Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Not sure if it's been addressed, and this is aimed at LM mainly following earlier posts with him. Spurs have came out and pretty much said they need to sell before they buy. With that in mind, would it be right to say each club had a limit that they couldnt go past, especially if previous targets had not been met? We spoke about being speculative, or needing to be to progress. Is this the right thing to do for Spurs? Or should they just spend regardless if they want to improve on last season?

They never have to any extent, if they do now, it'll be a first for them.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's been addressed, and this is aimed at LM mainly following earlier posts with him. Spurs have came out and pretty much said they need to sell before they buy. With that in mind, would it be right to say each club had a limit that they couldnt go past, especially if previous targets had not been met? We spoke about being speculative, or needing to be to progress. Is this the right thing to do for Spurs? Or should they just spend regardless if they want to improve on last season?

Good luck getting a streight answer

More than likely you will get a quote about league positions,Robert and Bellamy or champions league, oh and the obligatory smiley too

More than likely you will get a quote about league positions,Robert and Bellamy or champions league, oh and the obligatory smiley too

Better luck spelling it ;)

(Grammar lessons off CT.......The shame)

Most peoples wet dream will be if we spend what we've pulled in from sales.

Most people don't think we'll get close though.

indeed, I have said numerous times that I never wanted us to spend unlimited money, I said at the time Allardyce was appointed that it was, in my view, and admission that they realised that they had to curb the spending and "re-group" as they did the first few years of Bobby Robson's appointment. Then they speculated on Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert and we got into the top places again. But you only do this if you want to and are prepared to speculate, Mike Ashley isn't.

Nowt wrong with that. However, it doesn't mean you have to sell your best players and impose wage caps and spending caps on a long term basis [which is what he has done], this is not "re-grouping" it is a lowering of standards. There is no excuse for NUFC resorting to being a selling club again like it was under McKeag, Seymour etc but sadly that is what we now are. It is clearly the case and has been since he got his feet under the table.

No doubt Spurs will re-group, if they have to, and of course it is the right thing to do for them, but I bet they don't go down the route that we have taken under Mike Ashley.

you're right, but that is because it is the correct answer.

Im reserving judgement. I'd say going into this window our best players were Colo, Enrique, Barton, Tiote and potentially Ben Arfa (from the little I saw of him). For us to sell our best players, thats who I'd expect to leave and be replaced with lesser quality (if replaced at all).

If (we dont know for certain), we have put a good offer to Enrique and he is sitting on it (waiting for a better offer before deciding?), then Im not sure what else the club can do. If we accept bids on Colo Id be pissed. If we accept bids on Tiote or Ben Arfa I'd say you're totally correct.

At the moment we have let an overvalued Carroll go (ok not this window but I think it should be counted as such) which could become a blessing IF the money is reinvested and Ive yet to see evidence of that. Also let Nolan go which was an odd one but it depends on how much Nolan was fighting to stay or just for a long contract. too long?.

All remains to be seen of course.

Re: the banning from Skunkers. I'd guess Stevie hadn't posted for a few months before the recent change-over. I can no longer access my account and it reads as though I'm banned too.

Re: the banning from Skunkers. I'd guess Stevie hadn't posted for a few months before the recent change-over. I can no longer access my account and it reads as though I'm banned too.

http://www.skunkers.net//forum.php

click on "Forum" rather than "home".

There is a fault with the setting for "home", it says you are banned when you are not.

There is a fault with the setting for "home", it says you are banned when you are not.

It's not a fault, everyone gets that page, its Windaz's idea of an idiot test, it appears some people have failed it ;)

It's not a fault, everyone gets that page, its Windaz's idea of an idiot test, it appears some people have failed it :lol:

hohoho ;)

indeed, I have said numerous times that I never wanted us to spend unlimited money, I said at the time Allardyce was appointed that it was, in my view, and admission that they realised that they had to curb the spending and "re-group" as they did the first few years of Bobby Robson's appointment. Then they speculated on Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert and we got into the top places again. But you only do this if you want to and are prepared to speculate, Mike Ashley isn't.

Nowt wrong with that. However, it doesn't mean you have to sell your best players and impose wage caps and spending caps on a long term basis [which is what he has done], this is not "re-grouping" it is a lowering of standards. There is no excuse for NUFC resorting to being a selling club again like it was under McKeag, Seymour etc but sadly that is what we now are. It is clearly the case and has been since he got his feet under the table.

No doubt Spurs will re-group, if they have to, and of course it is the right thing to do for them, but I bet they don't go down the route that we have taken under Mike Ashley.

Absolutely spot on - its just baffling that more people can't see it.

Tbh - I'd rather we didn't spend £35 million for the sake of spending £35 million. As long as we bring in the right calibre of player, that will help us push on the league, I don't really care how much they cost.

Just to balance out this post (I fucking hate Ashley and Llambias)

Tbh - I'd rather we didn't spend £35 million for the sake of spending £35 million. As long as we bring in the right calibre of player, that will help us push on the league, I don't really care how much they cost.

Just to balance out this post (I fucking hate Ashley and Llambias)

Agreed

Incoming - Been happy with the signings so far. Won't be happy if we don't bring in another proven (non crock) striker though, and a right back. At least.

Outbound - gutted to lose Nolan. He held all the cards and ashley is happy to fold when that's the case. Just hope we don't see too many more first teamers cut loose.

