Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALAN Pardew insists that Newcastle’s January spending spree does not spell the end of the line for Sammy Ameobi and company at the club.

The United manager could barely conceal his delight at signing five players last week, asserting that they have had a hugely beneficial impact on his existing squad.

But lost amid the optimism is what it means for the clubs younger players, who failed to grasp their opportunities in the first half of the season.

Pardew says there is still a future at the club for Shane Ferguson and Sammy Ameobi, but added that he will send them out to the Football League next month with a message to emulate Curtis Good, the Australian defender who looks set to play in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley next month with League Two outfit Bradford City.

Pardew said: “I still have high hopes for Sammy, for Fergie.

“It’s a good question at this time, because I think they need to go out and get eight or nine games under their belt, perhaps at Championship level, to get their confidence back.

“They’ve had to come into a losing situation and we’ve had to ask three or four of them to go into the team and pick us up. It’s very, very difficult that. I have some sympathy for them.

“There is a route and Adam Campbell is another one who is actually very unlucky not to travel with this group because he’s been doing really well in training.

“The most ideal situation for this club is to produce our own and we’ll be looking at that very, very strongly in the summer in terms of trying to improve that area.”

Pardew also addressed his own previous declaration that there should be three British players in every Premier League team – a statement that has come back to haunt him after United’s French shopping mission.

He said there is no hypocrisy about managing a team that could put out its first all-foreign XI tonight, asserting that the market has made it difficult for the club to recruit British players.

“I thought it would be a nice rule,” he said. “It’s not the rule, though. I think it’s very important to promote British players

“But unfortunately the market makes it very difficult.

“Chief executives and chairmen need to understand that sometimes players need opportunities.”

Pardew also confirmed Good would stay at Valley Parade until the end of the season – but expects him to be challenging for United’s first team next season.

“When Curtis comes back in the summer I expect him to be really pushing, but it’s right where he is right now – for Bradford and for us,” he said.

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/01/29/newcastle-united-youngsters-to-go-out-on-loan-deals-61634-32700171/#ixzz2JMHM6SAz

:cry:

Aye, Im sure it will do him well. Not so sure Sammy will be a big hit in the rough and tumble of the championship.

Why not? Look at somebody like Tom Ince. He's almost as slight as Sammy and is doing fine.

Why not? Look at somebody like Tom Ince. He's almost as slight as Sammy and is doing fine.

I know nowt about him only that he is some sort of rising star that quite a few of the big clubs are sniffing around. (ie he is obviously one of the exceptional youngsters).

I just cant see Sammys fancy dan stuff going down well on loan. One thing for us to give our own young uns little tasters but I cant think the phone will be ringing off the hook to get him.

I'd say Ince is a bit more experienced and a better footballer all round, it could take Sammy a while to get to that stage.

I'd say Ince is a bit more experienced and a better footballer all round, it could take Sammy a while to get to that stage.

I agree. I'm just saying it is possible and the way Christmas Tree is making things sound is that the Championship is full of cloggers and nobody with skill plays there whatsoever. Especially as he doesn't actually watch any football apart from our games.

I agree. I'm just saying it is possible and the way Christmas Tree is making things sound is that the Championship is full of cloggers and nobody with skill plays there whatsoever. Especially as he doesn't actually watch any football apart from our games.

Dont be such a tit. Im saying he may struggle in the championship (basically because I think he's shit) and you are using one of the best youngsters in the championship to argue against my point.

Then why didn't you say because you think he's shit?

He and Ferguson are at the same level for me. Both are unproven youngsters that are out of there depth at the moment so need to be given a chance.

Given your track record of bigging up players like Lua-Lua and Ferguson perhaps you should reserve your judgement?

He's a battler though not scared to get stuck in, an ex Gaelic footy hard boy. I seriously think Sammy will snap.

He hasn't shown any battling qualities to me in his recent appearances for the first team. He's looked totally lost.

Out of all of our youngsters at the moment coming from the academy that I've saw play Campbell looks to me to be the best prospect. Not only does he have the attributes but he has an excellent footballing brain too.

He hasn't shown any battling qualities to me in his recent appearances for the first team. He's looked totally lost.

Yeah, but we disagree on the reason. When he broke through he would go rampaging forward, get stuck in and fear no one. Its quite clear to me that Pardew has coached him into a more reserved Jonas type player. Caution first, hold back.

Im sure he'll blossom out on loan.

Yeah, but we disagree on the reason. When he broke through he would go rampaging forward, get stuck in and fear no one. Its quite clear to me that Pardew has coached him into a more reserved Jonas type player. Caution first, hold back.

Im sure he'll blossom out on loan.

Because it's his level? ;)

Both Shane and Sammy will never be Premiership players imo. They both have maybe one attribute

A bit harsh considering early days and all, but from what I've seen of them so far, cant say I disagree.