Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he mean we are playing hardball over wages or Ireland is?

I think he means Villa are although I suspect that means Ireland won't take a cut (why should he? I suppose).

I think we're playing hardball. I doubt Ireland would have to take a cut(yet), it's probably more along the lines of what % NUFC are willing to contribute(at a reported £72k p/w).

Aye, I just thought Edwards meant Villa are (as well), as it makes more sense in relation to what he says about them wanting rid etc.

I wonder if Ireland would want to sign for NUFC on a permanent contract in the summer for circa £40k/week (max)? If he does sign on loan now and resurrects his career, we could, effectively, just be putting him in the shop window for others to buy at a later date. I wonder if these 'option to buy' loans are arranged with wages in mind upon a permanent transfer? Otherwise, what would the point be in doing it in the first instance?

I wonder if Ireland would want to sign for NUFC on a permanent contract in the summer for circa £40k/week (max)? If he does sign on loan now and resurrects his career, we could, effectively, just be putting him in the shop window for others to buy at a later date. I wonder if these 'option to buy' loans are arranged with wages in mind upon a permanent transfer? Otherwise, what would the point be in doing it in the first instance?

Theres not a hells chance that he would want a move and risk it going tits up again imo.

Theres a very special togetherness with this squad that I think would make anyone who is doing well within it, think really long and hard before moving on.

thinking about it, he'd probably be poison. he's mentally weak, and the likes of competing for a place with barton and nolan, would probably put him in to his shell....

jury is out for me.

Tbf though Bartons best form this season was when he was playing RW and Nolans when he playing off Carroll. Ireland would be a perfect foil for Tiote who likes to sit.

I actually think Nolan has been better when we've played 2 upfront and he's been alongside Tiote. Would Ireland perhaps play further forward, off the striker? Assuming he ever arrives.

I think this loan / with option to buy is a smart move, as we did with Ben Arfa. According to Mirror we are close to agreeing such a deal, the negotiation is how much we will pay of his wages to Villa

I'd consider giving him a try on loan, but not an immediate transfer deal.

I actually think Nolan has been better when we've played 2 upfront and he's been alongside Tiote. Would Ireland perhaps play further forward, off the striker? Assuming he ever arrives.

Tis cause as a midfielder you're less like;y to always e picked up by their opposing midfielder, but when you're a striker or in behind a lone striker they'll have a defender there exclusively to defend. Nolan is at his best when he's ghosting into the box late, or treading on their goalkeepers toes. If he's marked he struggles.

Tis cause as a midfielder you're less like;y to always e picked up by their opposing midfielder, but when you're a striker or in behind a lone striker they'll have a defender there exclusively to defend. Nolan is at his best when he's ghosting into the box late, or treading on their goalkeepers toes. If he's marked he struggles.

Also doesn't really have the ability to play with his back to goal. Before anyone takes this too literally I know he's scored goals with his back to goal but most people will know what I mean ;)

thinking about it, he'd probably be poison. he's mentally weak, and the likes of competing for a place with barton and nolan, would probably put him in to his shell....

jury is out for me.

I'm with you on that one. He seems incredibly dense, even by footballer standards.

jury is out for me.

To be fair he doesn't seem to be a disruptive influence in the dressing room, he just comes across as a bit mentally unstable. He's worth the risk on a loan deal.

It's only Sky Sports, but they are saying that Ireland is having a medical at St. James' :

@skysportsrobp:

An update on Stephen Ireland, with Sky Sports News being told that the Villa midfielder is to have a medical at St James' Park ahead of a proposed loan switch to Newcastle.