason I dont see the point in him being picked.

There's plenty of players who have burst on to the scene only to fade in to obscurity... Is Carroll going to be the next Duncan Ferguson, or just one in a long line of Franny Jeffers? I wouldn't want to bet my life savings on the former thats for sure!

Strong statement that when even Wenger admits he was wrong about how much progres he would make in the last 12 months. If he continues to progress at the rate he has for the last 12 months (not sure how you would be up on that as a toffee) for the next 2 years, he will be a phenomenal player.

He was poor for the first 3 months of last season and then started to get it together, improving rapidly towards the end of the season. He has continued that progress this season.

Statements casting doubt on his progress are therefore a load of codswallop.

Sorry what I meant was that he wont continue to develop... there are plenty of players who develop to a certain level and then stop due to their mentality not being what it should be.... hence the comment about Scholes etc still learning the game and improving well on in their careers.

He has obviously developed from last year else he'd not have the goals or some of the performances he as done this season... my point was that will he continue to develop at the rate he has been, or just stop, as he will believe he has already made it?

Its a good question and one which i'm sure everyone of us lot would love to be answered with a resounding yes. It does seem that his recent troubles have not in any way affected his form with goals coming literally the same day as appearing in on the front pages and superb performances following court appearances, a frequent occurence this term.

John Terry was probably worse than Carroll at his age and he continued to progress to the highest level, as Meenz says, there is very little evidence to suggest that these things affect a players development. Its a natural fear for most coaches and fans as focus and dedication are the secret to improved performance.

Personally i buy into none of the shit written about Rooney, Barton, Carroll or any of the rest of them. The gap between public perception and the reality of people's lives can not be transcended through the media. Its all a fiction that follows the same 'titillation narrative' which deliberately or not, stupefies the masses. Dont be part of the problem andy :suicide:

Yeah focus and dedication are very much key to reaching your potential... also professionalism plays a large part too... I agree the media love to make people infamous regardless of the real truth behind the stories, and that the public lap it up... however i'd feel a lot more comfortable if it were one of my team's players if they weren't as well known for their off field antics as much as their on field ones.

As for Rooney... smoking, shagging prozzies etc etc, it doesnt exactly scream professional athlete... he's also not gone on to fulfill the vast potential he showed as a kid, and i'm not convinced thats just a coincidence.

Dont even get me started on Barton lol! Although i'm glad it looks like he's turned himself around!

Hope Carrol does turn into the next Shearer or even somewhere pretty close but I must confess I think the lad is getting a hell of a lot of hype at the minute for not a great deal.

He's had a handful of starts in the Premiership and has scored a few goals, but I honestly cant say Ive seen anything spectactular from him that suddenly thrust him to the forefront of England.

Naturally hope it does all work out for him and us.

Don't think he's naturally gifted in any way resembling how Shearer was (who is tbh?) but his attitude on the pitch and his key strengths are doing the business. I'll be honest and say I never thought he could cut it at this level but I only hope he continues to prove me wrong; I'd be delighted.

Glenn Roeder warns Fabio Capello over Andy Carroll

Former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has urged England boss Fabio Capello to think twice before awarding Magpies striker Andy Carroll his debut.

Roeder warned that the in-form 21-year-old will not fulfil his potential unless he changed his lifestyle.

Carroll's impressive season has been marred by off-field problems.

"I'd select him but I'm not saying he should play. I'm not certain he's sending out great signals to young players," Roeder told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he is picked the signals for me would be 'I can do what I want it doesn't matter, as long as I play well I've got a chance to play for England'. The standards should be much higher than that.

"He's a great lad around the training ground, coaches love working with him, but by living the way he is he's not fulfilling the potential that he could possibly fulfil by having just a bit of a quieter life."

The 6ft 3in Newcastle forward has impressed the likes of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this season and has a strong chance of being picked by Capello for the friendly against France on Wednesday 17 November, especially with fellow strikers Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent injured.

He made his Premier League mark with a hat-trick against Aston Villa and has so far scored six goals in 11 league outings, including Newcastle's winner against Arsenal on Sunday in front of the watching Capello.

But he was ordered to live with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan as part of his bail conditions after an alleged assault charge.

He also pleaded guilty to a separate assault charge after an incident at a Newcastle nightclub and was fined £1,000.

Carroll's former England Under-21 team-mate and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott believes the Newcastle striker will get his international chance "sooner rather than later".

"He's shown he can do it in the Premier League and he's a fantastic prospect," Walcott told BBC Sport.

"He's a handful to play against and I'm sure if he gets the opportunity he will take it with both hands."

Newcastle team-mate Joey Barton has urged Capello to judge Carroll on his form, saying: "Sometimes you need the players who don't always toe the line.

"Hopefully they will stop worrying about Goody Two Shoes image which the sponsors want for England.

"They need to start picking players to win matches. The frustrating thing for me is that England pick the good guys for the World Cup because they won't cause any problems, but every other national team picks the players who are simply the best in their position.

"I'm not telling Fabio Capello how to do his job, but for me it is a no-brainer to have Andy Carroll in his squad because he has everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/9170019.stm

Glenn Roeder's never allowed Glenn Roeder to have any coke fuelled binges or have any fit birds hum into Glenn Roeder's scrote sack.

Glenn Roeder warns Fabio Capello over Andy Carroll

Former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has urged England boss Fabio Capello to think twice before awarding Magpies striker Andy Carroll his debut.

