Carroll omitted from England U21s

Walliver

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Stevie is clearly blinded by his love for Kevin. :lol:

Here we gan :lol: I made a few comments about Colleen Rooney the other week and it was the same.

Allegedly* According to a member of the Junior squad, Carroll was dropped for the Man City game following another training ground bust up, no names have been mentioned but it was an argument that ended before it got too far out of hand seemingly.

Im guessing that "too far out of hand" translates to "before Carroll could get hold of a glass" :(

• 4 weeks later...
Glenn Roeder warns Fabio Capello over Andy Carroll

Former Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has urged England boss Fabio Capello to think twice before awarding Magpies striker Andy Carroll his debut.

Roeder warned that the in-form 21-year-old will not fulfil his potential unless he changed his lifestyle.

Carroll's impressive season has been marred by off-field problems.

"I'd select him but I'm not saying he should play. I'm not certain he's sending out great signals to young players," Roeder told BBC Radio 5 live.

"If he is picked the signals for me would be 'I can do what I want it doesn't matter, as long as I play well I've got a chance to play for England'. The standards should be much higher than that.

"He's a great lad around the training ground, coaches love working with him, but by living the way he is he's not fulfilling the potential that he could possibly fulfil by having just a bit of a quieter life."

The 6ft 3in Newcastle forward has impressed the likes of Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this season and has a strong chance of being picked by Capello for the friendly against France on Wednesday 17 November, especially with fellow strikers Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent injured.

He made his Premier League mark with a hat-trick against Aston Villa and has so far scored six goals in 11 league outings, including Newcastle's winner against Arsenal on Sunday in front of the watching Capello.

But he was ordered to live with Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan as part of his bail conditions after an alleged assault charge.

He also pleaded guilty to a separate assault charge after an incident at a Newcastle nightclub and was fined £1,000.

Carroll's former England Under-21 team-mate and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott believes the Newcastle striker will get his international chance "sooner rather than later".

"He's shown he can do it in the Premier League and he's a fantastic prospect," Walcott told BBC Sport.

"He's a handful to play against and I'm sure if he gets the opportunity he will take it with both hands."

Newcastle team-mate Joey Barton has urged Capello to judge Carroll on his form, saying: "Sometimes you need the players who don't always toe the line.

"Hopefully they will stop worrying about Goody Two Shoes image which the sponsors want for England.

"They need to start picking players to win matches. The frustrating thing for me is that England pick the good guys for the World Cup because they won't cause any problems, but every other national team picks the players who are simply the best in their position.

"I'm not telling Fabio Capello how to do his job, but for me it is a no-brainer to have Andy Carroll in his squad because he has everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/9170019.stm

Carroll doesn't have the right temperament or mind set to be a top player.

Yes he's had a good start but he'll never achieve his potential. Its a shame that bright, young and promising talents have such a poor appreciation of what it takes to be an athlete, and in this day and age thats what they have to be.

Also players who act the big I am dont develop and continue to progress throughout their careers... the very top pro's are still learning the game at 25 and beyond... to just turn up thinking your amazing doesnt work for very long. Its no surprise that the likes of Scholes, Giggs and the Neville brothers have all had such long and fruitful careers, whereas the likes of Barton have never achieved what their raw talents could have allowed them to had they lived a better life.

Talent will carry you so far, but without the mental capacity to become a top pro then you'll never become a world class player... should Carroll play for England... based on current form maybe, but if building for the future than Carroll wont (IMO) progress much beyond his current ability and so for that reason I dont see the point in him being picked.

There's plenty of players who have burst on to the scene only to fade in to obscurity... Is Carroll going to be the next Duncan Ferguson, or just one in a long line of Franny Jeffers? I wouldn't want to bet my life savings on the former thats for sure!

Its stupid to write someone off when theyre only 21. Apparently when Giggs and Lee Sharpe were younger, they were both getting a little wild, not to the extent of Carroll by any means, but Ferguson went and had a talk with them. Giggs adapted and became who he is, Sharpe basically faded. It is possible to turn it around, and wor Joey seems to be an example of that.

Furthermore, what the fuck do you know about his personality? I assume youre basing this revelation of yours purely on the stuff read in the news and seeing Carroll on the pitch and in interviews. You have no insight into how his mind works that should lead you to this conclusion. And I'd rather have Carroll doing what he is than going about like Stephen Ireland being a twat of the first order.

Edited by JonTheMag

Ajax Andy you clearly havent seen much of Carroll the last few seasons, each season he has progressed and improved and this season is no exception.

Last season he was good, this season he has been brilliant. Leads the line excellently, drives at players and his movement is also seems to be sharper. These are all things that he has improved on in just the course of a season. I wont even go on to mention the things that were better in his game during the season in the championship compared to the relegation season.

Your comment Andy mate smacks of someone who has saw very little of the guy and judges him on media comments only.

Yes he's had a good start but he'll never achieve his potential. Its a shame that bright, young and promising talents have such a poor appreciation of what it takes to be an athlete, and in this day and age thats what they have to be.

Also players who act the big I am dont develop and continue to progress throughout their careers... the very top pro's are still learning the game at 25 and beyond... to just turn up thinking your amazing doesnt work for very long. Its no surprise that the likes of Scholes, Giggs and the Neville brothers have all had such long and fruitful careers, whereas the likes of Barton have never achieved what their raw talents could have allowed them to had they lived a better life.

