Barton on his way out?

Kid Dynamite

ESPNsoccernet understands Newcastle United would be willing to let Joey Barton go in the transfer window because of his high wages.

West Ham are keen to sign the player and Newcastle have asked for £5 million, but the Hammers would offer only £1.25 million. The offer could increase to £2 million, but only on condition that Barton, 28, takes a massive drop in his £67,000-a-week salary.

A source close to the negotiations said: "It is clear that Newcastle need to balance their books and offload some players on big wages.

"Asking £5 million is fine, but West Ham won't pay anywhere near that amount, and would want the player to take a big drop in wages before anything can happen in the January transfer window."

It has been suggested that Barton, who has just 18 months left on his contact, would like a five-and-a-half-year deal at Upton Park. West Ham would prefer a three-and-a-half-year deal.

A Hammers insider told ESPNsoccernet: "It's Joey Barton's salary that kills any deal."

The impasse suggests that, if he does move on, East London is unlikely to be his destination and several other Premier League clubs are said to be interested.

Even if a move to West Ham were to be completed, the Hammers remain keen to retain Scott Parker.

Parker, 30, has attracted interest from both Tottenham and Liverpool but his £20 million valuation is almost certain to prove prohibitive. Tottenham, who offered £7 million in the summer, are as yet only willing to up that bid by £1 million.

Manager Avram Grant certainly expects to keep the key midfielder. He said: "I am confident Scott will stay. He is a good player for us. West Ham is a good club for him too. He has developed this season. Before everyone was saying 'it's not good that he's at West Ham', but this season has been his best so far so it's good for him to stay and he is good for the club."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's lazy journalism on the back of Willie Mckay saying the club had turned down an initial offer from West Ham.

http://www.teamtalk.com/newcastle-united/6...mmitted-to-Toon

"There are other sides interested in Joey as I have had five or six phone calls from teams asking about Joey's availability.

"If these interested clubs make an offer for Joey then it is up to the two clubs to agree a deal and once that happens then we can sit down and discuss a possible move."

Doesn't sound convincing that he's going nowhere, does it?

well personally barton has become a nusense since he came to us so i say let him go yes hes played well but hes got such a bad temper we dont need to have players been constently sent off

well personally barton has become a nusense since he came to us so i say let him go yes hes played well but hes got such a bad temper we dont need to have players been constently sent off

How often you think he has been sent off like? He's one of our best players imo.

How often you think he has been sent off like? He's one of our best players imo.

scousers man, never fans of JB

Once isn't it? Should've been sent off against Blackburn like. That Carroll's a bad lad too, I hope we sell him as well.

Sent off against Liverpool but recieved two other bans. The Blackburn one and the six match one with the other 6 matches "suspended" from the Dabo incident. Suppose you could include his time locked up for the McDonalds thing as it prevented him from playing.

While I agree that he has played well so far this season (for Joey Barton standards), I still feel he is not the guy for NUFC in the midfield going forward. So as long as they replace him in the January window with a Tiote, Ben Arfa type player (which may be a pipe dream now that Hughton is gone), I say good riddance.

In the Summer I would have accepted a bid. However, he has seemingly turned the corner and is now an asset.

I suspect a lot of wheeling and dealing in January with Pardew trying to get his own players in.

Edited by Holden McGroin

While I agree that he has played well so far this season (for Joey Barton standards), I still feel he is not the guy for NUFC in the midfield going forward. So as long as they replace him in the January window with a Tiote, Ben Arfa type player (which may be a pipe dream now that Hughton is gone), I say good riddance.

Unfuckingbelievable ;)

Noone can do a decent set-piece but Joey Barton, at this moment he is probably our most important player after the obvious Carroll, Enrique Tiote. If we get another set-piece taker in then fine, but we wont. And at present he is even worth his ridiculous wages. Ive had enough of watching Danny Guthrie.

him and smith are as bad as each other they both have tempers sell them both in january would be good selling carroll no hes our best player

Think you missed out Guthrie a shambolic display at West Brom and the two other championship players on the books Routledge/Perch would keep Barton, think he's done a decent job when on the park.

him and smith are as bad as each other they both have tempers sell them both in january would be good selling carroll no hes our best player

Would be good selling Carroll, as he's our best player? Honestly, mate your points are relevant, you just need the odd full stop to breakdown your arguements.

On Barton; As the squad stands at the moment we need him. If we can replace him with a (David Bentley, out there I know) or another set piece taker I don't think we'd miss him. His wages are high but I'd rather cut the squad by 3 (Guthrie, Best, Saylor) and save the funds that way. If Leon Best is on over £300 a week it's a disgrace. I'd have him and Guthrie on minimum wage, paid for when they're there.

Does anyone know if Gosling offers anything in terms of set-pieces and crossing?

in terms of technical ability, ben arfa aside, he's our best player. shame about his hot headedness. if we lost him we lose our creativity from centre midfield or right midfield.