Roeder warned that the in-form 21-year-old will not fulfil his potential unless he changed his lifestyle.

Carroll's impressive season has been marred by off-field problems.

"I'd select him but I'm not saying he should play. I'm not certain he's sending out great signals to young players," Roeder told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he is picked the signals for me would be 'I can do what I want it doesn't matter, as long as I play well I've got a chance to play for England'. The standards should be much higher than that.

"He's a great lad around the training ground, coaches love working with him, but by living the way he is he's not fulfilling the potential that he could possibly fulfil by having just a bit of a quieter life."

The 6ft 3in Newcastle forward has impressed the likes of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this season and has a strong chance of being picked by Capello for the friendly against France on Wednesday 17 November, especially with fellow strikers Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent injured.

He made his Premier League mark with a hat-trick against Aston Villa and has so far scored six goals in 11 league outings, including Newcastle's winner against Arsenal on Sunday in front of the watching Capello.

But he was ordered to live with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan as part of his bail conditions after an alleged assault charge.

He also pleaded guilty to a separate assault charge after an incident at a Newcastle nightclub and was fined £1,000.

Carroll's former England Under-21 team-mate and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott believes the Newcastle striker will get his international chance "sooner rather than later".

"He's shown he can do it in the Premier League and he's a fantastic prospect," Walcott told BBC Sport.

"He's a handful to play against and I'm sure if he gets the opportunity he will take it with both hands."

Newcastle team-mate Joey Barton has urged Capello to judge Carroll on his form, saying: "Sometimes you need the players who don't always toe the line.

"Hopefully they will stop worrying about Goody Two Shoes image which the sponsors want for England.

"They need to start picking players to win matches. The frustrating thing for me is that England pick the good guys for the World Cup because they won't cause any problems, but every other national team picks the players who are simply the best in their position.

"I'm not telling Fabio Capello how to do his job, but for me it is a no-brainer to have Andy Carroll in his squad because he has everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/9170019.stm

Glenn Roeder's never allowed Glenn Roeder to have any coke fuelled binges or have any fit birds hum into Glenn Roeder's scrote sack.

Glenn Roeder doesn't like talking about other people's booze and coke orgies, but if you see Glenn Roeder hanging around the Nolan household with a bag of class A drugs, a bottle of 20/20 and a raging hard on then you know what Glenn Roeder is there to do.

Hope Carrol does turn into the next Shearer or even somewhere pretty close but I must confess I think the lad is getting a hell of a lot of hype at the minute for not a great deal.

He's had a handful of starts in the Premiership and has scored a few goals, but I honestly cant say Ive seen anything spectactular from him that suddenly thrust him to the forefront of England.

Naturally hope it does all work out for him and us.

Same here but I don't think that's the point. I think it's got more to do with the fact that theres a lack of good English strikers out there.

I think he's been excellent of late, KK reckons he's one of the best headers of a ball he's ever seen and he's a fucking nightmare to play against so I don't see why he shouldn't be there or thereabouts. I agree there is a dearth of English strikers, especially of his ilk, but I don't think it's just a case of the competition for a place being shit.

I think he's been excellent of late, KK reckons he's one of the best headers of a ball he's ever seen and he's a fucking nightmare to play against so I don't see why he shouldn't be there or thereabouts. I agree there is a dearth of English strikers, especially of his ilk, but I don't think it's just a case of the competition for a place being shit.

But there's been no shot goals from outside the box, no runs and goals from outside the box, it's all being about headers and knock downs.

When you are talking England or good newcastle strikers you have to think of the Shearers ferdinands, andy cole, lineker etc etc. I just don't think he is anywhere near any of them.

Hopefully it will come but I don't see a lot yet to suggest he's not just going to be a Carew or that ilk.

But there's been no shot goals from outside the box, no runs and goals from outside the box, it's all being about headers and knock downs.

When you are talking England or good newcastle strikers you have to think of the Shearers ferdinands, andy cole, lineker etc etc. I just don't think he is anywhere near any of them.

Hopefully it will come but I don't see a lot yet to suggest he's not just going to be a Carew or that ilk.

Rooney's not scored a goal outside the box for 2 years....

When did Lineker or Andy Cole ever score from outside the box?

That's his game though, headers and knockdowns but he's done more than that of late. What about the run against Sunderland when he showed 4 defenders a clean pair of heels? A last ditch tackle was all the stopped a goal or a penalty. He's different to the type of player Shearer was. The comparison is harsh because you're talking about one of the most complete strikers this country has ever produced and may not see the like of again for some time. Les Ferdinand had more pace and was even better in the air but he was nowhere near as good as Carroll at the same age and didn't come through until much later. Andy Cole was a completely different sort of player and Carroll will do well to be that prolific but he was lightweight and would have worked well with a player like Carroll. Lineker is a strange one to mention though because he was a box player if ever I saw one. He was a classic poacher and he never beat men or score 30-yard screamers. Again though you're talking about one of the best goalscorers this country has ever seen.

Anyway, you don't have to be better than the best English strikers of all-time because, apart from the fact that debate is always so subjective, you only have to be better than your peers. I'm saying he should be there or thereabouts. If you don't think he should be list all the England strikers that should be ahead of him in the squad in your view.

he's still got a lot to do to prove his england class but we're not exactly spoiled for good strikers at the moment.

he's definitely got something about him. he must be a centre half's nightmare, he wins everything in the air but he's shown a decent touch and turn of pace this season too. a good prospect when you look at this age and the fact he came through the ranks.