Agreed in principle. I dont mind him not spending every penny of the £35M, what I am sure everyone wants is just an improved squad over last season. That would be progress. At the moment, Im concerned about the lack of another forward and the general depth of the squad.

Better luck spelling it ;)

(Grammar lessons off CT.......The shame)

Cheers for that,lol

Predictive txt on my phone

Absolutely spot on - its just baffling that more people can't see it.

exactly, I'm not necessarily looking to spend the entire 35m quid in this whole window [although if we did and bought obvious quality, then I for one would stop criticising Mike Ashley], just a sign the club realises that if it wants good players it's got to attract them and as much as people are disguising support for Ashley [whether they realise it or not] by adopting a one man crusade to rid football of all the greedy bastard footballers, the fact is, the only thing it is doing is lowering the clubs standards and damaging its profile in the footalling world.

Players aren't daft, they are no different to anybody in any walk of life. They know when another employer is more attractive to "work" for in terms of career prospects and monetary rewards and non-monetary rewards, and the sad thing is, Newcastle United are not one of the biggest attractions for players anymore.

I wait with baited breath for August 31st, and someone to leave the club, and be told "we tried our best to keep him", "the offer was too good to turn down", "it was too late to replace him" and "the money will be re-invested in the club during the next transfer window", "our aim is to push on and qualify for europe within a few years".

etc etc.

Edited by LeazesMag

If you can't spend 35M in a decent way then you need better scouts. There's loads of players out there that would improve our team. There's no excuse for not having identified a plethora of targets allowing for the fact that not every club is a selling club and that some players will be in demand and will prefer to go elsewhere. They've had since January to do so.

Of course I'm not gong to pass full judgement until the window is closed and of course not every signing is going to turn out to be a perfect fit but you have to go for the ones that your team of scouts and manager recommend then hope for the best.

If you can't spend 35M in a decent way then you need better scouts . There's loads of players out there that would improve our team. There's no excuse for not having identified a plethora of targets allowing for the fact that not every club is a selling club and that some players will be in demand and will prefer to go elsewhere. They've had since January to do so.

Of course I'm not gong to pass full judgement until the window is closed and of course not every signing is going to turn out to be a perfect fit but you have to go for the ones that your team of scouts and manager recommend then hope for the best.

exactly. Replacing Shola Ameobi and Peter Lovenkrands with 35m in your pocket, surely a fairly easy job, maybe it will task the - according to CT - genius of Graham Carr to the utmost. But if you've only got a few million, a lot more difficult.

The 64 dollar question.

For me, it was answered years ago.

Tbh i don't really think Ashley's looking at players to improve the team in places we need. He seems to be going for players who have a minimum fee release clause/frees. So I'm expecting more players to come in, and plug gaps that we dont have or players we dont need.

Ba - free

Marveaux - free

Cabaye - £4.3 million release clause

N - Taylor £1000000+ release clause (although I realise we never signed him, we went in and we re close to getting him)

I really don't think we'd have signed these players if we had to pay a fee or larger fee for them

Tbh i don't really think Ashley's looking at players to improve the team in places we need. He seems to be going for players who have a minimum fee release clause/frees. So I'm expecting more players to come in, and plug gaps that we dont have or players we dont need.

Ba - free

Marveaux - free

N - Taylor £1000000+ release clause (although I realise we never signed him, we went in and we re close to getting him)

I really don't think we'd have signed these players if we had to pay a fee or larger fee for them

good summing up. In other words, using the club to buy cheap, and sell on. A selling club.

Ba - free

Marveaux - free

good summing up. In other words, using the club to buy cheap, and sell on. A selling club.

Thing is its Ashley's business ethic, just look at how he runs Sports Direct. Buy cheap and flog it on for a profit, why oh why some people here think he will run NUFC any differently from his other business's beats the shit out of me.

Ba - free

Marveaux - free

I'm not sure I agree.

We needed a good striker so Ba fits the bill. We needed a good left footed winger (Jonas is right footed) so Marveaux fits the bill. If we assume HBA is primarily a support striker, we needed a good midfielder with Nolan going so Cabaye fits the bill. So you can argue these players have been signed for positions we do need. So I'm pretty happy with that tbh - they could be shit for us but you take that risk with any player, just look at Juan Sebastian Veron.

That's not saying that these signings are enough. We need more, especially imo a proven striker and a top CB, plus possibly a RB (and that's assuming Jonas, Enrique, Barton and Collo stay). But I don't think it's fair to judge whether we've plugged the gaps that need filling until the transfer window shuts.

As far as signing them cos they're cheap's concerned, I'm sure you're right. It's good business if they turn out to be good players for us (Ba already looks a top player though) but could be a waste of money (see Perch). imo the issue with Ba and Marveaux is the injury position and it won't be a bargain if they're always injured a la Carr and Babayaro.

If we don't get in a proven striker, I think you'll have a point. Generally that costs a fortune - look at this Wickham guy, a fee of something like 12 mill for a guy that's young and never played top level footy. For me we really need to stick our hands in our pockets and get someone like Sturridge that we know can do the job.

Ba - free

Marveaux - free

Thing is its Ashley's business ethic, just look at how he runs Sports Direct. Buy cheap and flog it on for a profit, why oh why some people here think he will run NUFC any differently from his other business's beats the shit out of me.

Thing is he already has done it differently. When he first came in he spunked money on players as well as the next playboy owner. That isn't to say he'll do it that way again necessarily, but your point is contradictory in that NUFC has already been shown to be the very enterprise in which he has departed from his 'normal business ethic'.