Obafemi Martins

JonTheMag

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would bring pace and the unexpected to our strike force though Gemmill...

Yeah nobody would be anticipating his runs across the halfway line, all the while trying to bring the ball under control. You're right about that. Lets get him back for that and his tantrums after he wellied another shot into some poor twat's face in the Gallowgate.

:lol:

fwiw I wouldn't have him back at all. Waste of time and money

I'd take him back 100%. He was the only player i would look forward to watching last season in the prem and for those who think our team is a lot better this time round think again. If we had lost to sunderland, i can assure you many of the above views would be different. Its not martins' fault that he had to play alongside 2 of the most horrendous players in the world (owen and shola). If that wasnt bad enough, he was having to resort to expecting through balls from nicky butt and alan smith. Fuck that. I genuinely reckon with barton on form to provide the crosses/thruballs and carrol to knock them down for the striker, obafemi would be a different player.

2009–2010 Wolfsburg 16 (6)

2010– Rubin Kazan 11 (2)

dont just throw random stats. They dont mean jack. Fair enough hes not a prolific goal scorer but hes better than ranger and ameobi combined.

He only started 7 games for Wolfsburg and yet still managed 6 goals.

He's started 8 games for rubin kazan and scored 2. Bare in mind he only joined them this season so you cant expect him to start firing on all cylinders. Plus hes still young so has time to develop his game :icon_lol:

I'd take him back 100%. He was the only player i would look forward to watching last season in the prem and for those who think our team is a lot better this time round think again. If we had lost to sunderland, i can assure you many of the above views would be different. Its not martins' fault that he had to play alongside 2 of the most horrendous players in the world (owen and shola). If that wasnt bad enough, he was having to resort to expecting through balls from nicky butt and alan smith. Fuck that. I genuinely reckon with barton on form to provide the crosses/thruballs and carrol to knock them down for the striker, obafemi would be a different player.

2009–2010 Wolfsburg 16 (6)

2010– Rubin Kazan 11 (2)

dont just throw random stats. They dont mean jack. Fair enough hes not a prolific goal scorer but hes better than ranger and ameobi combined.

He only started 7 games for Wolfsburg and yet still managed 6 goals.

He's started 8 games for rubin kazan and scored 2. Bare in mind he only joined them this season so you cant expect him to start firing on all cylinders. Plus hes still young so has time to develop his game :icon_lol:

Shut up harry helmet.

Makes no sense. He's old, inconsistent and he's a mercenary who wouldn't fit well in our side.

I'm hoping they're just having a laugh.

I'm getting fed up of people slating Shola: He's been a good servant to the club, played through injury a lot and has been happy - despite his immense talent - to play second fiddle to the main strikers at the club. I'm not the type to slate the likes of Harper and Shola for sticking with us while there have been better players ahead of them, I'm glad for the loyalty. All this talk of Ranger being better is absolute garbage; Ranger should go on loan in the Championship for a season to develop, meanwhile the Carroll/Ameobi/Nolan three-pronged attack is looking more deadly than ever.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I think I got taken in by his occasional bouts of the spectacular, but on balance he really wasn't very good. His attributes (pace, strength, powerful shot) might lead you to think he was an "unpredictable threat" or some such, but after watching him miscontrol or just lose the ball, run laterally, blast shots out into the stratosphere, miss easy chances you begin to see that he's more of an athlete than a footballer. Oh yes, and a stroppy mercenary. Wouldn't touch him and would honestly rather have Shola at this point.

as for my my pro Martins anti Owen rants,... because martins cost half as much, got paid less, scored more goals, played more games, all in a shorter period of time, not to mention the fact we actually sold martins for almost what we paid unlike Owen.

Clearly i was mental to think that was better

They were both absolutely wank and not even worth a fraction we paid for either of them. Martins isn't excused any more because he played more and we recouped more money for him.

Both were a fundamental part of the side that got relegated and Martins in particular was clearly not arsed in any of the games of the run in.

Good riddance to the pair of them.

I'm getting fed up of people slating Shola: He's been a good servant to the club, played through injury a lot and has been happy - despite his immense talent - to play second fiddle to the main strikers at the club. I'm not the type to slate the likes of Harper and Shola for sticking with us while there have been better players ahead of them, I'm glad for the loyalty. All this talk of Ranger being better is absolute garbage; Ranger should go on loan in the Championship for a season to develop, meanwhile the Carroll/Ameobi/Nolan three-pronged attack is looking more deadly than ever.

I'm sure he's glad to have your support after only 10 years.

I think he'd do better than his first time at us as having a tall target man like carroll beside him nodding balls onto him would give him more chances.

Not convinced, his football brain was inactive. He made bad runs, used his pace particularly badly and his attitude stank.

No thanks

:lol: Aye you're probably right was just trying to think of a positive for any idea of bringing him back but tbh he was a heap of shit. fwiw I'd never want him back for his attitude from when we went down let alone his play.

Speaking of Nigerian ex-players, did Babayaro spend his time 'doing a Rooney' with prossies up there? I've heard a story that he was constantly at it whilst at Chelsea.

Anyway, I'd turn down Martis for Rovers. Far too inconsistent and often missed sitters.

The best thing we ever did was ridding of two major primadonnas. Owen and Martins. I would never want to see Martins back in a black and white shirt and whats worse, in the number 9. Crap movement, crap passing and the odd good finish. He was just picking up a pay cheque (and spending it rather rapidly) and had no interest in the pride of the club. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our time in the CCC did us the world of good. We rid ourselves of the over paid knobs, got a manager who united the team and we are a better now then the shite we had 2 years back. Nuff said.

Backing Martins whilst he was here is borderline forgivable. After all he was our player so we were absolutely right to get behind him...

I'm absolutely amazed that some still rate him and, even worse, would have him back! Can only assume they had their eyes shut for most of the 08/09 season.

Typified everything that was wrong with the playing staff at NUFC.

I wouldn't like. His attitude would still be abysmal and his wages astronomical. He utterly took the piss the season we went down too, turning up for training when he felt like it and generally not giving a shit. I hope his career keeps going downhill and he keeps spending more than he's earning.