Carroll omitted from England U21s

Walliver

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's better than Crouch, yes? In which case the England debate is redundant.

I feel sorry for Crouch... he's a good player and if he wasnt so bucked teeth and gangly people would rate him a lot higher. Very few strikers at international level with a scoring record better than one it 2 would receive such flack.

Yeah he's a bit one dimentional but he's still a very good player.

I feel sorry for Crouch... he's a good player and if he wasnt so bucked teeth and gangly people would rate him a lot higher. Very few strikers at international level with a scoring record better than one it 2 would receive such flack.

I agree re: Crouch. I think purely based on form Carroll should be ahead of him though.

I agree re: Crouch. I think purely based on form Carroll should be ahead of him though.

going on form Crouch has set up a fair amount of goals for a certain someone at the moment.

Crouch has been very poor of late.

Also, a lot of people are saying he's been figured out. He's poor in the air, and only does well against 'lesser international teams' apparently.

I was at the game in SJP when he was with Southampton, and he was excellent that day.

going on form Crouch has set up a fair amount of goals for a certain someone at the moment.

Carroll has got a canny few assists and goals this season though. And I don't think Crouch is anywhere near his best at present. I think picking players for England when they're in form is important if you want to see what they can do. It's a friendly too and that allows for a bit of experimentation. Plus I don't think Capello is Crouch's biggest fan anyway (a tad unfairly imo).

As a few have posted various remarks I will just post one reply. :suicide:

My view on Caroll is that he doesnt (as yet) compare with any of the decent England strikers I have watched down the years. He has also not even got 10 games under his belt as a premiership footballer so its a tad unfair to say that he's suddenly better even that the strikers currently playing for england.

Potential maybe but I thinks it far too early for him to be suddenly getting all the accolades that are flowing his way.

It may just be that I dont see it....... ?

He's basically been unplayable in the vast majority of games he's played this season. I assume Capello would utilise his height in the same way he would Crouch as well and at the moment, Carroll is the more in-form of the two. He's got a bit more pace than Crouch as well as he's ran at defenders a few times this season and skinned them with relative ease. I was a bit skeptical when people were calling for his place after the Villa games but he's been consistently good since August. What more has he got to do for you, CT?

As a few have posted various remarks I will just post one reply. :D

My view on Caroll is that he doesnt (as yet) compare with any of the decent England strikers I have watched down the years. He has also not even got 10 games under his belt as a premiership footballer so its a tad unfair to say that he's suddenly better even that the strikers currently playing for england.

Potential maybe but I thinks it far too early for him to be suddenly getting all the accolades that are flowing his way.

I think we've got the general vibe, CT :suicide:

He has also not even got 10 games under his belt as a premiership footballer

He's played 11 times - once as a sub.

Plus

14 - 2008–09

4 - 2007–08

4 - 2006–07

According to Wiki. But I believe most of them will be subs appearances.

He's basically been unplayable in the vast majority of games he's played this season. I assume Capello would utilise his height in the same way he would Crouch as well and at the moment, Carroll is the more in-form of the two. He's got a bit more pace than Crouch as well as he's ran at defenders a few times this season and skinned them with relative ease. I was a bit skeptical when people were calling for his place after the Villa games but he's been consistently good since August. What more has he got to do for you, CT?

Just havent seen anything that makes me think wow, englands no 1.

Doesnt even begin to excite me as some of the players I have watched down the years.

Im not trying to be awkward or contrary (Alex :suicide: ) I just honestly dont see it yet and think he's got a long way to go to prove himself as a premiership striker never mind englands no 1.

With regard to what he has to do for me.....

Score lots of goals from all sorts of positions , ie the types of goals as yet I havent seen him scoring. I would also like to start getting that wow feeling I get when the likes of Tiote or Barton have the ball.

I havent seen anything yet that make him stand out as more towards the Shearer end of the scale than the Carew end of the scale.

As a few have posted various remarks I will just post one reply. :razz:

I think we've got the general vibe, CT :suicide:

Fuck off :D Just got back from Town and there were a few comments like yours asking questions. Trying to catch up on the forum, get the young un to sleep and find out if the game is on.

That's fair enough, CT. I felt the same way (like A NICE HAT) when he was linked with a call-up earlier. Like I said though, you only have to get ahead of your peers, not the best of all time. Plus he's been awesome lately imo. And I mean that. And I'm not exactly prone to heaping praise on players prematurely.

When comparing Carroll to Crouch it should be noted that Crouch is actually quite a poor header of the ball, whereas heading is Carroll's outstanding quality. He has the drive Shearer had in that regard, to get to the ball first when it's in the air. That would be one of the only things he has in common with Shearer as a player though imo. It seems to be a very rare quality these days as well, hence his effectiveness and the struggle to defend against him.

He doesn't have to be England's number 1 to get in the squad, he can be anything between one to six I imagine.

Who is England's number one and how's he getting on?

Contrary Tree strikes again. :dunno:

I'm sure he just does it !

What the fucks contrary about that?

I think he's been excellent of late, KK reckons he's one of the best headers of a ball he's ever seen and he's a fucking nightmare to play against so I don't see why he shouldn't be there or thereabouts. I agree there is a dearth of English strikers, especially of his ilk, but I don't think it's just a case of the competition for a place being shit.

But there's been no shot goals from outside the box, no runs and goals from outside the box, it's all being about headers and knock downs.

When you are talking England or good newcastle strikers you have to think of the Shearers ferdinands, andy cole, lineker etc etc. I just don't think he is anywhere near any of them.

Hopefully it will come but I don't see a lot yet to suggest he's not just going to be a Carew or that ilk.

When did Lineker or Andy Cole ever score from outside the box?

Shame the compilation is Man U but its the first one showing on youtube and answers your question several times... :dunno:

Doesnt even begin to excite me as some of the players I have watched down the years.

Im not trying to be awkward or contrary (Alex :dunno: ) I just honestly dont see it yet and think he's got a long way to go to prove himself as a premiership striker never mind englands no 1.

With regard to what he has to do for me.....

Score lots of goals from all sorts of positions , ie the types of goals as yet I havent seen him scoring. I would also like to start getting that wow feeling I get when the likes of Tiote or Barton have the ball.

I havent seen anything yet that make him stand out as more towards the Shearer end of the scale than the Carew end of the scale.

Fair enough and I agree, this could turn out to be a purple patch in the long term career but I'm of the opinion you should strike when the iron is hot when it comes to international selections. Even if he doesn't recapture the form in future, you'll have utilised it when it was here.

What the fucks contrary about that?

You just go against the grain every time.

P.S. He has actually had 11 PL games this season not to mention the handful he played in previous seasons.