Joey Barton

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone said it somewhere else, but the fact that he's playing out of position on the right and yet is still turning in excellent performances is testament not only to him having turned the corner but shows that for once we have a proper team who respect the vision of the manager.

He worked very well with Simpson I thought, with Tiote also offering a passing option inside. If Simpson can play like he did in this game every week then we won't have a problem at right back.

Loved the cheeky backheel to Simpson.

Aye that was class. Especially the way he didn't even bother looking back after he'd done it.

Hahaha aye that was funny as fuck to be fair.

Cool as you like.

Gemmill's head is big enough without that sort of compliment.

With Capello's mate at the match yesterday to see Shola, Carroll, Nolan and Barton play out of their skins I wonder if any of them will make the next squad in 10 days? Probably just see the same old underachievers getting a run out instead.

Total contrast to Cattermole who looked like he would snap at any minute and punch someone!

We were saying before the match that someone should kick Cattermole straight away because I knew he'd lose it. As it turned out it didn't need that as he was mental from the off.

And I thought the three of Barton, Nolan and Tiote just completely destroyed their midfield five. Nolan had his best game for us (even without the goals) but Barton was superb.

Smashing performance, however for me not the MotM, that I would have said was Nolan, just for his goals.

Its nice to see that he has turned a corner though. I was at the Man City away match when they hammered us on the eve of Sourness getting sacked. His performance that night for Citeh was similar to yesterdays. Faultless.

Some of Joey's passing and crossing has been almost Beckham-esque the vision and precision. If it wasnt for his checkered past he would definetly be in contetion for an England friendly squad atleast. I doubt though, because of his past he will ever be seen in an England shirt again, shame like.

The full midfield and the attacking two were all MOTM for me, couldnt fault any of them.

"As long as there's heads on pillows and nothing untoward goes on, which can happen, its fine.

It's important the players have a good night, but you have to set the boundaries"

:icon_lol:

Made me laugh anyway. JB in the Chronicle today.

I think an unforeseen consequence of him not playing in central midfield is he doesn'thave to put himself about so much or win so many tackles. I think he was being hampered by his reputation playing in the middle and he seemed to be getting a raw deal of the ref. On the wing he is a bit out of the melee which has let his ability show through a bit moe.

Not sure i this makes any sense but hey ho

I think an unforeseen consequence of him not playing in central midfield is he doesn'thave to put himself about so much or win so many tackles. I think he was being hampered by his reputation playing in the middle and he seemed to be getting a raw deal of the ref. On the wing he is a bit out of the melee which has let his ability show through a bit moe.

Not sure i this makes any sense but hey ho

Nah, I think that's a good point, actually.

Aye i'd agree with that Spongebob. He did pick the ball up centrally and left a few times last week but only when we were attacking down the left. When we didnt have the ball he was wide(ish) right which as you say keeps him out the melee in the centre.

Yeah, keeping him out in wider areas helps to keep him out of the muck that can happen in the middle of the pitch. He honestly seems much more level headed and calm now, but deep down we know he's potentially a bad tackle away from doing something stupid so the less likely he is to get involved in hard play the better.

Edited by OzToonFan

Just occurred to me today, half through the match, that Im no longer watching our games EXPECTING Joey to make a stupid tackle and get booked / sent off.

Not so long a go you would watch him tackle from behind the sofa but now he really seems to have got to grips with his game.

Love to see him and Carrol get the nod for England