Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ALAN Pardew says Newcastle United are “chasing” European football – despite the pitfalls of playing on the continent.

Pardew’s side are sixth in the Premier League ahead of Saturday’s game against Crystal Palace.

However, up to now Pardew has played down talk that the club, which qualified for the Europa League two seasons ago, can again finish in a European spot.

But Pardew, speaking ahead of the club’s visit to Selhurst Park, has admitted that Newcastle are in the running for a top-six place.

“The Europa League causes massive problems for Premier League teams,” said Pardew. “Swansea and Tottenham are feeling that.

“The demands of the Premier League are much greater than other leagues. It’s something we’re wary of, but we’re chasing a European spot.”

United reached the quarter finals of the Europa League last season, but the European campaign took a toll on the club’s domestic campaign.

A series of injuries decimated Pardew’s squad.

:scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a bit more movement/fluidity from us in the final third but there's no doubt that we definitely try and retain possession a lot more than the shambolic way that he had us setup last season. So credit to him for that.

I was thinking the other day that I can't remember a time when we passed the ball around so well as we are this season. I know the game has changed from a few years back and that ball retention is now more important than it used to be, but I can recall feeling the same way with Newcastle as I do about England once, in being perpetually frustrated by our inability to string passes together. It's nice to see that Pardew has us playing like this.

I'd like to see a bit more movement/fluidity from us in the final third but there's no doubt that we definitely try and retain possession a lot more than the shambolic way that he had us setup last season. So credit to him for that.

What do you think has brought on this mini-transformation?

I disagree. Was a 3 second lapse in concentration away from the plan coming off.

In what coming off, a drab 0-0 against a beatable Arsenal team?

We should have been more positive from the start and took the game to them, instead of sitting back and Remy chasing the ball around in midfield and on the wings. His pace is totally wasted in that system, he'd have the big german's life if he was playing on his shoulder instead of facing his own goal. Instead he had to feed on balls pumped into the box, ultimately zee german got MOTM because of it.

In what coming off, a drab 0-0 against a beatable Arsenal team?

We should have been more positive from the start and took the game to them, instead of sitting back and Remy chasing the ball around in midfield and on the wings. His pace is totally wasted in that system, he'd have the big german's life if he was playing on his shoulder instead of facing his own goal. Instead he had to feed on balls pumped into the box, ultimately zee german got MOTM because of it.

I think Pardew had the game plan right, but I also wondered at the point in launching crosses into the box when no one was there or Remy was on his own with both centre backs...

Tactics were spot on yesterday IMHO. Being "more positive" from the off would have seen us taken apart. Arsenal would have been out of sight by half time.

As it was, we contained each other in a game of few chances. It could have gone either way.

Tactically, it was one of the most interesting midfield battles I've seen in a while.

Yeah - I think whilst criticising our attacking intent - it's worth noting just how much better Arsenal are. Their passing technique, athleticism and skill is massively above ours. We did try to push up when we were in possession but for me it always felt like jumping face first onto the thin ice.

Especially with how often Wallcott takes the piss against us. For me our tactics were spot on.

Yeah - I think whilst criticising our attacking intent - it's worth noting just how much better Arsenal are. Their passing technique, athleticism and skill is massively above ours. We did try to push up when we were in possession but for me it always felt like jumping face first onto the thin ice.

Especially with how often Wallcott takes the piss against us. For me our tactics were spot on.

They're just better coached tbh ;)

Your going well overboard with the sucking off of Arsenal, they aren't that much better than us. I'd say Chelsea are more potent going forward than Arsenal, and look where a more positive approach against them got us. We were at home coming off the back of a 5-1 win a few days earlier, our tails should have been up and we should have got at them from the first whistle.

Like I said before the game, the first goal was massive and that's what proved to be. We never come back from being behind this season and win.

Sissoko seemed lost in that system aswell.

Apart from the other day when we came from behind and won?

If your tactical lexicon doesn't get past "positive" and "negative" I really can't be arsed to be honest.

Your going well overboard with the sucking off of Arsenal, they aren't that much better than us. I'd say Chelsea are more potent going forward than Arsenal, and look where a more positive approach against them got us. We were at home coming off the back of a 5-1 win a few days earlier, our tails should have been up and we should have got at them from the first whistle.

Like I said before the game, the first goal was massive and that's what proved to be. We never come back from being behind this season and win.

Sissoko seemed lost in that system aswell.

Such a prophet. When Arsenal scored did you then think the next goal was vital?

Pards has had a specific game plan against the big sides this season and more often than not it has worked.

Im with those saying the tactics were spot on. We restricted a very potent team to long range shooting, they got a goal out of nowhere basically.

Being in good form doesnt mean you can suddenly start thinking about ripping teams like Arsenal and Man City apart. Got to know your limits. Also got to take into account some of our players are tired, that much was obvious yesterday.

Tactics were spot on yesterday IMHO. Being "more positive" from the off would have seen us taken apart. Arsenal would have been out of sight by half time.

As it was, we contained each other in a game of few chances. It could have gone either way.

Tactically, it was one of the most interesting midfield battles I've seen in a while.

This, I think Pardew rightly feared the now common dry bumming from Walcott so he rightly wanted the play to be more condensed and tighter so when we moved up the field the whole team had to be moving to ensure we didn't get caught with a Williamson v Walcott footrace.

Our successful pressure towards the end was massively helped by Arsenal dropping deep to hold out, if we played that expansively from the start we'd have been ripped apart like you say. Playing expansively would have meant a fresh Cazorla/Wilshere would have found large gaps to thread passes through to Walcott, rather than trying to force the ball like they had to early on.

Pardew played it well tbh, the only thing that went wrong for him and was completely out of his hands was the poor play of our forwards. If Remy, Gouffran and Sissoko had been as effective as they have been for most the season the praise for Pardew would be unanimous, unfortunately for him and us they looked very leggy and played poorly.

Aye I agree, they were very hesitant to attack the ball at times. One incident in particular was where Anita put in a cracking ball and Gouffran bottled it seeing the goalie coming, if he'd flung himself at it he probably could have directed it at goal instead he jumped back from the play.