Talent will carry you so far, but without the mental capacity to become a top pro then you'll never become a world class player... should Carroll play for England... based on current form maybe, but if building for the future than Carroll wont (IMO) progress much beyond his current ability and so for that reason I dont see the point in him being picked.

There's plenty of players who have burst on to the scene only to fade in to obscurity... Is Carroll going to be the next Duncan Ferguson, or just one in a long line of Franny Jeffers? I wouldn't want to bet my life savings on the former thats for sure!

Strong statement that when even Wenger admits he was wrong about how much progres he would make in the last 12 months. If he continues to progress at the rate he has for the last 12 months (not sure how you would be up on that as a toffee) for the next 2 years, he will be a phenomenal player.

He was poor for the first 3 months of last season and then started to get it together, improving rapidly towards the end of the season. He has continued that progress this season.

Statements casting doubt on his progress are therefore a load of codswallop.

Its stupid to write someone off when theyre only 21. Apparently when Giggs and Lee Sharpe were younger, they were both getting a little wild, not to the extent of Carroll by any means, but Ferguson went and had a talk with them. Giggs adapted and became who he is, Sharpe basically faded. It is possible to turn it around, and wor Joey seems to be an example of that.

Furthermore, what the fuck do you know about his personality? I assume youre basing this revelation of yours purely on the stuff read in the news and seeing Carroll on the pitch and in interviews. You have no insight into how his mind works that should lead you to this conclusion. And I'd rather have Carroll doing what he is than going about like Stephen Ireland being a twat of the first order.

Its not really stupid to write someone off at 21... history would show that most players who are in and out of trouble and enjoy a boozy trouble strewed lifestyle dont go on to become top top players. Yeah people can reform their characters, but usually they are the ones who weren't so off the rails to begin with.

Yeah Barton may have turned it round a lot but he missed out on a lot of football and his development has suffered... are you telling me he is the player he could have been?

What do i know about Carrolls personality? Well I dont know the guy but its clear to see he's hardly a shrinking violet... there's a reason he's in the papers and court and its not some sort of journalisitc vendetta against him. 3 assualts, booze and coke fuelled parties... regardless of whether he's dabbled in drugs is irrelevant... trouble follows the lad... this isn't the behaviour of a professional athlete, its the behaviour of someone who thinks he's made it already, and that my freidn spells trouble ahead.

A call up to the England squad now would just further fuel his own self worth and ego... it certainly wouldnt do him any favours thats for sure!

He had loads of talent but he was never a top player because he was always injured. You're right though, I bet Tim Cahill has more top flight goals than Duncan Disorderly.

Edit: @ Tom

Edited by alex

Strong statement that when even Wenger admits he was wrong about how much progres he would make in the last 12 months. If he continues to progress at the rate he has for the last 12 months (not sure how you would be up on that as a toffee) for the next 2 years, he will be a phenomenal player.

He was poor for the first 3 months of last season and then started to get it together, improving rapidly towards the end of the season. He has continued that progress this season.

Statements casting doubt on his progress are therefore a load of codswallop.

Sorry what I meant was that he wont continue to develop... there are plenty of players who develop to a certain level and then stop due to their mentality not being what it should be.... hence the comment about Scholes etc still learning the game and improving well on in their careers.

He has obviously developed from last year else he'd not have the goals or some of the performances he as done this season... my point was that will he continue to develop at the rate he has been, or just stop, as he will believe he has already made it?

Its not really stupid to write someone off at 21... history would show that most players who are in and out of trouble and enjoy a boozy trouble strewed lifestyle dont go on to become top top players. Yeah people can reform their characters, but usually they are the ones who weren't so off the rails to begin with.

Yeah Barton may have turned it round a lot but he missed out on a lot of football and his development has suffered... are you telling me he is the player he could have been?

What do i know about Carrolls personality? Well I dont know the guy but its clear to see he's hardly a shrinking violet... there's a reason he's in the papers and court and its not some sort of journalisitc vendetta against him. 3 assualts, booze and coke fuelled parties... regardless of whether he's dabbled in drugs is irrelevant... trouble follows the lad... this isn't the behaviour of a professional athlete, its the behaviour of someone who thinks he's made it already, and that my freidn spells trouble ahead.

A call up to the England squad now would just further fuel his own self worth and ego... it certainly wouldnt do him any favours thats for sure!

I think you're right in what you say like although he's a good player with plenty potential. He does need to watch himself though.

When I think of Maradona, I think of his charity work tbh.

Maradona is a one off and you can't compare Carroll to him tbf.

However if you do want to use that comparison then can you honestly say Maradona acheived everything he could of in the game? Or did his personality fuck up his career?

Sorry what I meant was that he wont continue to develop... there are plenty of players who develop to a certain level and then stop due to their mentality not being what it should be.... hence the comment about Scholes etc still learning the game and improving well on in their careers.

He has obviously developed from last year else he'd not have the goals or some of the performances he as done this season... my point was that will he continue to develop at the rate he has been, or just stop, as he will believe he has already made it?

Well no, he won't, because you just said he won't in the previous paragraph. Or do you not consider yourself to be a reliable enough source?