Relegation ?

LeazesMag

At the start of the season the players were keenly aware that survival is paramount and most games they played like it (half a yard quicker, more movement etc), I just wonder if some of the 'surprise' results has dulled their primal fear. The loss of key players, some unecessary defensive postures at the start of games (especially at home) and Guttierez finally showing his unhappiness is making for a very dangerous brew. If CH is the man, then this period coming up is the time to show it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admire those who think 'we'll be alright'

head-in-the-sand.jpg

Not really though.

I'm under no illusions as to the paucity of depth in our squad.

Even if Ben Arfa manages a Lazarus in January, we still need additions.

However, by comparison to 2008, I think we are better equipped to deal with a relegation scrap, if/when it comes.

The main factors I think caused us to go down in 2008 are not there- managerial farce and player apathy.

I'm not saying we won't have a few squeaky bum moments, but I do think we will stay up.

Whether we stay up or not depends on how many more games Joey Barton plays whilst abstained from alcohol, how many games Kevin Nolan plays and can score in, whether Carroll can remain focused, and whether Coloccini remains the rock in the centre of defence. We have a strong group of 14 players, and even that may be pushing it, but aside from them the rest are not up for it. Luck is required during Christmas/New Years tbh.

Even with all those first team players we've been absolutely woeful for a lot of games this season tbh. There have been some decent performances as well of course, but in general we are totally lacking any style and class. We play like a team full of cloggers managed by Sam Allardyce so a Boltonesque survival campaign seems on the card. The thing is that the decent performances were mostly down to commitment and team spirit which is going to suffer the more points we will drop. As the last time showed, it's pretty difficult to work yourself out of the relegation zone.

Its the same old though, Nolan doesnt score for a couple of games and everyone notices how utterly woeful a midfielder he is. Once he's injured thats the reason we are losing games and we need him back to replace Guthrie ASAP :lol: . . . .

Fact is we need a lot more quality in our squad. We have a starting XI capable of surviving in the bottom half of the table. If Carroll gets injured we will be lucky to finish 19th.

Its the same old though, Nolan doesnt score for a couple of games and everyone notices how utterly woeful a midfielder he is. Once he's injured thats the reason we are losing games and we need him back to replace Guthrie ASAP :lol: . . . .

Fact is we need a lot more quality in our squad. We have a starting XI capable of surviving in the bottom half of the table. If Carroll gets injured we will be lucky to finish 19th.

There is a lot of truth to both points of view though, hence the reason we're struggling.

West Brom thumped my team Everton last week so I wouldnt get too disheartened after this result tbh.

They are a very useful team and if they catch you on a bad day are capable of giving you a good going over.

Dont pin yer hopes on gosling helping you once he's back though, he wasn't all that great to start with, but after a serious injury you'll not see anything decent from him this season.

I agree with what someone else said, your a Carroll injury away from being fucked, but if he stays fit and Barfa comes back fit you'll be ok.

HUGHTON ON WAY OUT?

Posted 06/12/10 11:44

Odds on Chris Hughton being the next Premier League manager to leave his post have been slashed to 1/2 with Sky Bet.

William Hill have gone further and suspended betting after Hughton's odds to leave next were slashed from 16/1.

Hughton's Newcastle have picked up just two points from their last five games and were abject in a 3-1 defeat at West Brom on Sunday.

Hughton kept his players in the dressing-room for an hour after the game and then said: "We weren't good enough in enough departments and hence that is why we have been in there (the dressing room) so long.

"Some of it is about getting answers, some of it about venting your anger but these are the normal things that will go on after a game."

Hughton's contract at Newcastle only extends until the end of the season.

HUGHTON ON WAY OUT?

Posted 06/12/10 11:44

Odds on Chris Hughton being the next Premier League manager to leave his post have been slashed to 1/2 with Sky Bet.

William Hill have gone further and suspended betting after Hughton's odds to leave next were slashed from 16/1.

Hughton's Newcastle have picked up just two points from their last five games and were abject in a 3-1 defeat at West Brom on Sunday.

Hughton kept his players in the dressing-room for an hour after the game and then said: "We weren't good enough in enough departments and hence that is why we have been in there (the dressing room) so long.

"Some of it is about getting answers, some of it about venting your anger but these are the normal things that will go on after a game."

Hughton's contract at Newcastle only extends until the end of the season.

Here we fucking go.

Press making a crisis out of nowt.

At the start of the season the players were keenly aware that survival is paramount and most games they played like it (half a yard quicker, more movement etc), I just wonder if some of the 'surprise' results has dulled their primal fear. The loss of key players, some unecessary defensive postures at the start of games (especially at home) and Guttierez finally showing his unhappiness is making for a very dangerous brew. If CH is the man, then this period coming up is the time to show it.

Or did you just read my post which made that same point? :lol:

I think it could be a real factor, if it is, then its Hughton's job to not allow complacency to creep in. He has, so for the first time in a long time, i'm inclined to point the finger at him. That fingers turns to Ashley when you realise that the team's spirit has been much less consistent or obvious since Calderwood left.

We are just about halfway through the season, 40 points needed for safety and we have just about got half of that. Some people on this board love pushing the panic button when we get beat, one week they want CH out, the other hes a legend and just the right man for the job the week after we fear relegation. Based on our overall performances this season I cant see us being in a relegation scrap come the end of the season. We still have a lot of games which we can take points from.

Ask yourself this question, If someone said to you at the start of the season that at start of December we would be 11th in the league with 19 points, would you have been happy?

If there is substance in this then you'd better hope they have someone lined up. I mean someone proper, not fucking Joe Kinnear.

Have you seen the number of shite managers looking for a job nowadays? I'm certain Ashley will avoid the O'Neill's and instead go for Phil fucking Brown or one of his ilk.

I've said before that it's almost like Ashley and Llambias enjoy doing things that make them unpopular, like they have a special list of ways to fuck us off that they are going through. Next on the list, appoint Phil Brown..

Even with all those first team players we've been absolutely woeful for a lot of games this season tbh. There have been some decent performances as well of course, but in general we are totally lacking any style and class. We play like a team full of cloggers managed by Sam Allardyce so a Boltonesque survival campaign seems on the card. The thing is that the decent performances were mostly down to commitment and team spirit which is going to suffer the more points we will drop. As the last time showed, it's pretty difficult to work yourself out of the relegation zone.

I disagree with this. We were excellent against the scum, Villa and Arsenal and played well against Citeh (we were robbed of at least a point on the day), Chelsea, Wolves, Everton. We didn't actually play badly for the most part against Blackpool and Stoke. The only games where I think we have been pretty abject is Wigan, Blackburn and the last two away games.

Compare this to two years ago where we barely looked like we gave a fuck about trying to play decently let alone actually managing it, and I think we're much healthier and we will be ok.

Unless we add in January, Caroll stays fit for the rest of the season and Ben Arfa comes back quickly and successfully, we won't do much more than just avoid the drop but I don't think we'll go down.

I disagree with this. We were excellent against the scum, Villa and Arsenal and played well against Citeh (we were robbed of at least a point on the day), Chelsea, Wolves, Everton. We didn't actually play badly for the most part against Blackpool and Stoke. The only games where I think we have been pretty abject is Wigan, Blackburn and the last two away games.

Compare this to two years ago where we barely looked like we gave a fuck about trying to play decently let alone actually managing it, and I think we're much healthier and we will be ok.

Unless we add in January, Caroll stays fit for the rest of the season and Ben Arfa comes back quickly and successfully, we won't do much more than just avoid the drop but I don't think we'll go down.

We played well against Sunderland and Villa who totally fell apart though. Against Arsenal and Chelsea it were spirited performances from an inferior team. I can't comment on Man City and Everton as I didn't see those matches but guess we played well then. Again it was against arguably superior teams. Against Blackpool we were unlucky, but against Stoke it was an abortion of a performance. The thing is that we can't rely on just getting results against the better teams. It will be the poor performances against the of the bottom half who will cost us if we don't sort out things.

And the quality of football has been rubbish in most games tbh. If we don't go in front by two or three goals it is hoofing balls up front to Carrol or Nolan crawling into goal scoring positions.